Marinelli May deserve an apology from some here

Haimerej

Reaction score
And it's why lesser quarterbacks like Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Mitch Trubisky could light up this defense. Because it was predictable and they knew what was coming.

Some of the best defenses in the league over the years were, "predictable." SEA hasn't been fooling anyone, for example. If schemes are properly executed then they tend to work.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And this is what I was referring to when someone told me Cowboys are an organization everyone wants to coach for. If true, I find it hard to believe. Their hiring process is the worst if they have their choice of any coach they want. I'm not sure if its a matter of Jerry wanting scapegoats around or what.
Kiffin made him feel not so old. Dont discount that.

Garrett knew what he was doing and milked it for ten years worth of HC pay.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players, culture, and Richard. Defense steadily improved each year until Richard showed up.

That depends on the measurement.

In terms of points allowed, the results fluctuated, and actually improved in Richard's first year here.

And I know it wasn't Richard's charges that gave up 273 yards to the Rams rushing attack.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Some of the best defenses in the league over the years were, "predictable." SEA hasn't been fooling anyone, for example. If schemes are properly executed then they tend to work.
Pure garbage, but ok.

In ten full seasons, tell me one time you came away from watching a Dallas game feeling like they outcoached the opposition.

Then count the times when you felt like the other team exploited our weakness yet we refused to make adjustments thereof.

You cant rely on execution alone in today's NFL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nothing lasts forever. And like his mentor Monte Kiffen, Marinelli's old schemes were figured out.

Supported by the fact that Sam Darnold goes from "the Cowboys do what they do" in a victory one week to "seeing ghosts out there" the next week in a 33-0 loss against the Patriots.

Can't deny the facts.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That depends on the measurement.

In terms of points allowed, the results fluctuated, and actually improved in Richard's first year here.

And I know it wasn't Richard's charges that gave up 273 yards to the Rams rushing attack.
The real problem was when they were killing us up the gut, we had no capability to adjust.

Same with the Green game in Atl.

Its just... line up and do what we do. The other team found something simple to exploit.

Not adjusting at all for the purpose of "keeping it simple" is insanely ridiculous.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pure garbage, but ok.

In ten full seasons, tell me one time you came away from watching a Dallas game feeling like they outcoached the opposition.

Then count the times when you felt like the other team exploited our weakness yet we refused to make adjustments thereof.

It's amazing to me how the Cowboys players first have to overcome subpar coaching and then have to take the blame for it as 'execution' when things don't work.

Talk about a double whammy.

But it's reassuring to see that the rest of the NFL doesn't subscribe to that nonsense, supported by the fact that everyone who left here did so for a demotion position elsewhere.

Our wanna-be 'head coach' is busted down to coordinator level.

Our 'in name only' defensive coordinator is now busted back down to defensive line coach.

And Linehan couldn't even get another job in the league and is now a 'half-coordinator' at the college level.

That speaks volumes.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Pure garbage, but ok.

You're wrong. Carry on.

All the games they won.

All the losses.

Ok

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The real problem was when they were killing us up the gut, we had no capability to adjust.

Hard to have answers when your coaches don;t realize what's happening out there. Marinelli didn't realize that he was telegraphing things based on pre-snap alignments until it was too late and the game was over.

Same with the Green game in Atl.

That was utter incompetence, and grounds for firing right there - either Linehan, Garrett, or preferably both. But who ultimately took the fall? The offensive line coach.

Its just... line up and do what we do. The other team found something simple to exploit.

Not adjusting at all for the purpose of "keeping it simple" is insanely ridiculous.

I'm just glad it's over with. Let those clowns ruin someone else's team for a change.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Nothing lasts forever. And like his mentor Monte Kiffen, Marinelli's old schemes were figured out.

Supported by the fact that Sam Darnold goes from "the Cowboys do what they do" in a victory one week to "seeing ghosts out there" the next week in a 33-0 loss against the Patriots.

Can't deny the facts.

If you think teams don't figure out their opponents schemes, then you're not paying attention.

But you've also caricatured Marinelli. Remember Hardy's game against NE? Can't recall if it was his first with DAL, but after that game Belichick praised Marinelli for giving them trouble with the 3 man front. It was something they hadn't seen before on tape.

But none of this really matters. Dude is gone. People have opinions about him. Life goes on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think teams don't figure out their opponents schemes, then you're not paying attention.

