Marshawn Kneeland performance

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He looked good. Strong guy. Not sure why they are unable to draft a good DT, they should admit Mazi is a jag and trade for a good DT. Osa is OK, not a difference maker.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This pick is probably now the most critical one that needs to succeed given DE depth might be weakest of all positions, and made worse with Tank’s age and Micah’s undersized fatigue.

starfan1

Reaction score
Kneeland is the real deal. He will go from a "WHO?" on draft day to a fan favorite by the end of the year.

With Williams getting hurt he will step right in and pick up snaps on opening day.
BDC I hope your right. I liked this pick because i feel Williams was a headcase anyway, Not glad hes hurt but nothing would please me more than Kneeland balling out

gtb1943

Reaction score
so basically another DE some people will love because he is good against the run and nothing else?
Oh well

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I think he played well but I wish our DEs would stop being sucked in every time the QB fakes the inside run then runs right around the containment,it happens all the time.
That's on the coaches....and so far.....haven't been impressed with their work. Bringing back Zimmer was a mistake.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I like what I saw from him.

Just like a lot of rookies, he has more work to do.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing. He is not as quick as Lawrence but maybe he develops into a Lawrence type player.
over drafted if he does not develop more of a pass rush
DE's are pass rush first and run D second
DT's are the opposite.
Both should be proficient in both but sadly that is rare.
we need another serious pass rush threat to take the pressure off of Micah
or you will see the same thing as we did with DeWare. No one else to take part of the load and in the end they could contain him.
all top D's have at least two serious pass rushers. Until we have that, we are never going to have a championship D
and of course there is the weakness against the run as well

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
The crazy thing is that he is already probably our 3rd best edge player - 2nd if you count Micah as an LB. I wonder if we start him across from Tank with Parsons starting as LB and attacking from anywhere?

It's also crazy how much better the rookies look than our 2nd year players. What the heck happened during the '22 draft??

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kneeland was pretty clearly drafted to be the DLaw replacement in a year or two.
He is a strong side type who can stop the run and still get after the passer.
Sam Williams being out all year will hasten his workload and hopefully progress.

MZ is going to do more to generate pressure in specific spots as oppose dot DQ's pin the ears back every play style.
Historically, that has meant DQ teams generate more pressure overall but less versus topline competition.
Kneeland fits that MZ profile as a guy who will bull rush and set edges all day then hit a DL game to go free and get a sack on a key 3rd and 7.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm getting Tyrone Crawford vibes from Kneeland.
Good comp. Kneeland is slightly smaller and more athletic but stylistically they could be brothers.

Crawford was an inch taller and 8 pounds heavier, but Kneeland is definitely quicker in 10-yard splits and 20-yard shuttles as well as has a better vert jump.
TC ended up a nickel DT pass rusher. I don't know if Kneeland goes that direction or simply adds more edge pass rush to his game.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm getting Tyrone Crawford vibes from Kneeland.
This is more spot on than my young Demarcus Lawrence comp. Even early on DLaw showed more athleticism than it looks like Kneeland has.

Tyrone Crawford was a good player here for quite a few years, especially against the run. He also managed to chip in around 5 sacks every year. If that is what he turns into I think we would all be reasonably happy about it.

I think Kneeland has a little bit higher athletic ceiling than Crawford and may be able to provide a little more juice in the pass rush department eventually, but I think what he brings to the table already.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My God, I hope Kneeland is better than Tyron Crawford.

And I think he will be.
I hope so too, but it's not like Tyrone Crawford was a bum.

Most draft picks don't turn into pro bowlers, but its important that those from the first few rounds can contribute in a meaningful way.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Seems that he will be fine in run support. As far as terrorizing the qb I am far less sure about that.
Why have you actually seen him play in a game with game scheming game planning zone stunting twisting where Mike Zimmer is actually trying to create pressure? you know actually have to see the guy playing some real games because when that happens, it's not like preseason, it's all vanilla most of them are not using a bunch of pass rush moves they're simply bull rushing etcetera etcetera it was his first freaking preseason game,

we're already saying I'm not sure about this guy you know who that was said about as well that would be tank, I don't know how many times they said he wasn't worth his contract he's doesn't get enough sacks, the man is one of the better three down defensive ends in the league, just because he doesn't stack up sacks doesn't mean he's not putting pressure on the quarterback, because I see him knocking down balls nearly getting there making the quarterback uncomfortable and moving off his spot helps other people get sacks or at least a bad throw happens and you get what oh the interceptions on the back end...

Oh, and lastly I'm not saying this guy's going to be a superstar ,but there are at least six offensive holds four of them on the final drive by that offensive line against the Rams that were keeping our guys from getting to the quarterback , if you didn't see it you weren't watching, they were in the backfield pretty fast and then like we see with Parsons all year long they were held and some of the holds were like Hall of Fame holds especially on that last touchdown drive I think it might have been the new guy Tony literally two guys basically put him in a sandwich and held them that's how the touchdown happened, so we can't be judging anything off of one game good or bad....

Reactions: CWR