Matt Miller's Dallas Report

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: A well-placed source in the Dallas front office told me cornerback is the primary need, with targets being Kevin King and potentially Cordrea Tankersley. In Round 2, the team would like to add a pass-rusher if it misses out on T.J. Watt in Round 1. They also worked out Tarell Basham (Ohio), and a scout with the club confirmed they do like him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Gaede

Reaction score
Of course they think CB is highest priority. When in doubt, draft a DB, it seems. Not too high on King. That would be a Byron Jones type pick though, so it's not the worst. Is Tankersly a good fit for our defense?

On the other hand, I love Basham.

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: A well-placed source in the Dallas front office told me cornerback is the primary need, with targets being Kevin King and potentially Cordrea Tankersley. In Round 2, the team would like to add a pass-rusher if it misses out on T.J. Watt in Round 1. They also worked out Tarell Basham (Ohio), and a scout with the club confirmed they do like him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national
If a quality edge rusher is available, I think it would be a mistake not to take one. Yes, CB is a position of need but I also see the success of this dfense starting with putting opposing QBs under duress. We need to get more pressure, which will automatically make the CB position better

Alexander

Reaction score
Of course they think CB is highest priority. When in doubt, draft a DB, it seems. Not too high on King. That would be a Byron Jones type pick though, so it's not the worst. Is Tankersly a good fit for our defense?
Tankersley's name keeps popping up in association with the Cowboys. Perhaps more than any other cornerback we have visited with other than Adoree Jackson.

I don't think he is good enough to justify 28 though.

Sydla

Reaction score
Tankersley's name keeps popping up in association with the Cowboys. Perhaps more than any other cornerback we have visited with other than Adoree Jackson.

Yeah not at 28. But at 60 or a trade down from 28? I could see that.

Alexander

Reaction score
If a quality edge rusher is available, I think it would be a mistake not to take one. Yes, CB is a position of need but I also see the success of this dfense starting with putting opposing QBs under duress. We need to get more pressure, which will automatically make the CB position better

It would be a huge mistake to not take advantage of a deep CB draft. I don't care if there is a run on them.

If they can't get an "instant starter" they can get by with what they have even if they take a 2nd or 3rd round pick at the position. They are not going to get the same caliber of pass rusher doing the same thing.

Want another waste like Demarcus Lawrence? Take a pass rusher on Day Two.

Gaede

Reaction score

Yeah, it seems like the team is high on him.

You never know at 28. We're basically in the second round, so a little reach isn't the worst thing

Alexander

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like the team is high on him.

You never know at 28. We're basically in the second round, so a little reach isn't the worst thing

No, a "little reach" in a draft like this is still a bad thing.

There is absolutely no reason for any team needing DB help to reach in this draft. It would be asinine.

I would get it if some team is desperate for an OT doing so. No excuse to reach for a corner.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be a huge mistake to not take advantage of a deep CB draft. I don't care if there is a run on them.

If they can't get an "instant starter" they can get by with what they have even if they take a 2nd or 3rd round pick at the position. They are not going to get the same caliber of pass rusher doing the same thing.

Want another waste like Demarcus Lawrence? Take a pass rusher on Day Two.

Exactly. Get the pass rusher first and you can still get the cornerback second. I don't think you can do it the other way. Not picking at #28 and 60.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I watch a lot of Clemson, fan of Tank, but he is not a 1st round corner...even at 28. Mid second round at earliest.

Still think it's Watt or Harris.

MrPhil

Reaction score
So, TJ Watt or CB (King, Conley, Awuzie) at #28.

Then, if you get Watt at 28, you get a CB like Tankersly, Moreau at 60.

If you take CB at 28 then you look at DE like Basham, Bowser or Rivers at 60.

I think I would be happy with either scenario.

Alexander

Reaction score
If you take CB at 28 then you look at DE like Basham, Bowser or Rivers at 60.

I think I would be happy with either scenario.

I don't think your scenario really works as it is not a definite any of the three pass rushers make it to 60.

On the other hand, it is very likely that a good CB like Tankersley, Fabian Moreau, Sidney Jones or Quincy Wilson make it to 60.

I would be very disappointed if we try to play that little game and end up having to force the pick of a DE that is outside of value parameters.

All in all, if I had to play the sheer numerical averages, you quite simply don't go corner in the first unless the value is there. Outside of Lattimore and Conley, you could have your pick of five to seven cornerbacks all clustered together in terms of value.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Exactly. Get the pass rusher first and you can still get the cornerback second. I don't think you can do it the other way. Not picking at #28 and 60.

There's a very good chance a quality corner will be available with our second-round pick. The quality of the DEs will drop off after around pick 40 IMO.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I don't think your scenario really works as it is not a definite any of the three pass rushers make it to 60.

On the other hand, it is very likely that a good CB like Tankersley, Fabian Moreau, Sidney Jones or Quincy Wilson make it to 60.

I would be very disappointed if we try to play that little game and end up having to force the pick of a DE that is outside of value parameters.

All in all, if I had to play the sheer numerical averages, you quite simply don't go corner in the first unless the value is there. Outside of Lattimore and Conley, you could have your pick of five to seven cornerbacks all clustered together in terms of value.

Completely agree about forcing picks. I guess I was just saying that, based on the rankings I am looking at, it could work out nicely for the Cowboys in the first two rounds with there being good players at positions of need (DE and CB).

I focused on Watt because he was specifically mentioned in the article but, I could easily see Harris, McKinley or Charlton being the DE at 28 as well.

As they say in military, no plan survives first contact with the enemy. That's what makes the draft must see TV for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT

Alexander

Reaction score
There's a very good chance a quality corner will be available with our second-round pick. The quality of the DEs will drop off after around pick 40 IMO.

You don't even have to say 40, you can say 50 for arguments sake. At 61 or later, you can kiss the likes of Harris, Burnett, Charleton, McKinley, Watt, Bowser, Willis and Lawson goodbye. Probably even Rivers and Basham as well.

Then you have to hope everyone else got it wrong and a decent one slipped through the cracks as the likes of Hall, Williams, Kpassagnon and Walker shouldn't excite you as a solution.

UncleOscar

Reaction score
Who is the " well placed source"? Sounds like fake news. Or deliberate disinfo from a Dallas "source".

Alexander

Reaction score
As they say in military, no plan survives first contact with the enemy. That's what makes the draft must see TV for me.

The "plan" should be reading the draft as it unfolds. See how it is unfolding. They could even bail out of the 28 spot and drop down the number of spots where they have players slotted.

If they "plan" for a DE to fall to 61 that is simply not using the law of averages in a smart way.

I know most people would see a CB pick in the first and just be satisfied they did something to address the "need" for bodies at the position. Not me.

Conversely, the same people would probably see a rusher picked at 28 and moan that it is not better than what we already have at the position. I can't see any of the top rushers in this draft possibly being any more mediocre than D. Lawrence or Mayowa.

Gaede

Reaction score
No, a "little reach" in a draft like this is still a bad thing.

There is absolutely no reason for any team needing DB help to reach in this draft. It would be asinine.

I would get it if some team is desperate for an OT doing so. No excuse to reach for a corner.

You're right. Good point.

I'll make an exception however if they totally and completely love the player.