And if you think they're all to the same degree, you're not paying attention. Or more accurately, you're practicing willful ignorance. You can decide which.

But you've also caricatured Marinelli. Remember Hardy's game against NE? Can't recall if it was his first with DAL, but after that game Belichick praised Marinelli for giving them trouble with the 3 man front. It was something they hadn't seen before on tape.

5 years ago? You're reaching for one game from 5 years ago which featured a player who - despite the foo-field stuff - was one of the game's top pass rushers? Quite a reach all around.

But none of this really matters. Dude is gone. People have opinions about him. Life goes on.

Yes, thankfully it does.

The anchors weighing down this team have finally been thrown overboard.

tenor.gif

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's amazing to me how the Cowboys players first have to overcome subpar coaching and then have to take the blame for it as 'execution' when things don't work.

Talk about a double whammy.

But it's reassuring to see that the rest of the NFL doesn't subscribe to that nonsense, supported by the fact that everyone who left here did so for a demotion position elsewhere.

Our wanna-be 'head coach' is busted down to coordinator level.

Our 'in name only' defensive coordinator is now busted back down to defensive line coach.

And Linehan couldn't even get another job in the league and is now a 'half-coordinator' at the college level.

That speaks volumes.
I think Garrett is extremely limited in his knowledge of the game and ability to be any kind of an adapter/innovator.

If he is any type of "genius," it's in the regard that he was able to sell people (namely Jerry) that he was exactly that.....while of course telling his boss he could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted as far as addressing the team, discussing personnel, injuries, gameplan, whathaveyou...

Jerry's dream. He even convinced him that he had to learn on the job. Years of that.

Then after a few years when he really should have been canned, Jerry said we would have wasted all those years of him learning if they did that.

One guy selling garbage to another, then Jerry selling garbage to us.

No choice but to put up with it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Garrett is extremely limited in his knowledge of the game and ability to be any kind of an adapter/innovator.

Over a decade of evidence of that.

If he is any type of "genius," it's in the regard that he was able to sell people (namely Jerry) that he was exactly that.....while of course telling his boss he could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted as far as addressing the team, discussing personnel, injuries, gameplan, whathaveyou...

The gift of gab. An excellent salesman. He knew all the words to say, but none of the things to do.

Jerry's dream. He even convinced him that he had to learn on the job. Years of that.

Then after a few years when he really should have been canned, Jerry said we would have wasted all those years of him learning if they did that.

One guy selling garbage to another, then Jerry selling garbage to us.

No choice but to put up with it.

Jerry had a vision in his head, where he would eventually be 'right' and have his 'coach for life', and he stubbornly stuck with it and made any and every excuse he could for it, right until the end. Even after the 2019 debacle, Jerry still tried to find a way to keep Garrett around. No matter how it works out on the field, we should be forever grateful for Mike McCarthy for one thing, if nothing else. His interest in the job ended the Garrett era.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You're wrong. Carry on.

All the games they won.

All the losses.

Ok
Things arent quite that simple but thanks for proving my point.

If you're telling me that they were outcoached in all the losses, there were plenty of them....especially when it mattered most and/or the competition got stronger.

How anyone makes a case for the last bunch of moron coaches that were in here is beyond what I can guess.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Over a decade of evidence of that.

The gift of gab. An excellent salesman. He knew all the words to say, but none of the things to do.

Jerry had a vision in his head, where he would eventually be 'right' and have his 'coach for life', and he stubbornly stuck with it and made any and every excuse he could for it, right until the end. Even after the 2019 debacle, Jerry still tried to find a way to keep Garrett around. No matter how it works out on the field, we should be forever grateful for Mike McCarthy for one thing, if nothing else. His interest in the job ended the Garrett era.
Hence the tears in NE, when he finally realized this was over.

Even leaked that he would keep him if they made the playoffs.

Was almost as if the team subconsciously quit at that point.

Damn glad they did.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hence the tears in NE, when he finally realized this was over.

Even leaked that he would keep him if they made the playoffs.

Was almost as if the team subconsciously quit at that point.

Damn glad they did.

The players - among other people - forced Jerry's hand.

I'm also glad that they did.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just like some coordinators do not make good HC's, some position coaches do not make good coordinators.

The latest Dallas DC wasn't s coordinator in his last two stops.