Matt Eberflus - Cowboys offered him D-Coordnator job

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a fair point. I've asked a number of times why some are so certain Eberflus is such a gem - I'm not saying he isn't, but his resume isn't really stellar.

You don't really hear much about him. There was scuttlebutt that he basically ran the defense other than on game days during Rob's last year. And the fact that he was Rob's protege and the team kept him on after dismissing Ryan was pretty telling. Ryan used to go on and on about what a genius the guy was. Problem with that is that Ryan was an idiot, so it's hard to know how to weigh his two-cents.

From what I've seen since then, the team seems to consider Marinelli the actual gem, and Eberflus the on-staff replacement if Marinelli were to retire or lose a wrestling match to a bear or whatever.

JustChip

Reaction score
If Eberflus wasn't okay with pushing Marinelli into another role with the team to make room for him to be D-Coordinator, why would he be okay with pushing Marinelli into unemployment to make room for him as D-Coordinator?

He wouldn't, but if you wanted to make a change at DC, you first fire the current DC and then hire his replacement. Of course, if Eberflus chose not to "interview" for the DC, they'd be forced to find another replacement.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
To me the bigger issue here is that they don't think that highly enough of Marinelli that when the LB coach looks for another job, they scramble to then push Marinelli aside.

If that's the case, then just fire Marinelli and go out and grab a better DC. Clearly, they don't think Marinelli is the best they can do if they were willing to bump him out of his job just to keep Eberflus from going to Indy.
I fully agree with this if they don't think rod is good enough then go get a defensive guy that is

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
This isn't a "corporate ladder", it's a coaching ladder. And I don't think any added title takes away from the fact that the team would have someone else running the defense. Call it what you want, but that's not doing him any favors. He knows full well what happens to his mentor Monte Kiffin.

It's certainly a shame if and when that happens. Then they'll have no Marinelli and no replacement. At lest none worth anything.

And I don't rule out the fact that Rod could still retire this year. And then they'd be in a great position.

Not within the organisation no. I'm not ruling out Rod retiring either but I think he's a pretty righteous dude and will honor his 2 year extension. Was really hoping Eberflus would slip through the cracks but doubtful. Our best young position coach. Jackson is pretty decent too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not within the organisation no. I'm not ruling out Rod retiring either but I think he's a pretty righteous dude and will honor his 2 year extension. Was really hoping Eberflus would slip through the cracks but doubtful. Our best young position coach. Jackson is pretty decent too.

I like Jackson too. He's probably the best we've got left.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Just when I thought the general management of this team couldn't get any worse, it gets worse.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I am so confused/lost on these coaching changes. Has Jerry actually held one of them accountable and "fired" him or they just leaving for various reasons with nothing to do with actual coaching?

I don't see any rhyme or reason in this "process".........:laugh:

If you wanted Efer to be DC, then do it and fire Marinelli. There is no reason to move Rod around to make room where he would essentially still be the DC. This isn't the good ole boys club where you can have a job for however long you wish.

Exactly..............whatever happened to actually earning your dam job around here?

If you want Eberflus to be DC, then make him the dam DC and tell old man Rod that its been fun, but time to go. How many times the D needed a stop and the other team went right down the field and scored?

Same thing with Garrett and these other losers, if you cant get the job done after almost 8 freaking years, its time to step aside and let somebody else have a go at it. This crap that everybody has a job as long as they want it is laughable.

I wonder if the department I manage beats internal quotas one time in seven years if I would still have a job...........nope, unlike Garrett, I actually have to deliver results to keep my job.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
You don't really hear much about him. There was scuttlebutt that he basically ran the defense other than on game days during Rob's last year. And the fact that he was Rob's protege and the team kept him on after dismissing Ryan was pretty telling. Ryan used to go on and on about what a genius the guy was. Problem with that is that Ryan was an idiot, so it's hard to know how to weigh his two-cents.

From what I've seen since then, the team seems to consider Marinelli the actual gem, and Eberflus the on-staff replacement if Marinelli were to retire or lose a wrestling match to a bear or whatever.

Lol, Ryan went on and on about Scandrick and Jenkins and the great secondary when he first came here too. Only one guy with more hot air than Rob Ryan, Rex Ryan. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Last edited:

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
sounds like a total mixed up deal to me of course I guess how this org has been run for over the last 20 years or so

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Sounds like BS. Supposedly Marinelli only plans another year anyway. If Eberflus had wanted the DC position in Dallas, he and Marinelli could have come to whatever working relationship they wanted for the year if it was about respect.

It was about preferring to be with McDaniels in Indy than Garrett and Jerry in Dallas. Which is a pretty big statement on Garret and Jerry.

The guy has lived in Dallas a while now. Dallas is the big stage. The defense actually has a lot of young and improving players.

Saying it was about Marinelli's toes is a transparent face saving out for wanting to get out from Garrett and Jones.

Good news that our management wanted to do the sensible thing.
Bad news that a respected coach who knows the org didn't want to remain with it.

Good point.

Has anybody thought for a second that maybe Dallas is not the dream job all of us fans think it is?

Maybe Eberflus knows Garrett is a complete idiot and only has a job due to Jerry being "comfortable" and knows this team is going nowhere. So maybe he looks at Indy and sees McDaniel and thinks "Patriot bloodline". So where do I want to be, coaching in Dallas with this goober trying to prove he is not an idiot or in Indy with a guy that has rings on his fingers.

Seems like he decide to work for the guy with rings on his fingers.......................cant say I blame him, I would have made the same decision