Massive Confusion: Parcells and Oline

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
YoMick said:
Parcells did seem somewhat high on Pettitti... didnt seem genuine though

Parcells does seem high on McQuistan... I am believing him more on this guy... he has said more
Everyone is high on McQ because Parcells is speaking highly of him. I've watched him closely in preseason and he's sucked it up. Given Parcells's history on OL, I don't think him talking up a player amounts to much.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
VirusX said:
Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe Bill cut Rob because we had a lot of depth and maybe he thought rob would be better off starting somewhere else then sitting behind 1 or 2 people here?

yeah - but doesn't that require a belief that parcells would sacrifice depth on his own team to accommodate the fulfillment of a players' dreams of being a starter somewhere/anywhere?

bit of a stretch for me.

if parcells thought he could use rob he'd still be here.

the irony in all parcells O-line misteps... he used to be one himself.

hmcorp

Reaction score
Real quick on McQ...FLOZELL ADAMS is playing that position.
get real.

md2005

Reaction score
theogt said:
Everyone is high on McQ because Parcells is speaking highly of him. I've watched him closely in preseason and he's sucked it up. Given Parcells's history on OL, I don't think him talking up a player amounts to much.

I think BP like MCQ but if he doesnt show impromvement during the season he could be cut next year. IMO, I belive MCQ is better than Pettite is right not. Im betting that Pettite gets picked up by the Skins. Their tackle depth is very comical. Lets hope it comes back to bit them

cowboyed

Reaction score
LOL, iceberg that was classic and my sentiments exactly.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Woods said:
Ice, it's not as BP has done Petitti a disservice.

With BP's prodding, encouragement, etc., Petitti is probably in the best shape of his life, and he's got a great chance to catch on with another team.

BP hasn't let him fail. This isn't Willie Blade we're talking about here.

I understand where you are coming from but I can't help but think that Petitti will be most buff guy packing groceries.

cowboyed

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Perhaps he drafted him as a developmental prospect that never developed. And perhaps he was just beaten out of his position by a better second day pick in Pat McQuinstan.

2nd day picks are valuable, and I would put the Cowboys record of second day picks the past 4 years up against anyone in the NFL. Feel free to find a team that's had better success.

You know we are cranking on Parcells but remember picking players during the draft is like the morning dew...Sometimes it settles on a rose, at other times on dog shyte.

What is bewildering is we are actually trying to decipher or rationalize Parcells positive words. How can an attaboy for McQuistan be construed as genuine support or recognition while an attaboy for Petitti be considered the kiss of death.

How about we agree they are all platitudes and relative to player development in the pre-season.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It's one thing when a guy is the best you have and is a good guy who works hard...you like him...you don't want him to fail...you encourage him and reward him with praise for all his hard work.

But this isn't choosing your friends for backyard ball...this is the NFL...when there are better players, you upgrade...that's all Parcells did...upgrade...plain and simple.

We all love REctor and Hurd and are happy they are on the team, but if they don't pan out with receiving and blocking, and if suddenly there are better players at the wr position next year, they'll be cut too.

If you don't keep the players who perform the best, you aren't going to be successful in the NFL. I will say that Parcells has been pretty miserable in the draft with OL for sure...picking up guys who surprise him in the 7th round doesn't mean anything except we fans are lucky and the scouts did a nice job. When you pick guys in rounds 2-3, they are supposed to make the team and contribute.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
As far as recent acquistitions go, Columbo and McQuistan seem to be the bright spots. At least there is something positive going on, even if much of the rest of the news hasn't been good.

Well, there should be no confusion that the OL is a weak link on this team.

Because the team couldn't fix it, they've got to live with it - and figure out how to beat the good teams despite the OL weakness.

Cowchips

Reaction score
goshan said:
Don't agree Rack.
If I have time to dig up quotes I will but he said the same stuff about Petitti last year that he has said about McQ and Proctor this year.

Pettiti, McQ and Proctor are all back-ups with "potential". I'm sure Parcells will speak glowingly of anyone in that position until he sees they aren't progressing and get lapped by the next group. It's not Parcells either, any smart coach would do it.

Cowchips

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Thanks for recapping wileedog's argument. I don't care where he is now; he played better tackle for us than Tucker who should be out of the league as well IMO. Voller was better than Tucker and that speaks to Parcells O-line talent evaluation skills. It's part of the reason that I am still worried about our O-line this year.

Have you guys been drinking so much kool-aid that you are comfortable with our O-line right now? If Yes then we have nothing more to talk about...if No then some of the blame for that has to go on Parcells. So far Parcells' efforts on the O-line in the last three years have been decidedly underwhelming IMO.

What should we be concerned about?

The analysts are all saying that the Cowboy offense will be unstoppable with TO forcing double and triple teams, no teams will be blitzing the qb and the o-line with a healthy Adams and Fabini is one of the best in the league.

Stop acting like Chicken-Little and take a glass 1/2 full attitude for a change :D

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
You're lamenting that Pettiti is no longer on the roster.

You seem to be the one that's fine with the status quo.
You are misconstruing my point. I am not lamenting that we didn't keep Pettiti; I am lamenting that we kept Fabini and he has shown nothing in preseason. Pettiti was just as good, younger and has more upside. IMO Fabini is one of those 'progress stoppers' that Parcells talked about because he is not an upgrade and has peaked in his career. If we had replaced Rob with someone better I would have no problem letting him go.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ZeroClub said:
Well, there should be no confusion that the OL is a weak link on this team.

