Twitter: Martin on whether he's playing T this week: "no, I'm playing guard"

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree the Falcons and Rams aren't juggernauts, but they are definitely better than Washington and Cincy. My only point is I can't see any way to definitively say one team is better, especially just 3 games into the season. Right now there are plusses and minuses with both, and time will tell how that shakes out, but 3 games into the season the record is not a good way to judge.

If records are important, the Browns have played teams with a combined record of 3-5-1, with only one of the teams having a winning record, while the Cowboys have played teams with a combined record of 5-4, with 2 of the 3 teams having a winning record.
I can't say the Falcons are better than anyone when they are winless. Rams for sure. Rams I believe are a nice solid team. But they also have the same record as the Browns.

And records doesn't matter to me. If a team goes 9-7 playing good teams and a team goes 14-2 playing dogs....are you going to say the 9-7 team was better?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why bother. Truth don't matter to these folks.

That last play was the only negative I saw from Martin. He was out of position which likely suggests a communication breakdown between him and Looney on the stunt.
Yes, playing OL is all about reps and especially reps together.

All 5 of the Rams starters played all games the season they made it to the Super Bowl. By the time the Cowboys played them in the playoff game they were a fine tuned unit.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't say the Falcons are better than anyone when they are winless. Rams for sure. Rams I believe are a nice solid team. But they also have the same record as the Browns.

And records doesn't matter to me. If a team goes 9-7 playing good teams and a team goes 14-2 playing dogs....are you going to say the 9-7 team was better?
You say records don't matter to you, yet you have used records as a justification for saying Cleveland is better, and you are using records in the analogy you asked me to comment on.

As for whether the 9-7 is better than the 14-2 in your scenario ...

First I would say that over 16 games things level out some, and their shouldn't be as wide a range in the skill levels of the opponents each has faced. Over a mere 3 games that isn't the case.

But, in theory, if the 9-7 team played nothing but teams at the level of the Chiefs, Ravens, Packers, etc …, and the 14-2 team played nothing but teams like the Giants, Commanders, Broncos etc ... then the 9-7 team could be a better team that just played a much tougher schedule.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You say records don't matter to you, yet you have used records as a justification for saying Cleveland is better, and you are using records in the analogy you asked me to comment on.

As for whether the 9-7 is better than the 14-2 in your scenario ...

First I would say that over 16 games things level out some, and their shouldn't be as wide a range in the skill levels of the opponents each has faced. Over a mere 3 games that isn't the case.

But, in theory, if the 9-7 team played nothing but teams at the level of the Chiefs, Ravens, Packers, etc …, and the 14-2 team played nothing but teams like the Giants, Commanders, Broncos etc ... then the 9-7 team could be a better team that just played a much tougher schedule.
I'm saying the records of opponents don't matter to me is what I meant. I'm not going to knock a 14 win team because they beat dogs. As hard as it is to win in the NFL you got 14 of them dogs or not. I don't even trust the Cowboys to get 14 wins facing all dogs. Its like when the Cowboys go undefeated in the NFC East and people say the opponents suck. While true, its still hard to win this league consistently regardless of how bad the opponent is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wish we'd give Connor some reps at right tackle. For all we know, he's good at it. It got him drafted anyways.

If you cant block, you cant block. I cant see it making that much difference.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Badass should start immediately. When he stoned the DT sunday bending his head backwards and he waved to the ref with his free hand saying "hey look at this." I was sold. The first thing that came to mind was this guy is badass.

Sounds like a Frederick kind of move.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I'm speaking strictly on personnel and I'd rather have Austin Hooper over Dalton Schultz.
Defensively they got destroyed by the Ravens. No doubt.
QB I'd give Cowboys the edge.

You are what your record says you are and I wouldn't really consider the Rams or Falcons to be juggernauts. When you are constantly down by 16-20 points I can't sit here and talk about they are better than a 2-1 team.

Meh... Rams are almost there tbh. They practically came back against the Bills, who are another great. Def not a team to just scoff at. Not saying Dallas has any excuses nor is better than the Browns (because IMO, we're not) but Rams are pretty freaking good. The Falcons though.... yeah they're not a juggernaut.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Steel had food-poisoning.
He actually hadn't been too bad before Seattle, relatively speaking.

Martin will re-assume his natural position...and dominate.

fansince68

Reaction score
They need to permanently move Williams out of the starting lineup. Need to officially begin the Biadasz at center future today and put either Looney or McGovern at guard.
Who is McGovern? oh that guy!! the 3rd round pick from seasons ago. Whats confusing is, another team has a Connor McGovern I think its the Broncos.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Meh... Rams are almost there tbh. They practically came back against the Bills, who are another great. Def not a team to just scoff at. Not saying Dallas has any excuses nor is better than the Browns (because IMO, we're not) but Rams are pretty freaking good. The Falcons though.... yeah they're not a juggernaut.
I’m not saying the Rams aren’t good but that is a team the Cowboys should’ve beat.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm saying the records of opponents don't matter to me is what I meant. I'm not going to knock a 14 win team because they beat dogs. As hard as it is to win in the NFL you got 14 of them dogs or not. I don't even trust the Cowboys to get 14 wins facing all dogs. Its like when the Cowboys go undefeated in the NFC East and people say the opponents suck. While true, its still hard to win this league consistently regardless of how bad the opponent is.
You don't have to knock the 14 win team, and I wasn't suggesting you should. And I agree it's not easy to win in the NFL even with an easier schedule.

But that's a different point than determining who is the better team, and if one team has a few more wins than another, strength of schedule can matter in that evaluation. In your scenario of a 14 win team vs a 9 win team, I would say it's almost certain the 14 team win is better, regardless of a difference in strength of schedule. If talking about a 14 win team vs a 12 win team, strength of schedule would absolutely be a factor to consider.

Right now we are just talking about a 2-1 team vs a 1-2 team, so not only is the difference in record very small, the sample size is too. Accordingly I don't think record alone is a fair judge, especially with a different strength of schedule.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you cant block, you cant block. I cant see it making that much difference.

Connor was a tackle in college, now he's being put at guard. Guards need to be more powerful to block DTs, who are bigger but slower. Tackles need good footwork, as they have to block smaller, but quicker, DEs.

How many times do we see a draft evaluation on a college player who has played at one position but projects at another one, in the NFL? Often.

There is a difference...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it, but it's two completely different positions.
Connor was a tackle in college, now he's being put at guard. Guards need to be more powerful to block DTs, who are bigger but slower. Tackles need good footwork, as they have to block smaller, but quicker, DEs.

How many times do we see a draft evaluation on a college player who has played at one position but projects at another one, in the NFL? Often.

There is a difference...

It's all football...just play Dontari Poe at CB and move Diggs to RT...

If the coaches did that fans would still hate those players for not playing well.

"Fans" need somebody to hate. Back in the day there were "fans" that wanted to bench/trade Aikman and make Steve Walsh the starter.

There were millions of Cowboys "fans" in 1996 that hated Jerry despite the team having just won 3 Super Bowls the previous 4 seasons.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
It's all football...just play Dontari Poe at CB and move Diggs to RT...

If the coaches did that fans would still hate those players for not playing well.

"Fans" need somebody to hate. Back in the day there were "fans" that wanted to bench/trade Aikman and make Steve Walsh the starter.

There were millions of Cowboys "fans" in 1996 that hated Jerry despite the team having just won 3 Super Bowls the previous 4 seasons.

Nah I don't buy that. Maybe the Dak haters, OK. I was very much down on Trysten Hill last year and I haven't felt that way about him this year because I see improvements in his game. If Connor Williams was improving or having more ups than downs fans wouldn't be so down on him.