Marinelli doesn't like to blitz but we desperately need to get more pressure

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
I think it is safe to say that Marinelli is a top notch defensive line coach. On the flip side though, I think his track record as a defensive coordinator is yet to be determined. Example, Marinelli called the Bears defense for three years finishing in the top ten twice while ranking 17th the other year. We all saw the 2014 season and are currently witnessing the 2015 season that appears to be a total wreck in all aspects. So, what do we know? We know for sure that Marinelli is a top flight line coach. We also know that we have a 5th year defensive coordinator that is 66 years old with an unproven track record as of yet. At the end of the day though I question the ability of a man that has spent the bulk of his years as a position coach being able to transition into a coordinators role in the twilight of his career.

Craig

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The last thing that needs to happen is Marinelli to go outside of his character. That can only lead to more mistakes. We make enough of those just with sloppy angles and poor tackling.

The Natural

Reaction score
I dont know, this team has gotten gutted on blitzes. Im curious as to why we are the only team that cant get sacks with our front 4. You mean to tell me Brandon Graham can get 2 sacks on our o-line but no one besides Hardy on our line can turn up any sacks.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I think it is safe to say that Marinelli is a top notch defensive line coach. On the flip side though, I think his track record as a defensive coordinator is yet to be determined. Example, Marinelli called the Bears defense for three years finishing in the top ten twice while ranking 17th the other year. We all saw the 2014 season and are currently witnessing the 2015 season that appears to be a total wreck in all aspects. So, what do we know? We know for sure that Marinelli is a top flight line coach. We also know that we have a 5th year defensive coordinator that is 66 years old with an unproven track record as of yet. At the end of the day though I question the ability of a man that has spent the bulk of his years as a position coach being able to transition into a coordinators role in the twilight of his career.

Craig

How much responsibility did Marinelli have as a DC under Lovie Smith?

Was like it all the OCs Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy had over the years who essentially had the OC job in name only because the coaches ran the offense?

Lovie Smith is a defensive coach through and though. I'm not sure how much credit (or criticism) Marinelli really deserves for the defense in Chicago.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
its hard to get pressure when the offense knows we will mostlikely send the same 4 guys (dlineman). You can slide and help the weakest link easier.

Aven8

Reaction score
Blitz huh? And watch Winston break the the rookie record for TD bombs to Evans? No thanks!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I would recommend people looking how much time is coming off the clock when the ball is coming out. Pats on has been teams getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds. You don't put on your pass rush move until the second step or later on the edge. You have to deal with the wall in the middle.

Teams stay away from Lee but the rest of the middle of the field is a shooting gallery of open receivers. Claiborne, Jones, White and to a lesser extent Carr make plays when thrown on. The rest never seem to. McClain. Hitchens, Wilson, Church, Wilcox, and Patmon have stunk up the joint.

Pass rush isn't what worries me on the DL. It's the middle of the defense again where it's soft. Teams like the Giants and Saints have feasted on that middle run to convert first downs and sustain drives. Pretty much everyone has gotten some mileage. The runs outside have been more an issue of LB fills and DBs physicality than anything else. Claiborne sticks his nose in there but you can tell he didn't play football for years.

Nick Hayden continues to be dominated at the poa although when rotated he has played better and ground out some standstills. Hardy leaves and DE depth is a concern. Irving is a revelation but we need a DT depth.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
OTHER TEAMS do a delayed blitz where a guy will come free thru a gap, but we never do that , how come??

CooterBrown

Reaction score
This is a simple explanation of the problem.
Question: what is the best way to slow down a pass rush?
Answer: run the ball effectively.
Question 2: what is the best way to keep a team from running the ball effectively?
Answer: make them play hurry-up catch-up.
Question 3: how do you make a team play hurry- up catch- up?
Answer: by controlling the clock and playing with a lead.

Conclusions: it is a team game. If the offense does not get a lead, the defense, afraid of giving up the big play, has to respect the run and that slows the pass rush which negatively impacts turnover ratios. That makes the team offense one- dimensional and the opponent is in the best position to win.

That is the Cowboys season in a nutshell.