Because the team couldn't fix it, they've got to live with it - and figure out how to beat the good teams despite the OL weakness.
The mere presence of TO on the field will instantly improve our O-line. But an upgrade of the line should be priority #1 next off season.

wileedog

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
You are misconstruing my point. I am not lamenting that we didn't keep Pettiti; I am lamenting that we kept Fabini and he has shown nothing in preseason. Pettiti was just as good, younger and has more upside. IMO Fabini is one of those 'progress stoppers' that Parcells talked about because he is not an upgrade and has peaked in his career. If we had replaced Rob with someone better I would have no problem letting him go.

I don't agree. Fabini improved all during camp and clearly was outplaying Pettiti by the last preseason game. For all the talk about Pettiti's conditioning I didn't see all that much more then was there last year.

Obviously this is subjective and we're both going to have our opinions, but at this point it looks like the coaches didn't see it your way either.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Thanks for recapping wileedog's argument. I don't care where he is now; he played better tackle for us than Tucker who should be out of the league as well IMO. Voller was better than Tucker and that speaks to Parcells O-line talent evaluation skills. It's part of the reason that I am still worried about our O-line this year.

Have you guys been drinking so much kool-aid that you are comfortable with our O-line right now? If Yes then we have nothing more to talk about...if No then some of the blame for that has to go on Parcells. So far Parcells' efforts on the O-line in the last three years have been decidedly underwhelming IMO.

If you recall Vollers was hurt, which made the decision to cut him simple- didn't he get an injury settlement? Not sure releasing an injured player says much about BP's evaluation skills.

I had already suggested before the cuts that it was likely the final choice came down to Fabini and Petitti and that the long term was NOT going to be a big factor due to the emergence of McQ. When BP came down to it he went with the guy he thought would be better THIS YEAR. If McQ is the developmental guy and Columbo is semi solid at RT, that approach makes sense.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
wileedog said:
I don't agree. Fabini improved all during camp and clearly was outplaying Pettiti by the last preseason game. For all the talk about Pettiti's conditioning I didn't see all that much more then was there last year.

Obviously this is subjective and we're both going to have our opinions, but at this point it looks like the coaches didn't see it your way either.
Obviously I did not see it that way; I saw them play equally as well. And I am always for keeping the younger guy with more room for improvement when everything else is equal.

And as far as the coaches seeing it differently than I did; that was the point of this whole thread. Goshan (original poster) and I don't think much of what the coaches have done with our O-Line. And I don't think much of BP or Sparano in their handling of the O-line.

But it's done; I am well on record with my objection to this move. We'll have to wait and see who is right.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
You are misconstruing my point. I am not lamenting that we didn't keep Pettiti; I am lamenting that we kept Fabini and he has shown nothing in preseason.

Well, I videotaped every preseaon game and broke down the position on every snap and I disagree with you. So does Vela's blog, who did the same. So does Grizz's blog, who did the same.

Pettiti was CLEARLY the 5th best tackle on the team, and keeping 5 tackles is unheard of. We're already keeping one developmental guy at the position in McQuinstan.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
If you recall Vollers was hurt, which made the decision to cut him simple- didn't he get an injury settlement? Not sure releasing an injured player says much about BP's evaluation skills.
I knew he was dinged but I do not recall it being a long term or debilitating injury. And Vollers had been playing better in Preseason that year. Unless the injury was much worse than it appeared I still see that move as a mistake.

I had already suggested before the cuts that it was likely the final choice came down to Fabini and Petitti and that the long term was NOT going to be a big factor due to the emergence of McQ. When BP came down to it he went with the guy he thought would be better THIS YEAR. If McQ is the developmental guy and Columbo is semi solid at RT, that approach makes sense.
I also knew it would come down to Fabini and Pettiti. Colombo was pretty obviously in at RT and McQ appears to be too good of a prospect to let go. I have no argument with either of those choices. I am just not convinced that Fabini over Pettiti was the best choice even for THIS YEAR and I certainly do not believe that it was the best for the long haul.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
The mere presence of TO on the field will instantly improve our O-line. But an upgrade of the line should be priority #1 next off season.
The conventional wisdom is that opposing defenses will not put be able to load up against the run vs. the Cowboys for fear that TO will burn them.

Frankly, though, I'm not so sure that T.O. is going to do much to slow the interior rush. Run or pass, opposing defenses can't do much wrong if they smash through the Cowboy's interior OL. Either they get penetration and disrupt the run, or they get penetration and disrupt the immobile Bledsoe. And given the overall quality of the Cowboys' interior OL, the better teams should be able to get penetration even without loading up ....

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

Yeah, I think it would be foolish for any team to constantly stack the LOS or blitz on a daily basis when Terrell Owens is on the field.

The problem we are going to have is 1, what happens if Bledsoe starts to slow down in the 2nd half of the season, 2, when we play teams like the Giants who dont have to blitz to generate pressure.

As far as the Oline being a priority, heck have drafted them as high as in the 2nd and 3rd round, that shows priority enough. The high rounders cant get on the field and the low rounders are.

At some point you have to ask yourself if coaching is a problem here.

I hate to prop up coaches and make them legends but, not sure why this guy isnt here:

link

And why we didnt at least go after this guy 2 years ago:

link

I think those guys would do wonders for our offensive line.