Matt Eberflus - Cowboys offered him D-Coordnator job

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What would the asst. HC do? That is usually a title they use to get around lateral moves from coaches. If the HC gets tossed from the game, he hands his little red flag to the asst. HC? That's the job?

If Eberfluss wants to run a little different D, how does that work? He's still reporting to Marinelli. Or were they thinking of just the title DC to keep him and Marinelli still makes the D calls on game days? That's what Quinn did his first season, took back the D calling from his DC but he remained DC. Same thing happened to Payton when Fassel took back the play calling but he remained the OC.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I just heard on the ticket the cowboys were going to hire Ken Norton Jr to the defensive coordinator.

Sounds like Jerry. A staff filled with former Cowboy players. Family business, and treats it that way.

Reaction score
ON the football filed Marinelli is treated like he's accomplished,somthing? - all he is , is old.

He was a terrible HC and his defense is more outdated than Tom Landry running the Flex in the late 80's ...

You fire Rod and you MAKE Eberflus the DC

That's how business works dummies.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ON the football filed Marinelli is treated like he's accomplished,somthing? - all he is , is old.

He was a terrible HC and his defense is more outdated than Tom Landry running the Flex in the late 80's ...

You fire Rod and you MAKE Eberflus the DC

That's how business works dummies.

Or...your assessment of Marinelli is wrong and the Cowboys wanted to keep him in place.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not at all. It's a DC job now, with someone you know you'd like to work for, v. a possible DC job in a year or three, if the current staff is still in place.

You're assuming it would be only one year before Marinelli retires, and that Jerry was willing to pay him like a second DC in the interim. Then there's still the idea that he'd be pushing a man he probably respects into retirement if he goes that route, on top of the fact that it'd be a fairly dysfunctional relationship until the transition was made for real.

The NFL is about pushing guys above you out. Dak didn't shed too many tears for pushing Tony out. Nor should he have.

I agree that pay and guarantees matter. I'm assuming he was offered a multiyear contract, at a good pay rate for a DC. A 1 year deal would have been a fraud, just basically giving him a new title without any demonstrated intent to really make him DC, let alone guarantee. We'll see if the specifics of the deal ever comes out.

But I wouldn't really be consoled to find out the Cowboys made a crap offer to the only up and coming coach on staff. I was giving them credit for doing the smart thing and making a real offer to Eberflus.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because that's what happens in rhis game. Coordinators get fired and assistants get hired to take over....he put his time in but old man rod won't go away

It also happens that coaches move into other roles and make room for others to take their old role, but Eberflus said no to that because he didn't want to step on Marinelli's toes, so it doesn't make sense to think he would be okay stepping on Marinelli's toes by being the cause of him being fired altogether. It's an illogical argument.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Or...your assessment of Marinelli is wrong and the Cowboys wanted to keep him in place.
And what does that say about the Cowboys management, that they let an up and coming DC go to keep a guy near the end of the line?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.

Eberflus has been with the Cowboys for years. One more year where his authority is clearly expanded, while getting the title and pay of DC, and being promised the job the following year is a no brainer to stay - *if* you would rather be DC under Garrett and Jerry than DC under McDaniels in Indy.

This is was a vote of no confidence for Cowboy management, pure and simple.

Yep, the 4-12 Colts have a much better situation ...

slick325

Reaction score
Coach Eb did what he needed to do. Good for him. The rueage is amazing for a Coach no one knows will make a good DC. At least let him save McDaniels job because his defense is top ranked before the rueage begins.

I still think McDaniels falls on his face even IF Luck is back to being Luck and is healthy. Meaning that Eb will be looking for a job. Relax folks. Lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like BS. Supposedly Marinelli only plans another year anyway. If Eberflus had wanted the DC position in Dallas, he and Marinelli could have come to whatever working relationship they wanted for the year if it was about respect.

It was about preferring to be with McDaniels in Indy than Garrett and Jerry in Dallas. Which is a pretty big statement on Garret and Jerry.

The guy has lived in Dallas a while now. Dallas is the big stage. The defense actually has a lot of young and improving players.

Saying it was about Marinelli's toes is a transparent face saving out for wanting to get out from Garrett and Jones.

Good news that our management wanted to do the sensible thing.
Bad news that a respected coach who knows the org didn't want to remain with it.

Maybe it was BS, maybe not. We don't know - it's speculation. But if Eberflus thought Marinelli really wanted to stay as DC and would have been forced out to make room for Eberflus then it's perfectly reasonable that Eberflus wouldn't have tried to work through it with Marinelli - that in itself would be stepping on Marinelli's toes and asking him to do something he didn't want to do.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL is about pushing guys above you out. Dak didn't shed too many tears for pushing Tony out. Nor should he have.

I agree that pay and guarantees matter. I'm assuming he was offered a multiyear contract, at a good pay rate for a DC. A 1 year deal would have been a fraud, just basically giving him a new title without any demonstrated intent to really make him DC, let alone guarantee. We'll see if the specifics of the deal ever comes out.

But I wouldn't really be consoled to find out the Cowboys made a crap offer to the only up and coming coach on staff. I was giving them credit for doing the smart thing and making a real offer to Eberflus.

It sounds like you're higher on Eberflus than I am. I've heard the rest of the staff really likes him, but if he were really hot stuff, he could have been promoted at any point. He pre-dated Kiffin, and the elevation of Marinelli. They let him go into the season this year with an expiring contract. That could have been sewn up at any point with an offer like the one that's getting reported now if they were actually all that concerned.

I believe it's a case of the team liking him, but wanting him to get a bit of experience with the 4-3. Content to let him test the market. Maybe he ends up a candidate in a year or three if we're in the HC market again, or he comes back as DC if and when whats-his-overrated-face flames out in TEN/IND in a couple of seasons.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I agree with your point on the negativity, the reality is that if the Cowboys wanted Eberflus to be the DC and not Marinelli, they should've simply fired Rod and hired Eberflus. In all likelihood, they didn't want to change, they did it to try to retain Eberflus, but that's a jacked way to run a railroad.

If Eberflus wasn't okay with pushing Marinelli into another role with the team to make room for him to be D-Coordinator, why would he be okay with pushing Marinelli into unemployment to make room for him as D-Coordinator?

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Great.

Lose Eberflus this year and then Marinelli retires, this year or next.

Even if they happen to find a good one, they're never smart enough to keep them.

But the ones you don't want around? The guys who can't win after 7 years? Yeah, they'll never leave.

Look at the bright side.....Jerry gets to keep his favorite son, Jason Jones Garrett....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sounds like you're higher on Eberflus than I am. I've heard the rest of the staff really likes him, but if he were really hot stuff, he could have been promoted at any point. He pre-dated Kiffin, and the elevation of Marinelli. They let him go into the season this year with an expiring contract. That could have been sewn up at any point with an offer like the one that's getting reported now if they were actually all that concerned.

I believe it's a case of the team liking him, but wanting him to get a bit of experience with the 4-3. Content to let him test the market. Maybe he ends up a candidate in a year or three if we're in the HC market again, or he comes back as DC if and when whats-his-overrated-face flames out in TEN/IND in a couple of seasons.

This is a fair point. I've asked a number of times why some are so certain Eberflus is such a gem - I'm not saying he isn't, but his resume isn't really stellar.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Makes you wonder if Matt or Rod would have had the new bogus title? More likely both and their roles would have been the same.