Marinelli/Eberflus Defense too predictable

Majic

Reaction score
Michael Lombardi on his podcast has been making the point all season that the Rod Marinelli DEF is not good enough in the NFL anymore. He makes the point that Matt Eberflus DEF is way to predictable (based on Marinelli's) and has been saying this all season and it has been found out. He credits Sean McVay in replacing Wade Phillips with a hybrid DEF that is good at 3 phases and not predictable (33% Zone 33% man, 33% Zone dogs).

Don't be great at just one thing, it will be found out.

Describes Eberflus as a 'one pitch fast ball scheme'

We need a hybrid scheme in Dallas that is further developed in the off season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Michael Lombardi on his podcast has been making the point all season that the Rod Marinelli DEF is not good enough in the NFL anymore. He makes the point that Matt Eberflus DEF is way to predictable (based on Marinelli's) and has been saying this all season and it has been found out. He credits Sean McVay in replacing Wade Phillips with a hybrid DEF that is good at 3 phases and not predictable (33% Zone 33% man, 33% Zone dogs).

Mike Nolan is trying to do that.

The problem is there is something incredibly wrong with our run fits.

Someone who still dives into All 22 may be able to tell you.. When the Cowboys games end you’d have to pay me to get me to watch them again.

So someone in the know could probably tell you better as to why Mike Nolan’s defense is terrible but just a quick analysis by me it looks like their run fits are horrible.

There is always huge gaps to run through for defenses and not only are there gaps you got a linebacker in Jaylon that may run himself out of the play.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael Lombardi on his podcast has been making the point all season that the Rod Marinelli DEF is not good enough in the NFL anymore.
We have all know this for a long time. It appears Nolan has joined the same "DEF is not good enough in the NFL anymore" club as Marinelli now despite the defense playing better recently. I hope this success doesn't mean Nolan will be back next year as the Cowboys DC.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Mike Nolan is trying to do that.

The problem is there is something incredibly wrong with our run fits.

Someone who still dives into All 22 may be able to tell you.. When the Cowboys games end you’d have to pay me to get me to watch them again.

So someone in the know could probably tell you better as to why Mike Nolan’s defense is terrible but just a quick analysis by me it looks like their run fits are horrible.

There is always huge gaps to run through for defenses and not only are there gaps you got a linebacker in Jaylon that may run himself out of the play.
Terrible DT play. I was 100% fire mike Nolan a few weeks back, but I’m keeping the door open now. He’s adapted pretty well given the holes on defense.

Even the LBs on this team are serviceable( yes I used that word carefully because I am not trying to advocate for our LB play this year), but poor DT play for a LB is the equivalent to bad O line play for a QB.

And really there just is not a ton you can do when an oline can get multiple people to the 2nd level. Watching the philly game back I can’t tell you how many times our DTs just get moved around like nothing and our DEs leave their responsibilities to jump on fakes.

I’m glad gallimore is getting reps, I think he is the real deal, but still struggles heavily at recognizing blocks. Hopefully we can see a more consistent player in 2021. I just can’t stress how much a true 1T would do for this team.

Batman1980

Reaction score
We've had issues on defense since at least 2004 and haven't had a truly dominant defense since 1993. Not positive what the issue is but that's where we're at. Was hoping Ryan would fix our defense but it was the opposite.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
We have all know this for a long time. It appears Nolan has joined the same "DEF is not good enough in the NFL anymore" club as Marinelli now despite the defense playing better recently. I hope this success doesn't mean Nolan will be back next year as the Cowboys DC.

disagree with the highlighted part. The knock on Nolan all year is that his defense is over complicated. I’m not sure exactly what to make of Nolan’s defense and future in Dallas, but you can’t play both sides of the fence.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I just don’t know what to do about Defense going forward.

Everyone complains about defense.. Of course ours is next level bad but nobody in the NFL plays amazing defense.

Every defense is just holding on for dear life.

So I think this thought we can just build a great defense through the draft is wishful thinking.

We need a defense that does 3 things..

1. Keeps point totals low (who cares where they rank in total defense)

2. Don’t give up big plays

3. Force some turnovers

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Couldn't agree more. The Cowboys have to adopt this type of modern scheme. Yes, there will be growing pains and a lot of personnel turnover, but if they want to truly build a championship level defense, this is their path for success.

Sydla

Reaction score
Mistake keeping Nolan. Just because Nolan wants a "hybrid D" doesn't mean he's a good DC.

fivetwos

Reaction score

What happened this year is simple.....Nolans scheme and the personnel on this team are not compatible.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. The Cowboys have to adopt this type of modern scheme. Yes, there will be growing pains and a lot of personnel turnover, but if they want to truly build a championship level defense, this is their path for success.
Agreed, my question is if Nolan is the guy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Terrible DT play. I was 100% fire mike Nolan a few weeks back, but I’m keeping the door open now. He’s adapted pretty well given the holes on defense.

Even the LBs on this team are serviceable( yes I used that word carefully because I am not trying to advocate for our LB play this year), but poor DT play for a LB is the equivalent to bad O line play for a QB.

And really there just is not a ton you can do when an oline can get multiple people to the 2nd level. Watching the philly game back I can’t tell you how many times our DTs just get moved around like nothing and our DEs leave their responsibilities to jump on fakes.

I’m glad gallimore is getting reps, I think he is the real deal, but still struggles heavily at recognizing blocks. Hopefully we can see a more consistent player in 2021. I just can’t stress how much a true 1T would do for this team.

I was for Mike Nolan.. I’ve always been a fan of his.

Now I feel like you have to move on..

We’ve played 3 backup QBs and that has more to do with our success than anything.

You’d be risking another season by keeping him.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
An unpredictable scheme is great when you have players who understand what they are supposed to do.

I cannot even predict what Jaylon Smith will do in a ‘predictable’ defensive scheme let alone a more sophisticated defense. Same with some on the DL and DBs. Some of these DBs don’t seem to know if it is man or zone.

Nolan could make the argument that his defensive calls are predictable. The actual players freelancing and not knowing their responsibilities make it unpredictable for even himself, opposing OCs, and QBs to figure it out.

Eagles’ DC Schwartz is about as predictable as they come. Man coverage and out-execute your opponent. Dalton knew what was coming and most importantly Cooper, Gallop, and Lamb out-executed the DBs.

Sydla

Reaction score

Has Mike Nolan ever built a championship D? For example, Marvin Lewis built the Ravens D that Nolan inherited.

Majic

Reaction score
Mistake keeping Nolan. Just because Nolan wants a "hybrid D" doesn't mean he's a good DC.
Whether it's a mistake or not, the point is you need a multiple DEF else you will be found out at some point, maybe in the regular season, maybe in the play-offs, but a good team will find you out, you need to adapt, you need to be different

John813

Reaction score

Didn't help when the F.O. missed on McCoy and Poe to shore up the 3T and 1T.
Gallimore has flashed but like you said is still raw in other ways and can get out of position.
Add in linebackers that aren't anything special and you get the 2020 Dallas defense.

Majic

Reaction score
Didn't help when the F.O. missed on McCoy and Poe to shore up the 3T and 1T.
Gallimore has flashed but like you said is still raw in other ways and can get out of position.
Add in linebackers that aren't anything special and you get the 2020 Dallas defense.

That's not on Nolan, he's been given very little to work with