Martin to start at RT

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Him moving to RT will not influence this game in anyway. The Boys will lose by double digits but it gives the illusion they are still trying.

No Dak ~ No Win​

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Good move. He looked like a top 10 tackle when he kicked out and McG looked like he held his own. Cam Erving actually surprised me last time out.

tm1119

Reaction score
Outside of missing Smith, it is about on par with most of the league. You can't sustain a superstar line like we tried to do with the way Dallas manages the cap.

Both a $12mil RB AND a really expensive OL with a ton of investments is an insane way to build a franchise. I will never condone paying a RB big $, but if you are going to he better be able to still function highly with an average o line.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Confirming multiple reports: All-Pro right guard Zack Martin will start at right tackle at Minnesota with Connor McGovern moving in at guard. Martin will replace undrafted Terence Steele, who had started all nine games. This will be the seventh different starting offensive line combination the Cowboys have used this season. It will be the first start at right tackle of Martin’s career. He played there in the second half of the Week 3 loss to Seattle.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Outside of missing Smith, it is about on par with most of the league. You can't sustain a superstar line like we tried to do with the way Dallas manages the cap.
And the real problem is you have a great line if they all stay healthy, but even 1-2 injuries kills you because you spend so much money for all star starters that you them have to have backups who cannot play instead of backups who are developing and competing to start.

SackMaster

Reaction score
There is no one player in this draft that would improve the Cowboys more then Sewell. Not even Lawrence.
I wasn't specifically talking about Sewell. I was discussing the buzz word for the draft this year ... "generational talent/prospect/savior" ect ...

And as far as offensive talent, yes Sewell would probably help more than anyone else. But I still believe that easiest way to make a HUGE impact is on the defense side of the ball. Doesn't matter where, all 3 levels have a spot for an easy and monumental upgrade.

I would not cry if Sewell is the pick, but he is more like Plan C IMO.

Plan A is trade down for multiple 1st+ to load up on Defensive Talent. Again, all 3 levels has holes that need to be addressed.

Plan B is getting the top rated defensive player available (if not a reach).

Plan C, if there is no team willing to trade down and it would be a reach for a D player, then go Sewell.

As long as Collins can come back 100%, I feel like our OLine is fine. Not as good as it was, but still top half in the league. Tyron's replacement needs to be found sooner than later, but you don't need an All-Pro at LT to win in the NFL. You just can't have UDFA Rookies and expect too much from them.

JMHO

fivetwos

Reaction score
Im against taking OL or any offense for that matter but it does worry me lookig at the 1st round defenders avuibble in the draft none appear to be a Earl Thoams, Lawrence tailor, Reevis, or Aaron Donald

when you are picking that high and need all positions on defense but cant really see a defender worth atop 10 pick, its tough..so trading down has to be the play..

the draft will change a lot between now and April and we will have a lot more info on players and draft positions but CB may end up having the better players 5-10 area..
I'm concerned about this draft more than others due to the situation.

The only sure thing I see is the LT.

Be tough to pass on him when ours is on the down slope and investing as much as they are going to in Prescott.

I get the whole defense thing, and very much so...

But they really need to think about opening the purse strings to get some defenders in here.

Maybe that's not possible until they can get out of some bad contracts after next year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I wasn't specifically talking about Sewell. I was discussing the buzz word for the draft this year ... "generational talent/prospect/savior" ect ...

And as far as offensive talent, yes Sewell would probably help more than anyone else. But I still believe that easiest way to make a HUGE impact is on the defense side of the ball. Doesn't matter where, all 3 levels have a spot for an easy and monumental upgrade.

I would not cry if Sewell is the pick, but he is more like Plan C IMO.

Plan A is trade down for multiple 1st+ to load up on Defensive Talent. Again, all 3 levels has holes that need to be addressed.

Plan B is getting the top rated defensive player available (if not a reach).

Plan C, if there is no team willing to trade down and it would be a reach for a D player, then go Sewell.

As long as Collins can come back 100%, I feel like our OLine is fine. Not as good as it was, but still top half in the league. Tyron's replacement needs to be found sooner than later, but you don't need an All-Pro at LT to win in the NFL. You just can't have UDFA Rookies and expect too much from them.

JMHO
I love your ideas and possible trade downs especially if we can get someone’s first round pick next season. I just don’t trust the Joneses. They are horrible when it comes to trades. Even though it worked out with Frederick as a player, we got ripped off with the trade value.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
There is no one player in this draft that would improve the Cowboys more then Sewell. Not even Lawrence.
The draft seems to be the only way to score QB talent anymore. but to your point same is true with top Tackles tbh. You almost want to get real with Tyron in regards to where he feels his body is at and how long can he play at a high level? If we can't get Lawrence, we should take Sewell.

Creeper

Reaction score
The only thing that makes sense about this is they had the bye week to work on Martin at RT and McGovern at RG. Otherwise making this move after 9 games is very surprising, especially with Knight back from IR. Maybe they want to give him more time to heal. But then why move Martin to RT if they will move him back to RG?

It seems to me the best OL they can field right now is Erving, Williams, Looney, Martin, Knight because Martin RG + Knight RT is better than McGovern at RG and Martin at RT. What dot hey know about McGovern we don't know?

Williams, Looney, McGovern sounds weak.