Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend is a Hoax *Merge*

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Rogah;4972350 said:
They obviously have to control the damage to their reputation.
I have to admit I don't watch many news programs, but did Congress revoke the notion that people are innocent until proven guilty in this country?

Geez, I know I don't watch much news but I thought I'd have at least heard about something that big.

Yeah, the girl that got bullied into killing herself after being gangraped by ND ballers was clearly just pulling a Te'o.

joseephuss

Reaction score

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Rogah;4972350 said:
They obviously have to control the damage to their reputation.
I have to admit I don't watch many news programs, but did Congress revoke the notion that people are innocent until proven guilty in this country?

Geez, I know I don't watch much news but I thought I'd have at least heard about something that big

You obviously don't post much on this board. Everyone knows that at cowboyszone.com, if you are charged with a crime, you must be guilty as the innocent don't get charged.

Rogah

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4972412 said:
Oh, you are right, I know nothing about football, or even sports in general.:laugh2:
While I cannot comment on how much or how little you know about other sports, I can say that given the ignorance that you're displaying in this thread, it certainly seems like that is the case regarding football.

Rogah

Reaction score
17yearsandcounting;4972473 said:
Yeah, the girl that got bullied into killing herself after being gangraped by ND ballers was clearly just pulling a Te'o.
Seems that you're another individual who seems to have heard of the repeal of "innocent until proven guilty." I sure wish I had heard that news story when it broke....

The fact that the girl in question went so far as to kill herself speaks volumes about her mental health and well being.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Rogah;4972790 said:
Seems that you're another individual who seems to have heard of the repeal of "innocent until proven guilty." I sure wish I had heard that news story when it broke....

The fact that the girl in question went so far as to kill herself speaks volumes about her mental health and well being.

Or it speaks volumes about the level of cover up ND is capable of, and the level of brutality they inflicted on the victim.

crazytown41

Reaction score
So now this clown is doing an off camera interview on ESPN with his lawyers present?

Something shady is definitely going on here now. 0% this guy was just duped by this "girl"

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
crazytown41;4973221 said:
So now this clown is doing an off camera interview on ESPN with his lawyers present?

Something shady is definitely going on here now. 0% this guy was just duped by this "girl"

With his lawyers? Oh man, this guy is so, so scared.

He was just media hype anyway, but this is hilarious.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I believe Te'o as far as I can throw him, which is zero anything.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Lieing to the media isnt anywhere near a criminal offense.

If he has to have lawyers with him at an interview, I'd bet that ND is alot more screwed than anyone realized.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The recent ESPN article, to me, seems to cement that he's not trusted. They give a small sample size of twitter messages straight from the guy who reportedly did it and they sure seem a bit perplexing.

Even if he wasn't in on it, his credibility is done as he continued to float the narrative. Expect some serious mental evaluations from teams when researching the guy.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
I personally believe Te'o. He is a bit of a fool for having been strung along for so long but I can understand how it happened. I also understand why he told the white lies so people didn't realize he never met her. Keep in mind he is Mormon, and they take abstinence very seriously. This is why he wasn't at parties pulling all kinds of tail. I don't want to defend him, I just don't see the reason for him to be in on the scam and understand how he could have been duped for so long.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Rogah;4972779 said:
While I cannot comment on how much or how little you know about other sports, I can say that given the ignorance that you're displaying in this thread, it certainly seems like that is the case regarding football.

No, displaying ignorance .. is not knowing the many many instances of football players, coaches, or any athlete in general that have gone on and played in a game following a death, or severe illness to a family member or friend.

I gave a few examples to support my stance earlier in this thread, .. Andy Reid is another example.

You say twice earlier in the thread that you don't watch the news much, .. perhaps you should before you speak to something that you obviously don't know anything about, .. which actually is the definition of ignorance.

To suggest that Te'O was embarassed in the National Championship game because of the lies that he has perpetuated sounds like something that he, his agent, or Notre Dame would come up with as an excuse, .. and it is lame.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Cythim;4973496 said:
I personally believe Te'o. He is a bit of a fool for having been strung along for so long but I can understand how it happened. I also understand why he told the white lies so people didn't realize he never met her. Keep in mind he is Mormon, and they take abstinence very seriously. This is why he wasn't at parties pulling all kinds of tail. I don't want to defend him, I just don't see the reason for him to be in on the scam and understand how he could have been duped for so long.

