Many posters on this site think we may end up

Woods

Reaction score
cutting or trading Glover due to his high cap number this year and because he isn't the best fit in a 3-4 defense.

Let's assume that Glover is NOT on the team this coming season.

I think we HAVE to get a big wide-body NT to rotate with Fergy.

If Fergy were to get banged up again in '06, I don't see how we could successfully run the 3-4 with our current DL personnel.

I'm not sure a late round draft pick is enough insurance either. Unfortunately, Ngata will likely be gone by 18, and I'm not sold on G. Watson's dedication (according to what I've been reading about him).

I think we should go the FA route and pick up a wide body next month. Also, IF we were to cut/trade Glover, I'd imagine we would have some cap savings to contribute to shoring up this position.

Again, I think if we are going to be running the 3-4 even more in 2006 than in 2005, having Fergy as the only legitimate NT is dangerous. One injury to him and it doesn't really matter who your ILBs are . . . .

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So Willie Blade doesn't inspire you with hope?:D

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Well, we spent a lot of time with Johnson on the roster last year, so maybe he's the backup....I know one thing...if we were to use our first pick on a NT, I'd crap. We're paying Ferguson to do the job...he needs to do it...period.

Woods

Reaction score
Alexander said:
So Willie Blade doesn't inspire you with hope?:D

Actually, as scary as it sounds, I've been thinking that just maybe he'll get himself healthy and in shape and . . . . oh, forget it. :)

sago1

Reaction score
Agree. I think Cowboys really like UFA Thomas "Pepper" Johnson (looked OK/pretty good in the 1 game he activated for but then he only in few a little while) so we can't rely on him. Don't know who available in FA or the cost but do like Claude Wroten (off field problems cause him to slip), Kyle Williams or John McCargo in the draft. More I think of number of players we need the less chance we have this year to win the SB; best hope probably is just legit run for it and win everything in 07. We've just got too many holes to fill.

Woods

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Well, we spent a lot of time with Johnson on the roster last year, so maybe he's the backup....I know one thing...if we were to use our first pick on a NT, I'd crap. We're paying Ferguson to do the job...he needs to do it...period.

If we get rid of Glover this season, I really hope we'd replace with with a veteran more suitable to play NT in the 3-4.

I sort of see Pepper as a NT/DE tweener, if there is such a thing.

Woods

Reaction score
sago1 said:
Agree. I think Cowboys really like UFA Thomas "Pepper" Johnson (looked OK/pretty good in the 1 game he activated for but then he only in few a little while) so we can't rely on him. Don't know who available in FA or the cost but do like Claude Wroten (off field problems cause him to slip), Kyle Williams or John McCargo in the draft. More I think of number of players we need the less chance we have this year to win the SB; best hope probably is just legit run for it and win everything in 07. We've just got too many holes to fill.

I was just reading about Wroten, and I think the charges were dropped against him. That said, I don't see BP/Ireland bringing in a guy with drug questions.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Woods said:
If we get rid of Glover this season, I really hope we'd replace with with a veteran more suitable to play NT in the 3-4.

I sort of see Pepper as a NT/DE tweener, if there is such a thing.
Isn't that exactly what Glover was?

big, fat, strong, sit in the hole NT's can be found all over the place...they're the 300+ pound DT's with no discipline to control their weight or no athletic ability to rush the QB...NT won't be a problem and we shouldn't waste a first day pick on one.

You can't afford that high a pick and that kind of money on a backup for the highly paid Ferguson.

Woods

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

big, fat, strong, sit in the hole NT's can be found all over the place...they're the 300+ pound DT's with no discipline to control their weight or no athletic ability to rush the QB...NT won't be a problem and we shouldn't waste a first day pick on one.

You can't afford that high a pick and that kind of money on a backup for the highly paid Ferguson.

I don't want to spend a first day pick either, but rather go the FA route (as indicated in my initial post).

mschmidt64

Reaction score
My guess is that Thomas Johnson is going to be able to do the same thing as Glover did. He might not be big enough for full time but he'll be fine as an NT situationally.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

That's exactly what Wilfork did his rookie year.

Worked out ok.

ddh33

Reaction score
You are looking for a "backup" though. Those are easier to find than starters, and your starter is here. I honestly think that with Pepper and another decent player, you would be covered. It doesn't have to be a star or a first rounder.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Ngata, Watson

You can't have enough young, big 3-4 Rotation guys

Eskimo

Reaction score
Time to call a spade a spade - Fergy is a big disappointment as a 3-4 NT and I'm not surprised in the least. Pat Williams should have been brought in but BP went with the guy he knew instead. We can't undo history.

However, if Ngata begins to slide we would be foolish to let him go by us. He is a stud in a 3-4 and I don't think any of the potential 3-4 LBs are on par with him as a prospect.

A very good NT is a must in a 3-4. You can get by with lesser DEs, but the NT has to be a "man amongst men" and Fergy doesn't fit the bill.

If Ngata slides to #10, I'd trade our second rounder to move up and get him if anyone is willing to be a trade partner.

Watson will be a bust.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Woods said:
I don't want to spend a first day pick either, but rather go the FA route (as indicated in my initial post).

DT Rocky Bernard from Seattle would be great but may be too $$$

ddh33

Reaction score
What in the world has Ferguson done to be labaled a disappointment? He was actually pretty good.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Woods said:
cutting or trading Glover due to his high cap number this year and because he isn't the best fit in a 3-4 defense.

Let's assume that Glover is NOT on the team this coming season.

I think we HAVE to get a big wide-body NT to rotate with Fergy.

If Fergy were to get banged up again in '06, I don't see how we could successfully run the 3-4 with our current DL personnel.

I'm not sure a late round draft pick is enough insurance either. Unfortunately, Ngata will likely be gone by 18, and I'm not sold on G. Watson's dedication (according to what I've been reading about him).

I think we should go the FA route and pick up a wide body next month. Also, IF we were to cut/trade Glover, I'd imagine we would have some cap savings to contribute to shoring up this position.

Again, I think if we are going to be running the 3-4 even more in 2006 than in 2005, having Fergy as the only legitimate NT is dangerous. One injury to him and it doesn't really matter who your ILBs are . . . .

You want a widebody NT?? So do I...

I'd like the Boys to bring in Maake Kemoeatu from the Ravens, he goes about 350 and is a very good run-stuffer... failing that, my favorite in the draft is likely to be a second day pick, Steve Fifita from Utah... he's "only" 325 pounds, but he's a squat widebody, who probably isn't really as tall as the 6-0 he's listed at...

burmafrd

Reaction score
the ideal NT is around 6'0" and 320 or so. Bigger is good if he has some quickness. His job is to tie up the center and hold the middle of the line - making sure there is no push forward in running plays and pushing the center/guard backwards on passing plays. there are a number of those around that are decent- but few that are really good. Fifita interests me because he is less then 6' and is 325.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well if one guy gets cut this offseason out of all the culprits typically mentioned like Singleton, Ellis, Allen, Glover... I think Glover is the most likely to go.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo said:
Time to call a spade a spade - Fergy is a big disappointment as a 3-4 NT
Yeah I'm glad he didn't get hurt. That would have really slowed him down last year. :rolleyes: