Marvin Lewis recaps Cowboys interview

ultron

Reaction score
I respect Marvin as a man and as a coach - I think his playoff record really hurts him when interviewing for new HC jobs, but if he had Aaron Rodgers as his QB we'd be having a different conversation about Marvin.

I realllllly wish we could've got him as our D-coordinator

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd never really considered the point he made about potential coaches being someone the owners know, to a degree, and how important it is that they're in a position to get to know the owners, GMs, etc., in order to better their chances of being considered for a coaching position.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Very little about his actual interview with the Cowboys. The one interesting thing Lewis said is that they wanted to do a deeper dive talking about other people (coaches). Wonder how much of that was about McCarthy?

efh313

Reaction score
Wonder if they asked him if he would be interested in being defensive coordinator, since he was already here?
:facepalm:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Rooney Rule needs to be re examined. There should be some type of incentive for a team to hire a minority HC

Simply have to make teams respect the spirit of the rule. You at least got to interview someone who hasn't been a NFL head coach. That's really the intent of the rule.

This is the 2nd time I recall us halfheartedly satisfying the rule. We phone interviewed Denny Green before we hired Parcells.

When we hired Garrett we respected the spirit of the rule by interviewing Todd Bowles. I recall us talking to both Rivera and Singletary before hiring Wade. Get new faces in the mix for jobs and they are going to gain a better understanding after each interview of how to better position themselves for a HC position. All these guys went on to get those jobs down the line.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Stephen said he and Marvin built a relationship over the years, so that's why Lewis was brought in. Rooney rule or not it's cool, at least theirs a connection, and if Marvin mentioned Hue Jackson I would've keep looking too.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yea what 3 or 4 AA HC’s in a league that’s 75% demographic. Yea, somethings definitely wrong.

I actually think the we won't see real change until we have it in the college ranks and at the coordinator level. Oregon uses the Rooney Rule for coaching hires at their state universities and it has produced better representation.

The NFL needs to look at coordinator hiring a bit more closely as well. The league does a good job with their minority coaching fellowships (over 100 interns take part in training camp and preseason - Phiilip Tanner, Leon Lett, and Gary Brown got their starts as interns). This program often results in guys hired for low level positions but there remains a lack of opportunity to advance.

Coordinator hires on our team demonstrate some real issues. We hired Keith O'Quinn to coordinate ST. His assistant, Carlos Polk has been an assistant ST coach for 11 years now. O'Quinn had far less experience yet he got the ST coordinator job.