Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend is a Hoax *Merge*

Rogah

Reaction score
Risen Star;4973663 said:
According to our own Tom Ciskowski this won't effect his draft stock much.
NFL teams won't give 2 turds about this whole hoax thing so long as he can run and hit and tackle, which is certainly something he has shown he can do with the best of 'em. College players have done far, far worse and still been drafted. I believe Lawrence Phillips was drafted 5th or 6th overall.

While this does potentially raise red flags about Te'o's future reliability, it is worth noting that as far as football goes, he was never anything short of the ideal player. IMHO, he has fallen, but only by a small amount. I think he has gone from a top-5 prospect to a top-half of the first round prospect.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4973663 said:
According to our own Tom Ciskowski this won't effect his draft stock much.
I doubt it will affect where teams rank him, but I bet they do a whole lot of investigating about it.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
I believe him. I dont think he was in on it, or that he is gay.

I think he fell for this girl online. He was embarrassed, so he lied about meeting her.

Humiliation, but hopefully it shall pass and he learns from it.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Rogah;4973708 said:
Except, in this instance, when we talk about his abysmal performance in the national championship game, we're not talking about a player playing a game in the immediate aftermath of a death or severe illness to a family member or friend. We're talking about a guy who knew the national media was about to blow his hoax situation wide open and it would have permanent consequences on his life.

What we had in late December was a guy whose life was falling to pieces and whose hoax, perpretated on the national level, was about to be blown wide open.

Dude, you should have just left it as it was.

Each of your posts just get sillier, .. now you are saying that the death of his grandma, who helped raise him, and the death of the "love of his life" on the same day was really not a big deal, and he was able to go ahead and play that day, and play well after these back to back tragedies.

But when his reputaion was at risk, he couldn't concentrate to practice or play football. :rolleyes:

I think you give Te'O and his level of mental toughness very little credit.

But if that makes you feel better little leprechaun, you go with that.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
17yearsandcounting;4973638 said:
Because a lawyerd up no camera interview at Friday midnight just screams "I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE"

No, it screams he has to protect himself. If his story was used to raise money for anyone he could possibly be sued for fraud. If I was him I would be walking around with a lawyer as well. He has to protect himself from those who did this to him and from those who think he did something wrong.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rogah;4973721 said:
NFL teams won't give 2 turds about this whole hoax thing so long as he can run and hit and tackle, which is certainly something he has shown he can do with the best of 'em. College players have done far, far worse and still been drafted. I believe Lawrence Phillips was drafted 5th or 6th overall.

While this does potentially raise red flags about Te'o's future reliability, it is worth noting that as far as football goes, he was never anything short of the ideal player. IMHO, he has fallen, but only by a small amount. I think he has gone from a top-5 prospect to a top-half of the first round prospect.

That's pretty much what Ciskowski said. It may drop him a tad but nothing significant.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4973749 said:
I doubt it will affect where teams rank him, but I bet they do a whole lot of investigating about it.

I know I would look into it. He'd have to interview great to maintain his top 10-15 status for me.

CashMan

Reaction score
Holdenteller67;4974365 said:
He was trying to gain sympathy votes for the Heisman.

I have to say, I HATE college football, but I LOVE the NFL draft. But, my wife went to St. Mary's, which is like right next door to ND, and she is a big ND fan. So, this year, I actually watched all the ND games, and I gotta say, I did fall for it.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Gemini Dolly;4973769 said:
I believe him. I dont think he was in on it, or that he is gay.

I think he fell for this girl online. He was embarrassed, so he lied about meeting her.

Humiliation, but hopefully it shall pass and he learns from it.

He appears in interviews to be going out of his way to bringing her up as an inspiration, etc. and this includes interviews after he supposedly learned of the hoax. I don't buy it. The story he wants us to believe is that his friend was behind all of it, which included her untimely death right after his grandmother died, right before a huge game.

The more simple explanation is that he was also in on it, and used the story to garner more attention and awards. He even has stated that his goal is to create a big impact on people. He apparently fantasizes about this so much that he concocted a way to do so on a bigger scale than his mere football play could accomplish. This would have never recoiled had it not been tipped to the media by one person.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Rogah;4973715 said:
That statement is 100% true. But lots of women get raped without committing suicide.
You're absolutely right: Nothing has been proven either way (although you're wrong when you say there has been no investigation). And that's why I'm glad that I live in a country where, in situations where nothing is proven, the assumption of innocence is afforded to the accused (despite what other people in here seem to think, it turns out that the "presumption of innocence" is still the law of the land here in these United States).

Rogah;4973698 said:
Your problem is that your sole piece of evidence - beyond your irrational hatred of all things Notre Dame - is a woman who was mentally deranged enough to actually commit suicide. I hate to paint such a harsh, unflattering view of this woman, but clinically speaking suicide is evidence that she just wasn't playing with a full deck.

You presume she wasn't playing with a full deck prior to the alleged rape and not as the result of the alleged rape. She is also entitled to the "presumption of innocence". You can't just assume she is guilty of making false accusations.

http://www.suicide.org/rape-victims-prone-to-suicide.html

joseephuss

Reaction score
Holdenteller67;4974365 said:
He was trying to gain sympathy votes for the Heisman.

He wasn't a Heisman favorite at the start of the season. That is quite a gamble.

I think he got duped good. He then made things worse for himself by embellishing the extent of his relationship.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
joseephuss;4974712 said:
I think he got duped good. He then made things worse for himself by embellishing the extent of his relationship.

His mistake was not coming forward and going public when he first found out she was not real.

I think if he came out then, .. people would have still thought he was weird, but nobody would be against him or questioning him like they are now.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
joseephuss;4974699 said:
You presume she wasn't playing with a full deck prior to the alleged rape and not as the result of the alleged rape. She is also entitled to the "presumption of innocence". You can't just assume she is guilty of making false accusations.

I'm sure we as guys can not even begin to fathom the trauma, the shame, the mind-altering, life changing event such as a rape.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4977466 said:
I just wonder how he could claim it was a serious relationship when he never even kissed her.

Or looked in her eyes or held her hand, or smelled her neck.

honyock

Reaction score
Nirvana;4974411 said:
He appears in interviews to be going out of his way to bringing her up as an inspiration, etc. and this includes interviews after he supposedly learned of the hoax. I don't buy it. The story he wants us to believe is that his friend was behind all of it, which included her untimely death right after his grandmother died, right before a huge game.

The more simple explanation is that he was also in on it, and used the story to garner more attention and awards. He even has stated that his goal is to create a big impact on people. He apparently fantasizes about this so much that he concocted a way to do so on a bigger scale than his mere football play could accomplish. This would have never recoiled had it not been tipped to the media by one person.

It's also possible that both are true. He got hoaxed, AND he used the story and embellished it for attention or sympathy or whatever his motivations were.

At this point I'm buying that he probably was innocent in this at least at first - weird, yes, but he fell victim to a fraud - but he embellished and played to the crowd as he got in deeper and deeper. Not exactly an endorsement of his judgement and equilibrium, but right now I doubt it's more than that.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the part about the Cardinals fullback and Polamalu claiming they'd met her? :confused: