Manny Lawson overrated?

rexrobinson

Reaction score
Ok, the interview is over and I will post the recap
  • Lawson feels that he is very similar to DeMarcus Ware and thinks he can have a similar rookie year as Ware.
  • Lawson says he is familiar with the 3-4 system.
  • When asked about if he can take credit to Mario Williams success and possible draft success, he said "I cannot take any credit for Mario".
  • He claims to have no preference to play DE or OLB
  • He agreed with the comparison to Jevon Kearse.
  • He believes his quickness will be his best asset.
  • Lawson has been told to expect to be picked anywhere from late first round to early second.
  • He says he would love to play for Dallas and would enjoy the weather (he mentioned the dry heat)
  • He clamined to not know much about Parcells except that he is a great coach and is one who will take the Cowboys as far as possible.
  • He is having a family reunion for his draft party and will take it one hour at a time.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
Ok, the interview is over and I will post the recap
  • Lawson feels that he is very similar to DeMarcus Ware and thinks he can have a similar rookie year as Ware.
  • Lawson says he is familiar with the 3-4 system.
  • When asked about if he can take credit to Mario Williams success and possible draft success, he said "I cannot take any credit for Mario".
  • He claims to have no preference to play DE or OLB
  • He agreed with the comparison to Jevon Kearse.
  • He believes his quickness will be his best asset.
  • Lawson has been told to expect to be picked anywhere from late first round to early second.
  • He says he would love to play for Dallas and would enjoy the weather (he mentioned the dry heat)
  • He clamined to not know much about Parcells except that he is a great coach and is one who will take the Cowboys as far as possible.
  • He is having a family reunion for his draft party and will take it one hour at a time.
Nice. Was he asked about Ware or did he mention him on his own?

rexrobinson

Reaction score
Manny Lawson brought up DeMarcus Ware while explaining who he thinks he is most like in the NFL.

I have heard him state this before though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
Manny Lawson brought up DeMarcus Ware while explaining who he thinks he is most like in the NFL.

I have heard him state this before though.
I was just thinking the repeated Dallas references might indicate where he expects to land in the draft. Given its a SA radio station, this may just be playing to the audience.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
theogt said:
I was just thinking the repeated Dallas references might indicate where he expects to land in the draft. Given its a SA radio station, this may just be playing to the audience.

Probably so to a point, he was extremely polite and with a lot of the answers he stayed on the politically correct side of things. He is smart and knows how to interview.

But he is a lot like Ware in the sense he is a 4-3 DE who is known for being a freakish athlete.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The whole mannylove tags are as childish as the ones against those who support Henson.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
The whole mannylove tags are as childish as the ones against those who support Henson.

Childish? Maybe.

Funny as hell? Absolutely.

To be fair it only applies to about 3-4 people here at the zone. Most people understand his weaknesses and what it truly means to our defense to draft him. Others completely disregard the facts about him as well as what our defense really needs. Those guys are the MannyLovers.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Carpenter would be a good pick. He certainly is the SAFE pick. I just happen to think that Lawson has more potential. Carpenter will help out more NOW; Lawson MAY be better later.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Carpenter would be a good pick. He certainly is the SAFE pick. I just happen to think that Lawson has more potential. Carpenter will help out more NOW; Lawson MAY be better later.

You need to be more specific with the "More potential" line.

More potential as a WOLB? Absolutely.

More potential as a SOLB? Absolutely not.

works for me....if i have another son I shall dub him Manny.

And if I have a son I'll name him Bobby. It would have nothing to do with Bobby Carpenter though. I'd just want a Bobby Jr (yes, my name is Bobby :D).

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
we were saying the same things about Demarcus Ware last year....
1) he didn't play against top tier competition; Lawson did
2) no experience playing LB; Lawson not only has some LB experience but has shown good ability in coverage on at least one occasion
3) Suspicious because he wasnt considered a top pick until combine time; of course Lawson being selected MVP by his peers, on a defense with incredible talent...that says something
4) Picking a guy from a small school without eye-popping stats in the top 11. Lawson played at a big school, against great competition, put up very good stats, and the 18 pick is much different than 11.

If you watch even draft highlight clips of both Lawson and Ware you'll see similar things: ridiculous speed for size, running down ballcarriers from behind, ability to beat a blocker..or two, great size and agility, and the ability to get to the QB...QUICKLY. In fact, I'd say that based on just predraft clips, it'd be easier to get excited about Lawson than Ware and Ware was pretty good.

I'm not claiming to know what Ireland and BP are thinking or saying that we should definitely get Lawson but the above are the reasons I like him so much. Having two Ware-type players would be a bonus I think. The big bonus of running a 3-4 vice a 4-3 was the ability to disguise where the blitzer was coming from. Right now, teams know that Ware is rushing the QB everytime because we don't have anyone else capable of getting there except in the Nickel with Ellis on third down. With Lawson on the other side it gives us the option of sending either guy, dropping the other into coverage, and still know that the dude we send is going to get to the QB.
I think Carpenter would be a great pick also, I'm just more intrigued by Lawson's size, speed, agility, leaping, and freakish athletic ability.

Nice post.