Maui Disaster

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I know there is a huge Cowboys fanbase in Hawaii. I lived there and travelled the islands and saw it myself. People think of places like Texas as a great football state because of high school tradition, but I would put Hawaii as a Top 5 Football State too. Serious fans there, and what's great, is all teams are represented but seems West Coast Teams and Cowboys were definitely the popular ones. I think everyone I've read from there that posts here said they lived in Oahu or Big Island? Not sure if we have any Maui members? But hoping all of you and families are okay. Death toll last I read was 36. That is one nasty fire.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Mother Nature has sucked this year. Pulling for the folks in Maui. I've got quite a few clients there and they're all such good family oriented people. Seems like every one of them has Mom, Dad, or Grandma living in the back room or helping take care of siblings. Island states just aren't equipped with resources to deal with fire like that and especially with the winds they've had. It's weird to see a tropical zone burn like this, but then it's mainly nonnative grasses that are causing it.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Full Maui Press Conference with local, state, county, and Federal Officials.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This makes me really sad because I used to live in Hawaii. I wasn't on Maui. I was on the Island of Oahu, but I visited Lahaina in Maui. It was a beautiful and wonderful place. I had a great time, and people were really nice. I'm super sad for the people there now. I hear they had to actually go out in the ocean to escape the fire and were picked up by the Coast Guard. My God, that's awful. I'll be praying for the people of Maui.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This makes me really sad because I used to live in Hawaii. I wasn't on Maui. I was on the Island of Oahu, but I visited Lahaina in Maui. It was a beautiful and wonderful place. I had a great time, and people were really nice. I'm super sad for the people there now. I hear they had to actually go out in the ocean to escape the fire and were picked up by the Coast Guard. My God, that's awful. I'll be praying for the people of Maui.
Actually the Coast Guard’s boat was too big to get in close to shore so private boats rescued many of them.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know there is a huge Cowboys fanbase in Hawaii. I lived there and travelled the islands and saw it myself. People think of places like Texas as a great football state because of high school tradition, but I would put Hawaii as a Top 5 Football State too. Serious fans there, and what's great, is all teams are represented but seems West Coast Teams and Cowboys were definitely the popular ones. I think everyone I've read from there that posts here said they lived in Oahu or Big Island? Not sure if we have any Maui members? But hoping all of you and families are okay. Death toll last I read was 36. That is one nasty fire.

It's horrible to hear. I've had the pleasure of being in Lahaina a few times. Wonderful people there. One of the best burger places, Cool Cat, is gone. Absolute tragic what happened.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Mick Fleetwood's place

53109377382_c5b8d9ebd2_o.jpg

triplets_93

Reaction score
Lahaina fires update 9 p.m. HST

https://www.mauicounty.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?aid=12682

The number of fatalities is at 80.

Firefighters continue working to extinguish flare-ups and contain fires in Lahaina, Pulehu/Kihei and Upcountry Maui.

A Ka’anapali fire reported above Puukolii at 6:10 p.m. Friday was reported to be 100 percent contained before 8:30 p.m. The fire is in the area where a county fueling station was positioned Friday to distribute an estimated 3,000 gallons of gas and 500 gallons of diesel for an estimated 400 vehicles that were lined up before the operation began. No fuel will be distributed Saturday.

Police are restricting access into West Maui through both Ma’alaea and Waihe’e. Honoapiilani Highway is open for vehicles leaving Lahaina. The burned historic Lahaina town area remains barricaded, with people warned to stay out of the area due to hazards including toxic particles from smoldering areas. Wearing a mask and gloves is advised.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The more I read about it as news comes out, the worse it sounds.

One story made it sound like the Titanic. Waiting in the hotel with the cello band as the ship goes down and the fire approaches with no escape route available.

Been to a few islands, and they are all big on keeping invasive species and plant life out. Hawaii is tighter on it than other Pacific Islands I’ve visited. Even freaking California checks it at the highway crossings.

So surprised to hear that Maui is 1/3 non-native vegetation. They are blaming a lot on that. Species that dried up and never were meant to be there.