Matthew Stafford is the QB I would go after

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
That’s the same excuse the Romo lovers used for why he didn’t have success. For 7 years Stafford was throwing to one of the greatest wide receivers of all time Calvin Johnson. Dak has a career winning record and Stafford doesn’t. Dak has a playoff win and Stafford doesn’t. Dak ranks 4th in career passer rating and one of the latest polls has his odds at #5 of winning league MVP next season.

For 7 years Stafford was throwing to one of the greatest wide receivers of all time Calvin Johnson

True and he threw for over 5000 yards in a season and became the fastest to 40k in a career in NFL history.

With no Zeke, No Tron, No Martin, No Fred etc.

easy Q.
Which of these games would Stafford have failed to win last year if he were in Daks position ?
Jets, Buff, N.E., N.O. Philly?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Replace Dak with Stafford and he adds 5 wins last year. Jets, Buff, N.E. N.O. and Philly.

Yeah right! Lol Stafford has been part of 7 losing seasons in his 11 years with the Lions. In the 8 games he played last season he had a losing record. He has a career losing record. If he’s made available it’s because the Lions have given up on him. They’ve won nothing with him!

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Yeah right! Lol Stafford has been part of 7 losing seasons in his 11 years with the Lions. In the 8 games he played last season he had a losing record. He has a career losing record. If he’s made available it’s because the Lions have given up on him. They’ve won nothing with him!

"8 games he played last season he had a losing record"

While leading the league with a 106 passer rating on a talentless roster.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
For 7 years Stafford was throwing to one of the greatest wide receivers of all time Calvin Johnson

True and he threw for over 5000 yards in a season and became the fastest to 40k in a career in NFL history.

With no Zeke, No Tron, No Martin, No Fred etc.

easy Q.
Which of these games would Stafford have failed to win last year if he were in Daks position ?
Jets, Buff, N.E., N.O. Philly?

All Stafford has done his entire career is put up numbers but he doesn’t win. We would’ve lost the same games with him and probably more because he’s not a winner. The Cowboys weren’t much better than the Lions were last year. We barely beat Detroit who was playing with a backup. Romo only won two playoff games and one of them was against Stafford.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
While leading the league with a 106 passer rating on a talentless roster.

He has a career passer rating of 89.3. Our roster isn’t anything special, it’s overrated. Nothing but a bunch of uninspired underachievers.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
All Stafford has done his entire career is put up numbers but he doesn’t win. We would’ve lost the same games with him and probably more because he’s not a winner. The Cowboys weren’t much better than the Lions were last year. We barely beat Detroit who was playing with a backup. Romo only won two playoff games and one of them was against Stafford.
And Stafford was bad in the 2nd half against the Cowboys in 2014. Detroit could only score 3 points in the 2nd half. Dude threw an interception to start the half off, threw the ball well short of Pettigrew on the pass interference controversy (that ball should have been well out in front and might have been a TD), and he fumbled TWICE on back to back plays end the Lions season.

Dak gets killed for a half like that but now Stafford is coveted as a replacement? Amazing.

kskboys

Reaction score
Matt Stafford = Drew Bledsoe. Great arm, not too bad of a QB, but completely lacking in instincts.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And Stafford was bad in the 2nd half against the Cowboys in 2014. Detroit could only score 3 points in the 2nd half. Dude threw an interception to start the half off, threw the ball well short of Pettigrew on the pass interference controversy (that ball should have been well out in front and might have been a TD), and he fumbled TWICE on back to back plays end the Lions season.

Dak gets killed for a half like that but now Stafford is coveted as a replacement? Amazing.

I’ve lost track of how many QBs have been brought up to replace Dak who’ve won nothing. It’s obvious the fans who are lobbying for Matt Stafford are fixated on his career passing numbers and not his career losing record or his 0-3 playoff record.

CWR

Reaction score
I always thought Stafford was a good qb on a lot of bad teams. He could do well here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
cowboyszone criticized Dak his first few seasons as being an unproductive bus driver. After producing almost 5000 yards in 2019 with 30 TDs fans are now complaining they were garbage yards. Stafford is the king of garbage yards, playing from behind as often as he has. Don’t put it all on the teams he’s played for he’s been part of the problem.

Flamma

Reaction score
Why? Stafford led the Lions to the playoffs only three times in 11 seasons and has a 0-3 playoff record. Dak has played in as many playoff games as Stafford and has a better playoff record. Stafford is a good QB but all he really does is put up numbers, he’s a stat guy. He doesn’t consistently win and he’s coming off an injury. He has a 69-79-1 career record. He’s lost more games than he’s won and has a career passer rating of 89.3.

I don't believe him to be elite by any measure. But he's had a garbage team 80% of the time he was with the Lions, so that 89.3 doesn't mean much to me since all QBs don't play under the same conditions. Who knows, maybe under this new coach and system Dak will look a lot better, but we just don't know. All I know is that Dallas isn't even paying the QB position and they can't make the playoffs. Now with all of these contracts coming up along with the QB position, are they going to just magically be better by paying the current QB? At least I know what I would have with Stafford. I don't really know what we currently have with Dak.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't believe him to be elite by any measure. But he's had a garbage team 80% of the time he was with the Lions, so that 89.3 doesn't mean much to me since all QBs don't play under the same conditions. Who knows, maybe under this new coach and system Dak will look a lot better, but we just don't know. All I know is that Dallas isn't even paying the QB position and they can't make the playoffs. Now with all of these contracts coming up along with the QB position, are they going to just magically be better by paying the current QB? At least I know what I would have with Stafford. I don't really know what we currently have with Dak.
Anyway, he's been in the league 11 years. His time adjusted QB rating would be 96 or so, with mostly no RB support or offensive line play for most of his career.
This year his rating was 106, for example. And over the last 5 years it's about 97 or so.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

He’s had some bad teams but he hasn’t elevated them. They continue to be bad! He puts up numbers but the Lions keep spinning their wheels year after year with him, which is why there’s talk about him being available. Bottom line he’s not a winner, look at his career record and playoff record. No way would I replace a young improving QB who hasn’t reached their ceiling with Matthew Stafford who doesn’t even have a single playoff win. Apparently some here want the Cowboys to be the Detroit Lions. Check out their record the past 11 years with Stafford.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Anyway, he's been in the league 11 years. His time adjusted QB rating would be 96 or so, with mostly no RB support or offensive line play for most of his career.
This year his rating was 106, for example. And over the last 5 years it's about 97 or so.

So he's had street walkons playing OL for most of his career? Cool.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He’s had some bad teams but he hasn’t elevated them. They continue to be bad! He puts up numbers but the Lions keep spinning their wheels year after year with him, which is why there’s talk about him being available. Bottom line he’s not a winner, look at his career record and playoff record. No way would I replace a young improving QB who hasn’t reached their ceiling with Matthew Stafford who doesn’t even have a single playoff win. Apparently, some here want the Cowboys to be the Detroit Lions. Check out their record the past 11 years with Stafford.
I'm not for getting Stafford, and I think Dak is and will be our guy
But you're probably one of the very worst posters regarding not getting that it' a TEAM game. You were that way with Romo to.

Agree to disagree on Stafford not having a better QB record--if thats even real thing---if he had played for Dallas the last few years.
Adios