Twitter: Martin on whether he's playing T this week: "no, I'm playing guard"

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah I don't buy that. Maybe the Dak haters, OK. I was very much down on Trysten Hill last year and I haven't felt that way about him this year because I see improvements in his game. If Connor Williams was improving or having more ups than downs fans wouldn't be so down on him.

I've reviewed all snaps that Connor Williams has played this season.

He had 3 bad snaps vs the Rams, 1 bad with 2 questionable vs the Falcons and 2 bad with 1 questionable vs the Seahawks.

FYI: Trysten Hill was not terrible in the very limited snaps that he played last season. He was a little lost occasionally but physically he looked decent.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Connor was a tackle in college, now he's being put at guard. Guards need to be more powerful to block DTs, who are bigger but slower. Tackles need good footwork, as they have to block smaller, but quicker, DEs.

How many times do we see a draft evaluation on a college player who has played at one position but projects at another one, in the NFL? Often.

There is a difference...

I guess you guys can fantasize that moving Williams to Tackle will miraculously make him a much better player, but I'm not buying it. Besides, Knight seems to be a good young prospect there anyway. Williams is just another draft pick that didn't pan out. We now have McGovern that should get a shot at guard, or play Looney there and move Biadasz into the center position.

Put knight out at RT as it looks like Smith is coming back to LT this week.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Cowboys have to settle their OL. Changes gives you instability in the run and the pass.

When Frederick retired the Cowboys were on suppose to replace a C. They now have a new C, LT, RT, and a weak butt LG that needs to be replaced.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
They need to permanently move Williams out of the starting lineup. Need to officially begin the Biadasz at center future today and put either Looney or McGovern at guard.
Spot on, Roy.
Would upgrade the interior OL immediately, IMO.
Even if McGovern is no good, having Looney-Badiasz-Martin is very workable compared to having Williams out there.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Spot on, Roy.
Would upgrade the interior OL immediately, IMO.
Even if McGovern is no good, having Looney-Badiasz-Martin is very workable compared to having Williams out there.

Williams is never going to be anything more than a very good backup. We have young guys behind him that deserve a chance to prove themselves. Its not like they can do much worse than Williams has.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Williams is never going to be anything more than a very good backup. We have young guys behind him that deserve a chance to prove themselves. Its not like they can do much worse than Williams has.
He still gets overpowered by good DTs in pass pro and isn't very stout as a run blocker.
I'd feel much more confident with Looney or McGovern (at LG) as the weak link inside vs Williams, since neither of them get bullied out there.