Video: Matt Cassel: The Low Down

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Matt Cassel's our starter till # 9 comes back. We all know that.
The majority of the Cowboys fan base, including myself, was clamoring for a viable change from Weeden. We know that.
That change is Matt Cassel. We know that.
But what do we know about Matt Cassel?

So, I looked around to see anything from highlight videos (which IMHO are not the most realistic analysis of a players overall play), game footage (not All 22 because I do not subscribe, lol!) and basically what other solid analysis I could find on the net through game footage or youtube.

All in all I came across 3 decent videos showcasing specific footage on what looks to be Cassel's last 3 real games starting, while playing for the Vikings.

What I got from Cassel's play in these videos are as followed:

- He may not be Tony Romo but he knows his way around the field and huddle. There's leadership.
- Definitely is experienced and does not look like a "dear in headlights" while playing. You can operate a full offense taking into account his arm strength. No dumbing down basically.
- Not really as bad a decision maker as I thought. Seemed to consistently know where the open target was.
- Was able to audible and hot route to what the defense was giving.
- Decent to good mobility.
- Moves around inside the pocket very well to buy that extra half second and steps up into it when it's available.
- Tough enough to take the hits necessary to get the ball out, as well to take the sack instead of turning the ball over.
- Comfortable pocket passer that does not seem to get out of the pocket much, but will run the time or 2 it is available for a gain.
- Effective with play action.
- Solid at understanding the plays and reading defenses.
- Accuracy like many other QB's depends on time, pressure and WR's execution on routes.
- Solid in the redzone. Didn't make any mistakes down there and gets it to the open target where it needs to be to make the catch. They dropped it on him.
- Can certainly sustain sizeable drives and move the chains with his arm especially when there is a balanced attack.
- Not a very strong arm but anything intermediate, 15-30 yards out, has everything required from a strength and accuracy standpoint.
- Did not seem to take the shot down field a lot, but did take a shot from time to time. Can make deep throws but not outstanding at it.

Ultimately, Cassel is a game manager and probably one of the better backups in the league ala Kyle Orton. He will not hurt you with his decision making as long as you keep him upright throughout most of the game. He will take a couple of shots at a big play or 2 throughout the game but do not expect as many as Jerry seems to make it sound like.

We all know we need to get a running game going. But if/when we do, this guy is good with play action and will yield us multiple results that way in a game. Because he's not the greatest down field passer, but will get us going intermediate downwards, we should mix in some misdirection plays behind the line of scrimmage with Beasley and Williams. Some crossing routes that can clear a path for Witten to go 1 on 1 with LB's and have some space alone with them. Need some screens and pick plays too, he utilized a lot of them playing for NE and KC. This will help loosen up some running lanes inside and force CB's to have to make tackles on the outside.

But the play action is where he's going to get the big plays for us if we can get the running game going and give him some time to execute. We need to incorporate some of those plays into the play book and utilize them to keep defenses honest.

If we can do these things on offense, create turnovers and play good defense. Get ST's to make a play or 2 and get us some good field position. I see why there is no reason we can't go 2-2 these next 4 games against these next 4 opponents. But it is definitely going to have to be a total team effort because there's no # 9 to hide the blemishes and win us a game he kept us in. There probably won't be a # 88 for the next game or 2 to spark fear and make big plays for the next game or 2.

Dying to hear what others see/know about Cassel and ways we can utilize him so we can get some wins these next 4 games.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Thanks for your efforts! Appreciated.

IMO......I saw a dude staring down receivers.

BUT that may very well have been because the OL was weak and there was pressure.

He did at least move around in and out of the pocket which is what Weeden couldn't do.

I just watched the first vid, BTW. At work.....

Thanks again.

DenCWBY

Reaction score

BUT that may very well have been because the OL was weak and there was pressure.

He did at least move around in and out of the pocket which is what Weeden couldn't do.

Thanks again.

