Marinelli/Eberflus Defense too predictable

Sydla

Reaction score
He's been proven right on Pederson, he relied heavily on Frank Reich and has not been the same since he left. I wouldn't use the word fraud though-much too harsh.

I agree the Colts DEF is good but it's not great and that is the point he is making that it will hold them back in their pursuit of a Superbowl. Diving into the numbers after Week1 when the Jags put 27 on them they settled down and only conceded 29 points in the next 3 to the Vikings, Jets and Bears.

The next 4 games saw the Browns, Bengals, Lions and Ravens put up 104 points an average of 26 points per game, not great but also not terrible. After they held the Titans to 17 in Week 10, they have conceded 171 points to the Packers, Titans, Texans twice, Raiders and Steelers at an average of 28.5 points per game.

The point he was making was something has to change on DEF if they are going to be a great team.

Has he been proven right on Pederson? He said he was the most unqualified coach he has ever seen in his NFL life. That's clearly an incorrect statement. And as noted elsewhere, Lombardi is a failed NFL exec who has carved out a good TV gig. He's far from infallible.

And at the end of the day, whether you need to be a hybrid defense or not to succeed, doesn't mean anything when it comes to Nolan. Just because he runs a hybrid defense doesn't mean he's any good at actually running a defense. The lengths you have gone to defend this guy though, are impressive. Weird, but impressive.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Crystal clear to who? I never asked about what or who Eberflus was. So no, that's entirely on you. I didn't ask so where are you going with this and to what end?
My initial point that Eberflus has run different defensive schemes was clear. That's all I was saying

Majic

Reaction score
Has he been proven right on Pederson? He said he was the most unqualified coach he has ever seen in his NFL life. That's clearly an incorrect statement. And as noted elsewhere, Lombardi is a failed NFL exec who has carved out a good TV gig. He's far from infallible.

And at the end of the day, whether you need to be a hybrid defense or not to succeed, doesn't mean anything when it comes to Nolan. Just because he runs a hybrid defense doesn't mean he's any good at actually running a defense. The lengths you have gone to defend this guy though, are impressive. Weird, but impressive.

I'm chuckling at your last sentence. After the Ravens game probably 99% of fans wanted him out. Now it's probably 65%. To me it's not clear cut and I like to see someone given a fair crack of the whip after what we endured with Garrett and Marinelli and the time given them

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My initial point that Eberflus has run different defensive schemes was clear. That's all I was saying

OK. That's all I was asking. I didn't understand where you were going. I mean, I've pretty much said the same thing in this thread. He's not a Marinelli Guy and he's not a Ryan guy. He has his own scheme. I don't agree with Lombardi and the link he is trying to make with Marinelli and Eberflus.

JMO

Carson

Reaction score
The DT play has been beyond terrible this year. Gotta get at least some average NFL talent or it all isn't going to work.

Real talk, it’s been a terrible position for us for a whole outside of Ratliff, Bowen, Hatcher and maybe 1-2 other guys I’m missing

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
OK. That's all I was asking. I didn't understand where you were going. I mean, I've pretty much said the same thing in this thread. He's not a Marinelli Guy and he's not a Ryan guy. He has his own scheme. I don't agree with Lombardi and the link he is trying to make with Marinelli and Eberflus.

JMO
My comment was actually intended to information to your post, stating that he coached a cover 2 in college. Erroneously listing KSU instead of Mizzou

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My comment was actually intended to information to your post, stating that he coached a cover 2 in college. Erroneously listing KSU instead of Mizzou

Ok, I understand. I just didn't get it at the moment you posted it. I'm sure that it was my fault. Sorry Darth.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm chuckling at your last sentence. After the Ravens game probably 99% of fans wanted him out. Now it's probably 65%. To me it's not clear cut and I like to see someone given a fair crack of the whip after what we endured with Garrett and Marinelli and the time given them

Enduring Garrett and Marinelli for as long as we did should make people like yourself want to pull plugs quickly on guys that aren't cutting it.

Nolan ain't cutting it. But I guess it will take you another season or two to realize that.

Majic

Reaction score
Enduring Garrett and Marinelli for as long as we did should make people like yourself want to pull plugs quickly on guys that aren't cutting it.

Nolan ain't cutting it. But I guess it will take you another season or two to realize that.

I think he will be fired at the end of this season

Ring Leader

Reaction score
An unpredictable scheme is great when you have players who understand what they are supposed to do.

I cannot even predict what Jaylon Smith will do in a ‘predictable’ defensive scheme let alone a more sophisticated defense. Same with some on the DL and DBs. Some of these DBs don’t seem to know if it is man or zone.

Nolan could make the argument that his defensive calls are predictable. The actual players freelancing and not knowing their responsibilities make it unpredictable for even himself, opposing OCs, and QBs to figure it out.

Eagles’ DC Schwartz is about as predictable as they come. Man coverage and out-execute your opponent. Dalton knew what was coming and most importantly Cooper, Gallop, and Lamb out-executed the DBs.

Love the bolded part.