Matthew Stafford is the QB I would go after

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Stafford is a better QB than Dak, but his body is breaking down on him, particularly his back. He probably could play another 3 years, but I don't see anything more than that.

He did suffer a back injury but he has fully recovered. Unlike Romo he sat out the rest of the year and there should be no lingering damage. Prior to last years injury he had played in 130 something straight games.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
ok read your post, and not bad, but what I quoted here is the key.
I am pretty sure BB would not give 2 firsts for any qb, so forget that.
Second brees wont retire, and even if he did, I doubt very much that they would part with 2 ist's for Dak.

Third I dont think any team would give 2 1st's for Dak, some might give a single 1st, but forget the 2 thing.
The 4th thing is Jones boys are not letting Dak go, and really are kinda stuck with him unless they let him walk.

I would rather have brady than any other vet, but I dont see jones boys doing that either. They are going
to stick with dak, unless Dak does something to make them mad.

They would be two late 1sts which is the equivalent of one mid 1st.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You’re trading a .500 QB for a losing quarterback, and that’s your upgrade?
Not only that but you are trading for someone who had arguably the best receiver of all time and that netted nothing. Hell even recently two years ago he had Golladay, Jones and Tate......one of the best receiving groups in the league and still nothing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Gotta love CZ...so go after a QB that has accomplished less than Dak but that has been paid 200 billion dollars in his career. You hate Dak for trying to get a franchise QB contract...but have no problem paying the poster-child of getting a bunch of money and not producing anything. This all made the more funny as Dak already has had multiple seasons better than Stafford.

Stop while you're ahead.

EDIT: And he is injured. Why not former MVP Cam Newton instead?
It’s a joke. Guys fall in love with a arm but not between the ears. Not only that but Stafford has shown he’s not very accurate so it’s interesting that people would want a guy who constantly throws at the ankles of his receivers.

Blake

Reaction score
Gotta love CZ...so go after a QB that has accomplished less than Dak but that has been paid 200 billion dollars in his career. You hate Dak for trying to get a franchise QB contract...but have no problem paying the poster-child of getting a bunch of money and not producing anything. This all made the more funny as Dak already has had multiple seasons better than Stafford.

Stop while you're ahead.

EDIT: And he is injured. Why not former MVP Cam Newton instead?

Are fans are disrespectful morons. Truthfully they deserve another 25 years of mediocrity for it.

phildadon86

Reaction score
He did suffer a back injury but he has fully recovered. Unlike Romo he sat out the rest of the year and there should be no lingering damage. Prior to last years injury he had played in 130 something straight games.
Romo did sit out the rest of the year after his back injury. And never played again after losing his spot to Dak

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ummmm no.
Think what you will about Staffords arm but he is just like Ryan and Cousins and Rivers....
I.e they will NEVER win anything. None of those guys can lock in and win consistently.
Cousins has had a stacked team the past two years and missed the playoffs once with zero excuses. Stafford is a tad better but will never win anything either.
At least with Dak I don’t yet know for a fact that he will never win anything....those other guys have been measured and found wanting...

If those guys have/had no chance to win, where do you think Dak stands? All 3 of them are better QBs than Dak.

csirl

Reaction score
I think this thread is showing up which posters are knowledgeable about QBs.

Firstly, I dont think the trade scenarios proposed are realistic - will never happen.

But the OP is correct about Stafford. He without any doubt a genuine "top 5" QB in terms of his talent. A huge upgrade on Dak and on most other teams' starters. Not his fault he's on an inept team. Dallas would win multiple SBs with him if the current roster is largely retained.

If there is any chance we'd get him on a trade, we should go for it. Would absolutely be worth trading our #17 pick and maybe a couple of lower picks.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Not a bad concept, he's a good QB that always gave us fits, just been stuck in Detroit. I also like the transition tag on Dak, which makes sense since no one on a Cowboys board can agree on his worth, let the market dictate it.

The problem is we probably won't get 2 1st round picks for Dak. If we did, it could almost be the equivalent of the Walker trade...us getting 2 first's for a 4th!

I wish I was hiking the Appalachian trail with no cell service...just pop out of the woods in May and see what happened...lol

Hadenough

Reaction score
Here are the reasons from every angle.

Why would Dallas do it?
Stafford has 3 years left on his contract.
Much better cap situation than what Dak will be.
Stafford is better than Dak and would crush in our offense
Just turned 32 and would easily fulfill his contract and maybe another few years.
Could end up gaining a 1st rd pick (will explain later)

Why would Det do it?
They are in place to get Tua if they choose
They are rebuilding
They could add an extra 1st rd pick. Maybe Tua and Fulton instead of Okuda
By trading Stafford and drafting Tua the staff buys some time to rebuild and likely can keep their jobs for a few years.

Why would Stafford go along with it?
He's a local kid and grew up a Cowboys fan
He has potential HOF numbers but likely wouldn't get in unless he gets a chance to win some big games.
Better talent around him.
He's getting older and our OL could prolong his career.
His kids get to be around the grandparents.
The best cancer treatment center in the country is in Tex(his wife has a brain tumor)

How would it go down?

Tag Dak with the non exclusive tag. New England or New Orleans(if Brees retires)or another team picking late decides he is worth giving up 2 1sts for him.

We trade the newly acquired 2020 1st rd pick to Det for Stafford. We still have pick 17 and gain an extra 2021 1st rd pick. We save cap space and gain a Qb built to win now. Reports are that he is fully recovered from injury and by sitting out the season he avoided any long term damage.
Not a bad idea at all the only flaw I see is that there is absolutley no team that would give up 2 first round picks for Dak. A 2nd round pick is all he would be worth. Stafford would be an instant upgrade to Dak because defense then couldnt just crowd the line of scrimmage and play the short pass along with the run. Stafford would back these defense up which would open up the running game.

shabazz

Reaction score
Losing QB? The poor guy has been stuck on one of the most poorly run franchises and has still kicked butt. I would love to see what he could do with this team.

Absolutely agree. This guy is a true gunslinger and would have turned at least 3 of those losses to wins this year. Patriots, Saints and Eagles game in which we scored 10 or less would have been won. oh no doubt.........

shabazz

Reaction score
It’s a joke. Guys fall in love with a arm but not between the ears. Not only that but Stafford has shown he’s not very accurate so it’s interesting that people would want a guy who constantly throws at the ankles of his receivers.

Between the ears? Stafford clearly has a higher developed football acumen than Dakota so I wont mention that Stafford scored a 38 on the Wonderlic while Dakota scored a whopping 25. Mo Claiborne says Wonderlic scores are meaningless at the QB position

ghst187

Reaction score
Stafford doesn't have this OL, Zeke or this receiving core and still has accomplished more than Dak. Jets, buff, no, ne games all would have been won last year with Stafford.

edit had you read the original post you would know better.

I do know better. Stafford is lame. He’s had some decent teams....he’s like cousins,...looks good sometimes for a game or two but will fold eventually.