Good review, I did see him look off the safety and go opposite side of the field a few times which is encouraging and he's certainly looking at his primary deep routes and took some chances. Thought his release was average, not what we're used to seeing with #9. He's a pocket guy for sure and gets rid of the ball which is ok. Had pretty good location on his sideline throws and touch on his screens looked ok. Certainly will be interesting to see how he does in this offense. If he can't get the ball down the field successfully, it's going to be tough sledding in NY.

dallasdave

Reaction score
The majority of the Cowboys fan base, including myself, was clamoring for a viable change from Weeden. We know that.

So, I looked around to see anything from highlight videos (which IMHO are not the most realistic analysis of a players overall play), game footage (not All 22 because I do not subscribe, lol!) and basically what other solid analysis I could find on the net through game footage or youtube.

All in all I came across 3 decent videos showcasing specific footage on what looks to be Cassel's last 3 real games starting, while playing for the Vikings.

- He may not be Tony Romo but he knows his way around the field and huddle. There's leadership.
- Definitely is experienced and does not look like a "dear in headlights" while playing. You can operate a full offense taking into account his arm strength. No dumbing down basically.
- Not really as bad a decision maker as I thought. Seemed to consistently know where the open target was.
- Moves around inside the pocket very well to buy that extra half second and steps up into it when it's available.
- Tough enough to take the hits necessary to get the ball out, as well to take the sack instead of turning the ball over.
- Comfortable pocket passer that does not seem to get out of the pocket much, but will run the time or 2 it is available for a gain.
- Accuracy like many other QB's depends on time, pressure and WR's execution on routes.
- Solid in the redzone. Didn't make any mistakes down there and gets it to the open target where it needs to be to make the catch. They dropped it on him.
- Can certainly sustain sizeable drives and move the chains with his arm especially when there is a balanced attack.
- Not a very strong arm but anything intermediate, 15-30 yards out, has everything required from a strength and accuracy standpoint.
- Did not seem to take the shot down field a lot, but did take a shot from time to time. Can make deep throws but not outstanding at it.

Ultimately, Cassel is a game manager and probably one of the better backups in the league ala Kyle Orton. He will not hurt you with his decision making as long as you keep him upright throughout most of the game. He will take a couple of shots at a big play or 2 throughout the game but do not expect as many as Jerry seems to make it sound like.

We all know we need to get a running game going. But if/when we do, this guy is good with play action and will yield us multiple results that way in a game. Because he's not the greatest down field passer, but will get us going intermediate downwards, we should mix in some misdirection plays behind the line of scrimmage with Beasley and Williams. Some crossing routes that can clear a path for Witten to go 1 on 1 with LB's and have some space alone with them. Need some screens and pick plays too, he utilized a lot of them playing for NE and KC. This will help loosen up some running lanes inside and force CB's to have to make tackles on the outside.

But the play action is where he's going to get the big plays for us if we can get the running game going and give him some time to execute. We need to incorporate some of those plays into the play book and utilize them to keep defenses honest.

If we can do these things on offense, create turnovers and play good defense. Get ST's to make a play or 2 and get us some good field position. I see why there is no reason we can't go 2-2 these next 4 games against these next 4 opponents. But it is definitely going to have to be a total team effort because there's no # 9 to hide the blemishes and win us a game he kept us in. There probably won't be a # 88 for the next game or 2 to spark fear and make big plays for the next game or 2.

Dying to hear what others see/know about Cassel and ways we can utilize him so we can get some wins these next 4 games.

Leadership is what is needed in that huddle !!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can some up what I saw in one word:

Competency

Cassel looked capable and competent. His vision and ability to process the information in front of him looks light years ahead of what we were getting from Brandon Weeden. Weeden looked like a pre-programmed robot out there, doing as little thinking as possible.

For better or worse, I think Cassel is going to let it loose and throw it. We might get more interceptions as a result, but, more importantly, I think we're going to look like a competent offense that will use the whole field, and not the dink and dunk, no threat stuff we've looked like for the past few weeks.

