Massive Confusion: Parcells and Oline

Woods

Reaction score
iceberg said:
"i will die before i let you fail" doesn't ring "drama" to you? words of encouragement are one thing and sure - a good thing. but that's a line out of a cheesy grade B movie, not "words of encouragement".

Ice, it's not as BP has done Petitti a disservice.

With BP's prodding, encouragement, etc., Petitti is probably in the best shape of his life, and he's got a great chance to catch on with another team.

BP hasn't let him fail. This isn't Willie Blade we're talking about here.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Yeah, there is every chance that Rob Petitti will succeed, just not with the Cowboys this year. I don't imagine he will clear waivers.

However, Parcells' public pronouncements are probably more PR.

wileedog

Reaction score
goshan said:
Don't agree Rack.
If I have time to dig up quotes I will but he said the same stuff about Petitti last year that he has said about McQ and Proctor this year.

You're problem is not Bill's "confusion."

Your problem is that you take what Bill says to the media literally.

He praised the snot out of Delaroy Stewart a week before he cut him. A week or so before Henson was set adrift Bill said his roster spot was "not in jeapordy."

And no, he never, ever raved about Pettiti like he has about McQ. That, of course, may be a bad thing for McQ, time will tell.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
goshan said:
I like Bill. But lets face it, OLineman confuse him. He waffles all over the place.
His draft picks haven't worked out very well.

He didn't know where to put Andre.

He is super high on someone one year, the next year the guy is gone. Even over a 6 week period, his opinion changes radically.

This is the sure sign of someone who doesn't have something figured out.

Bill can't figure out which olineman are going to be any good. Its that simple.

It wouldn't surprise me if Proctor and McQuistan are gone next year. Or even Columbo.

Don't tell me what a great job Bill has done with the three guys above (Columbo, Proctor, McQ). They have done nothing yet.

Bill was raving about Petitti more last camp than any of the guys above. This year he is wacked.

Bill knows NFL football, but he doesn't know oline.

what you say didn't make sense. pettiti was forced to start for us last year, ut he was a long shot before camp. only rogers leaving really complicated things. Tucker showed a lot in camp but game time he sucked. they saw that and they cut him.

this year he saw McQ playing better than pettiti, colombo outplayed everyone else at RT and fabini is a veteran.

in case you forgot Pettiti gave up the most sacks last year....in the LEAGUE. guess who was second? yep TUCKER.

MCQ played better in preseason than pettiti did. that's why McQ is here. if next year another players plays better than McQ, ten good bye McQ. you can only keep 53 on the roster.

its great to see our scrapes become somebody else's dinner. that speaks volumes about the talent on this team.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
With some of you Parcells can't win ... you complain when he brings in a Jersey Guy, and then you cry when he releases Jersey Guy because he should have given him more time. Sheesh.

I don't know why it upsets some Cowboys fans when a player is released because he was beaten out by better players. It means the Cowboys have upgraded the talent at their position. Anyone watching the games could easily see that Fabini and McQuinstan were better football players.

Folks, he lasted until the 6th round for a reason, and it wasn't just because he was fat. Give NFL personnel departments some credit. They'll take a fat guy if they think he's a good football player. Shawn Andrews is fat, and he went with a Top 20 pick. The day he was drafted a poster came to the board who said he watches Pitt football religiously and said Pettiti would never make it. I always remembered that.

Keep in mind that the Cowboys were able to trade off Sean Ryan for a draft pick, but couldn't do the same for Pettiti. And this is a league starved for offensive tackles. That's how highly Pettiti is thought of. Its extremely likely that Parcells eeked every ounce out of Pettiti's talent last year. He didn't fail him.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Look, this is a tough business. It's probably why BP spends 20-odd hours per day pacing back and forth stewing about it. He had some tough choices to make and not all of them pan out. Maybe he will be proven right for keeping Fabini over Petitti, maybe not. But I'll give him this -- it was a tough call. It's nauseating sometimes to come in here and see on the one hand people who automatically piss and moan when a decision is made and on the other hand, people who would defend a Dallas Cowboy were he found to be instigating the freakin' apocalypse. I swear to Gawd if BP opened up a press conference by saying he had decided to send nuclear weapons plans to Iran, we'd have three guys in here tsk-tsking the rest of us for having the gall to question BP.

These cuts may or may not work out in the end. That is all we know.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
goshan said:
I like Bill. But lets face it, OLineman confuse him. He waffles all over the place.

He is super high on someone one year, the next year the guy is gone. Even over a 6 week period, his opinion changes radically.

It wouldn't surprise me if Proctor and McQuistan are gone next year. Or even Columbo.

Don't tell me what a great job Bill has done with the three guys above (Columbo, Proctor, McQ). They have done nothing yet.

Bill was raving about Petitti more last camp than any of the guys above. This year he is wacked.

