Marvin Lewis recaps Cowboys interview

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Totally disagree with U. This is unconstitutional to begin with, and given special rights to one sector is to mistreat another sector. On-top of this, this is totally private enterprise, they can hire who they want. I can't really say what I'd like here, but this policy is a policy behind the regimes of tyranny. Russia, Germany, China. Get rid of this rule period. It doesn't belong in free societies.
No, it's not unconstitutional.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It was a token interview to satisfy Rooney Rule. It’s laughable to think we actually considered him
I'm a minority, and I find this track of thinking laughable and offensive at the same time.

Does anyone truly understand why McCarthy was chosen to be the new head coach of the Dallas Cowboys?

I'll give you a clue: Offensive genius

Another clue: Builder of QBs

There is more, but I'll let y'all figure it out.

csirl

Reaction score
Rooney rule needs to be adjusted so that teams have to interview someone who has never previously been a NFL HC. The aim of the rule is to give exposure to coaches who previously might have been overlooked.

Well established former HCs are already known and already have had the exposure. There is no benefit to having them as Rooney rule interviewees

plymkr

Reaction score
I’m a minority myself. How about hiring coaches based solely on their merits?
I completely agree. I am bothered by the hiring of the new HC for Giants. I know there are more qualified minority coaches out there than a receivers coach who never made it to a coordinator level.

I don't like the Rooney rule at all. I don't think you can mandate people to to be fair in their selection process. But something has to be done cuz there's no way IMO that the HC for the Giants was the best candidate out there and was better than some minority coaches. I mean I think Richards is more qualified than that guy. The Patriots receivers sucked this year.

I completely agree that minority coaches should be hired due to their skill and abilities and not by a rule that says you have to at least interview a minority coach. But that Giants hire really bothers me and it was a slap in the face to all of the minority coaches that were more qualified. That Giants hire just really upset me. I had to get that off my chest. Something is seriously wrong with the owners and coaches if that guy gets a HC gig more qualified coaches didn't. Sucks it's this way in this day and age and I'm disappointed in the league.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'm fine with the Rooney Rule, as long as someone who "identifies" as Native American... and has the DNA test to prove he's at least 1% NA... qualifies. Or, for that matter "identifies" as female, and with the same standard.

More seriously, I'm fine with the Rooney Rule b/c it doesn't make the actual hire a matter of a quota, but just the interview.

There is a purpose served in ensuring that minorities are getting a chance to sit in front of an audience and make their case. And I'm about as Anglo and generally anti-quota employment legislation as you'll find, fwiw.