I think Cassel will ultimately be able to get opposing defenses to back off, at least somewhat, over the next few games. And the return of even a perceived down field threat in Brice Butler should be a help too. He shouldn't force it, but he needs to go down the field to loosen things up. That will make the entire offense better.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

I think his NFL experience has served him well, especially the time with Belichick and Brady.

He's not as quick of hand and foot as Romo, but few are. The ability to read and react is the biggest void we've had, and he'll be much better than We-done. His arm is adequate.

He's a capable back up, and just what we need at this time.

BTW, we do need to run a lot more play-action.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I think his NFL experience has served him well, especially the time with Belichick and Brady.

He's not as quick of hand and foot as Romo, but few are. The ability to read and react is the biggest void we've had, and he'll be much better than We-done. His arm is adequate.

He's a capable back up, and just what we need at this time.

BTW, we do need to run a lot more play-action.

Couldn't agree more on all fronts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good review. If you want more perspective look at Bob Sturm's review.

I think it comes down to whether or not he forces throws resulting in INTs. It seems he has done that at times in the past, but Romo has also done that in his past.

The Cowboys had a chance to win both the Falcons and Saints games. They just needed a little bit more from the QB to win those games. The Giants are a similar talent level to those teams, IMO.

Above all else, Weed's biggest problem, IMO, is that he was scared to get hit. What other QB would slide down behind the line with minimal pressure. Cassel does not appear to have that problem.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Thank you.

You're dead on about both QB's pocket presence and how they differentiate.

You're teammates are going to war with you, as their leader they need to know you can take a hit like them for the betterment of the team.

Furthermore, that half second could be the difference of extending that 1 drive that can win you the game.

Teams will respect Cassel more than Weeden. The huddle definitely will.

From what I have seen in his last 3 games I would take Cassel over Bradford or Cousins at this point.

So that's got to keep us somewhere in the mix of winning our division games. You never know when # 9 gets back.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
He is solid at worst.

No excuse for our coaches to not win a game or 2 with him as our QB.. No excuse.

He's no worse than Bradford or Cousins from what I see lately.

So I would have to agree with you.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Thanks again.

I salute you for getting these for our greedy eyes.

But . . . Cassell is getting his feets set when he thows but it seems like a nanosecond between the time he sets his feets and throws.

Is there something going on here . . . that he might not be fully setting before delivering the ball?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

Lots of work here. Much appreciated.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
He looks better than Weeden, that's for sure. Does he have trouble getting proper arc on the ball? It seems like several of his passes were tipped at the line. Moreso than league average. Did anyone else notice that?

Aven8

Reaction score
He is light years ahead Weeds. Not sure that will translate on Sunday due to only being here for a month however.

I also saw so many crossing routes underneath from Minny and they were always wide open! What a concept! Please forward these videos to Linny and JG!

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
He is solid at worst.

No excuse for our coaches to not win a game or 2 with him as our QB.. No excuse.

We must win NY and Philly. We will prob lose to Seattle, and will prob beat the Bucs. But beating NY and Philly is a must. It will give us some serious leeway come tiebreakers, as we all know the division will come down to the very end. The difference between 9-7 and 10-6 at the end of the year is huge.

superonyx

Reaction score
Watching those videos made me appreciate the time our offensive line can give our QB's.

That Minny line had the pockets collapsing very quickly and on every pass. Not many clean pockets in those 3 games. Especially the chargers game (video 2).

Overall he looked good enough that we would have beaten the Saints and Falcons.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Watching those videos made me appreciate the time our offensive line can give our QB's.

That Minny line had the pockets collapsing very quickly and on every pass. Not many clean pockets in those 3 games. Especially the chargers game (video 2).

Overall he looked good enough that we would have beaten the Saints and Falcons.

That was my takeaway from those videos. Those offensive lines weren't giving him a whole lot of time, but he was sliding around pretty well and avoiding the pressure as best he could. Weeden, if you ever moved him off his spot, was just a disaster.