I see this about Bill also. Last year he cut Vollers who was a proven player and could play either side. He was no All Pro but he was head and shoulders above Torrin Tucker. That move cost us last year. I hope that his decision to keep Fabini (who I don't trust AT ALL) will not come back to bite us in the ***.

wileedog

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I see this about Bill also. Last year he cut Vollers who was a proven player and could play either side. He was no All Pro but he was head and shoulders above Torrin Tucker. That move cost us last year. I hope that his decision to keep Fabini (who I don't trust AT ALL) will not come back to bite us in the ***.

And Vollers has done exactly what since leaving?

Heck, at least Tucker got his offer matched by Tampa, so somebody else saw something in him.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
wileedog said:
And Vollers has done exactly what since leaving?

Heck, at least Tucker got his offer matched by Tampa, so somebody else saw something in him.
Not to be picky but he didn't get his offer matched...we never made him an offer. Be that as it may; Vollers did a much better job for us here than Tucker did; that's the bottm line.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Not to be picky but he didn't get his offer matched...we never made him an offer. Be that as it may; Vollers did a much better job for us here than Tucker did; that's the bottm line.

Please....neither one was any good. The fact that Kurt is out of the league should tell you something.

md2005

Reaction score
He confused because he gave up our book ends that gave up over 24 sacks in eight game. I call him a genius

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
goshan said:

umm who are you to say that a hall of fame coach is confused by o-linemen. what a joke

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
md2005 said:
He confused because he gave up our book ends that gave up over 24 sacks in eight game. I call him a genius
This is a one liner that if read very slowly makes alot of sense.

There was a reason Pettiti was cut and wasnt even traded for, because if he was so good, he would sign with the team of his choice and not the certain team that may have wanted to trade for him in the first place.

He was an overweight, overachieveing player who struggles with pass blocking and why he was passed over until condtional draft picks in the 6th round of the draft.

NFL go through lots of players every year, even moreso at postions they are thin at. BP just liked Fabini and McQ better.

VirusX

Reaction score
goshan said:

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe Bill cut Rob because we had a lot of depth and maybe he thought rob would be better off starting somewhere else then sitting behind 1 or 2 people here?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Please....neither one was any good. The fact that Kurt is out of the league should tell you something.
Thanks for recapping wileedog's argument. I don't care where he is now; he played better tackle for us than Tucker who should be out of the league as well IMO. Voller was better than Tucker and that speaks to Parcells O-line talent evaluation skills. It's part of the reason that I am still worried about our O-line this year.

Have you guys been drinking so much kool-aid that you are comfortable with our O-line right now? If Yes then we have nothing more to talk about...if No then some of the blame for that has to go on Parcells. So far Parcells' efforts on the O-line in the last three years have been decidedly underwhelming IMO.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Have you guys been drinking so much kool-aid that you are comfortable with our O-line right now?

You're lamenting that Pettiti is no longer on the roster.

You seem to be the one that's fine with the status quo.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
With some of you Parcells can't win ... you complain when he brings in a Jersey Guy, and then you cry when he releases Jersey Guy because he should have given him more time. Sheesh.

I don't know why it upsets some Cowboys fans when a player is released because he was beaten out by better players. It means the Cowboys have upgraded the talent at their position. Anyone watching the games could easily see that Fabini and McQuinstan were better football players.

Folks, he lasted until the 6th round for a reason, and it wasn't just because he was fat. Give NFL personnel departments some credit. They'll take a fat guy if they think he's a good football player. Shawn Andrews is fat, and he went with a Top 20 pick. The day he was drafted a poster came to the board who said he watches Pitt football religiously and said Pettiti would never make it. I always remembered that.

Keep in mind that the Cowboys were able to trade off Sean Ryan for a draft pick, but couldn't do the same for Pettiti. And this is a league starved for offensive tackles. That's how highly Pettiti is thought of. Its extremely likely that Parcells eeked every ounce out of Pettiti's talent last year. He didn't fail him.

Good points. But I would ask this question...Why did Parcells draft him if a guy who watched Pitt football religiously knew he wouldn't make it?

6th round picks aren't garbage selections. If that's what Pettiti really is, then it was another very bad OL draft pick for Bill.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Good points. But I would ask this question...Why did Parcells draft him if a guy who watched Pitt football religiously knew he wouldn't make it?

6th round picks aren't garbage selections. If that's what Pettiti really is, then it was a very bad draft pick for Bill.

Perhaps he drafted him as a developmental prospect that never developed. And perhaps he was just beaten out of his position by a better second day pick in Pat McQuinstan.

2nd day picks are valuable, and I would put the Cowboys record of second day picks the past 4 years up against anyone in the NFL. Feel free to find a team that's had better success.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Parcells did seem somewhat high on Pettitti... didnt seem genuine though

Parcells does seem high on McQuistan... I am believing him more on this guy... he has said more