Because a lawyerd up no camera interview at Friday midnight just screams "I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE"

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Avery;4973483 said:
The recent ESPN article, to me, seems to cement that he's not trusted. They give a small sample size of twitter messages straight from the guy who reportedly did it and they sure seem a bit perplexing.

Even if he wasn't in on it, his credibility is done as he continued to float the narrative. Expect some serious mental evaluations from teams when researching the guy.

According to our own Tom Ciskowski this won't effect his draft stock much.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Rogah;4972790 said:

Rape can have quite the impact on someones state of mental health and well being. We can't assume she was in such a state before she made these allegations or they are the result of the alleged incident. We will never know for sure because it isn't being investigated, but to dismiss the possibility that the allegations may be true because she committed suicide is a bit close minded in my opinion. It proves nothing either way. There is more to the story, but no one is going to write it.

Rogah

Reaction score
17yearsandcounting;4972992 said:
Or it speaks volumes about the level of cover up ND is capable of, and the level of brutality they inflicted on the victim.
Your problem is that your sole piece of evidence - beyond your irrational hatred of all things Notre Dame - is a woman who was mentally deranged enough to actually commit suicide. I hate to paint such a harsh, unflattering view of this woman, but clinically speaking suicide is evidence that she just wasn't playing with a full deck.

Rogah

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4973614 said:
No, displaying ignorance .. is not knowing the many many instances of football players, coaches, or any athlete in general that have gone on and played in a game following a death, or severe illness to a family member or friend.
Except, in this instance, when we talk about his abysmal performance in the national championship game, we're not talking about a player playing a game in the immediate aftermath of a death or severe illness to a family member or friend. We're talking about a guy who knew the national media was about to blow his hoax situation wide open and it would have permanent consequences on his life.
WV Cowboy;4973614 said:
You say twice earlier in the thread that you don't watch the news much, .. perhaps you should before you speak to something that you obviously don't know anything about, .. which actually is the definition of ignorance.
Now now. Don't get all pissy just because I accurately called you out on your ignorance. I gladly admit I don't watch the news much, but I follow sports - especially football - constantly. When I say "I don't watch the news" I mean things like politics, not things like SportsCenter. So that explains why I was unaware Congress repealed the concept of people in this country being innocent until proven guioty beyond a reasonable doubt.
WV Cowboy;4973614 said:
To suggest that Te'O was embarassed in the National Championship game because of the lies that he has perpetuated sounds like something that he, his agent, or Notre Dame would come up with as an excuse, .. and it is lame.
What we had in late December was a guy whose life was falling to pieces and whose hoax, perpretated on the national level, was about to be blown wide open.

Anyone who denies the idea that such a life-altering calamity would affect preparation for the biggest game of the year is demonstrating the height of ignorance and idiocy.

Rogah

Reaction score
17yearsandcounting;4973251 said:
Lieing to the media isnt anywhere near a criminal offense.

If he has to have lawyers with him at an interview, I'd bet that ND is alot more screwed than anyone realized.
I absolutely think he's complicit in this hoax and I don't blame him one bit for having lawyers present at the interview because he needs good advice on how to handle getting caught perpretating this hoax on a nationwise scale.

But I have no idea whatsoever how you're making the connection that "Te'o having lawyers implies ND is a lot more screwed than anyone realized." Please explain.

Rogah

Reaction score
joseephuss;4973687 said:
Rape can have quite the impact on someones state of mental health and well being.
That statement is 100% true. But lots of women get raped without committing suicide.
joseephuss;4973687 said:
We can't assume she was in such a state before she made these allegations or they are the result of the alleged incident. We will never know for sure because it isn't being investigated, but to dismiss the possibility that the allegations may be true because she committed suicide is a bit close minded in my opinion. It proves nothing either way. There is more to the story, but no one is going to write it.
You're absolutely right: Nothing has been proven either way (although you're wrong when you say there has been no investigation). And that's why I'm glad that I live in a country where, in situations where nothing is proven, the assumption of innocence is afforded to the accused (despite what other people in here seem to think, it turns out that the "presumption of innocence" is still the law of the land here in these United States).