Video: Matt Cassel: The Low Down

chagus

Reaction score
I'm already preparing myself for losing more winnable games.

debbie-downer.jpg

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All we need to win the next 2 games is a bus driver and he is certainly that. The question is, does the OC put him in a position to do that, hopefully they've added some wrinkles in both the passing game and more importantly the running game over the bye. It makes me puke to know when a play is goin to be a run, and then watch us motion a guy to where the play is going.

Oh yea, cut Weeden now and bring in a young guy like a Logan Thomas who has all the tools just needs some coaching.

Last edited:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
That was my takeaway from those videos. Those offensive lines weren't giving him a whole lot of time, but he was sliding around pretty well and avoiding the pressure as best he could. Weeden, if you ever moved him off his spot, was just a disaster.

That's why I have confidence we can make some plays with Cassel.

We give him some time in the pocket, get some guys open, provide a balanced attack, some field position from time to time and we should be able to put up some points.

He didn't even have AP last season either.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's about as marginal a player as you'd ever have starting for you at QB. He just doesn't have the loser stank that permeates from Brandon Weeden.

We're still very much a dreadful offense talent wise.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Don't agree on the marginal part...he looks competent. Think Trent Dilfer, a guy that never could do it all himself but when surrounded by a good team didn't screw things up. He is more mobile than I thought and the Vikings OL was pretty brutal in pass protection, although many times the guy said the tackles would get beat but it was after 3-4 seconds...most times ball should already be gone.

What is good is that I believe with the Vikings he was in Norv Turner's offense, which is similar to Linnehan's. You see the dig routes we run. You see the TE inside. You see the dumpoffs to the backs. I think despite the fact that he has not been here long, he will be able to run the offense pretty well. I also think our OL has been doing very good for the most part in pass blocking....not so much run blocking and that may be a numbers issue. He should get decent time to pass....and the Giants D line is not much of a pass rushing group so that bodes well.

As long as he doesn't chuck a bunch of int's, I think we will be pleasantly surprised by the outcome of this game.

31smackdown

Reaction score
I think a big tell on Cassel is what the players are saying in their interviews and what Cassel is saying compared to what Weeden said. You can tell that there is a significant change in the attitude of this offense with Cassel starting. You hear hidden references alluding to Weeden not being able to run the offense, the way that it is designed.You also have Cassel talking about the Giants defense and showing his level of study and understanding of their players and packages. There is a confidence level that was not there before with Weeden. I think Cassel and the rest of the offense believes they will no longer be handicapped, the way they have been the last 3 games if you read between the lines.

I think the Cowboys match up well inside against the Giants and the Cassel should have plenty of protection. The Giants have two solid corners in Cromartie and Holesly(sp?), but if Beason doesn't play, their interior is weak. My point here is that Cassel should have the opportunity to show what he is capable of in this game. I think a quarter or two and a couple of 15 yard seam or dig routes into the game we'll notice pretty quickly what Cassel brings to the table.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cassel is going to have our offense moving. Of course he will be no romo but he'll be so much better than Weeden. I think we are going to win the next 4 games. Our WR and TE are better than Minnesota even without Dez. Romo is coming back to a 6-3 team watch.