Markquese Bell

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I was kind of excited about signing Tyler Coyle last year. At 6-1, 209, he ran a 4.36 40. He's still on the team, but wasn't that impressive last preseason. I think Bell has better tape, though.

Coyle has all the measurables needed, although, his profile indicated that he was lacking in aggression in college. Evidently, the Cowboys' staff kept him around in hopes that he'd change his timid ways and blossom. I'm sure we'll see how Bell does, in hopes he's able to outdo Coyle and impress the coaching staff enough to replace him. Obviously, there'll be plenty of competition this year in TC.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Coyle has all the measurables needed, although, his profile indicated that he was lacking in aggression in college. Evidently, the Cowboys' staff kept him around in hopes that he'd change his timid ways and blossom. I'm sure we'll see how Bell does, in hopes he's able to outdo Coyle and impress the coaching staff enough to replace him. Obviously, there'll be plenty of competition this year in TC.

We'll definitely get to see if Coyle has improved. I think the only three locks we have at safety are Kearse, Hooker and Wilson. Mukuamu will be given every chance to retain his spot, but the competition for it or maybe a fifth safety spot will be interesting with Coyle, Bell, Thomas and Van Zandt and maybe Quandre Mosely, if we see him as a safety.

Mosely is 6-2, 185 and ran a 4.32 40 at his pro day. Out of this group, he'd probably most be considered a free safety if we don't see him as a corner. He has played both.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stash him for next year. He's not beating out any of the guys. Everybody else already has a head start with the playbook. Mukuamu is making the team without question.

He'd have to clearly beat out Izzy to make it. Izzy already balled out last preseason which is why he even made the team
I dont think he would have to beat Mukuamu out. Roster wise we lost Kazee and didn't replace him. So if we dont go shorter at S he has a path to the roster. I could see him having a role similar to guys like Keith Davis and Frazier, where he is basically a ST player that gives some depth at SS

I think his roster spot will come down to whether he is any good, as opposed to competing with Mukuamu. If Bell has a good camp and preseason, I think both will be on the roster

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I dont think he would have to beat Mukuamu out. Roster wise we lost Kazee and didn't replace him. So if we dont go shorter at S he has a path to the roster. I could see him having a role similar to guys like Keith Davis and Frazier, where he is basically a ST player that gives some depth at SS

I think his roster spot will come down to whether he is any good, as opposed to competing with Mukuamu. If Bell has a good camp and preseason, I think both will be on the roster
I hear you. I'm just big on Mukuamu more than most. I think he'll be a baller very soon. But I hope bell makes it and Thomas is redshirted

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hear you. I'm just big on Mukuamu more than most. I think he'll be a baller very soon. But I hope bell makes it and Thomas is redshirted
We dont seem to play 4 CB in dime, so there could be real snaps for Mukuamu on Dime packages where we rush Parsons. I could see Kearse at LB as a rover with Mukuamu covering LB's

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
He’s likely to be a PS player
Tough competition and obviously he needs to develop or he wouldn’t have been there
His first objective is to look good enough to be on the PS
His odds of making the 53 is mighty slim
Hopefully next year he has grown into a guy who can compete for the 53
He does have some of the physical traits that Quinn loves

if he proves to be good enough for a PS spot , then he is only an injury away to get playing time , not that I wish injury on any team player let alone our boys , but just stating the obvious.

conner01

Reaction score
if he proves to be good enough for a PS spot , then he is only an injury away to get playing time , not that I wish injury on any team player let alone our boys , but just stating the obvious.
That is true
I think he’s a guy they will give every opportunity to make the PS
Some players in camp have no shot
They are just camp fodder

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Depends on how many defensive backs we keep.

We've got Kearse, Hooker and Wilson as safety locks. Diggs, Joseph, Brown, Lewis, Wright and probably Goodwin as corner locks. That's nine. Throw in Mukuamu and Bland and we're at 11. Bell would likely at least have to beat out one of those. I'd say Goodwin is the obvious choice, but he's managed to stick around for special teams for years now.