Twitter: Maurice Smith is confident players will approve CBA

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
Everyone needs to remember one thing. Even if game 17 pay is capped at $250,000...84% of all players WILL BE fully compensated for that game when compared to their other 16 game checks. The big name and wealthy players want to fight it out and are willing to sit. But the average career is less than 4 years. Most players will not give up 25% of their earning power so already wealthy players can become more wealthy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I think some can lose focus on is the job of the union. They're not there to fight with management but to try and come to an agreement that doesn't cost any of their members any paychecks. Some of those players can ill afford to miss game checks. Many are not partying on the money, they're trying to support families.

And don't think a little in your face to guys making all the top money on the team. They may be teammates on the field but they're still human and the kind of money thrown around to the few can surely cause the many to resent it. They're always in the players' corner when he's going for the gold outwardly but inside where they live? Think there isn't some resentment for Elliott? Think there won't be for Prescott and Cooper? Think every mistake made on the field by a high roller isn't magnified?

Aaron Rodgers talks about the men in the locker room when he said he didn't like it. I wonder what those men thought when he and his girlfriend bought a 25M Malibu beach house a couple of months ago? Yep, Rodgers, all for the common man.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Requiring only a simple majority vote, I believe it passes pretty easily. I just don't know how this affects the Dak negotiations. When will the NFL announce the new CAP level?

blueblood70

Reaction score
The players who make close to, or more than $1 milion a game are pissed
because the CBA caps the 17th game at 250k, I believe, for players currently
under contract for 2021.

I think that's what I read shortly after JJ Watt's "Hard no" tweet.
it has to do with new TV contacts not yet negotiated that will be approved for 2021/2022 I believe so at that time the MORE money will fully kick in, as of now the owners trying to push it though at a discount to start 17 games NOW..so if approved yeas they are shorted the first full year or so but then get big$$ once new TV deals which some might be some crazy streaming media getting some games..

big changes coming...

they say even if its less eyes for some games like now I dont have NFL network dont get the extra games so with some big names in the streaming biz might bid ridiculous numbers to grab some games and if you dont use that service, you miss those games..

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The challenge is getting it in front of rank and file players.
The executive committee and players reps for each team are far harder to please than rank and file.
Most players are still looking ahead at big pay days and want no delays in checks or service time.

Upticks in share of revenue plus additional health benefits after retirement were big wins for players.

Owners got expanded schedule as they always would and gave up only a few incentives.
It's a good deal all-around because football players have such short shelf lives they can't really miss pay checks bargaining.
It'd help those who come after but few players are set like that to do so.
I mean ask yourselves could you go a quarter of your year without a pay check to negotiate slightly better terms.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Are you sure about the 2/3 vote? I thought I read somewhere it was a simple majority vote?

Correct. That 2/3rds vote was replaced by requiring a simple majority vote to ratify the new CBA.

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The players who make close to, or more than $1 milion a game are pissed
because the CBA caps the 17th game at 250k, I believe, for players currently
under contract for 2021.

I think that's what I read shortly after JJ Watt's "Hard no" tweet.
Heard they changed that provision on the 250K 17th game ?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been saying all along it will pass. The new CBA is an instant improvement for the vast majority of the players the second passes. At least what, 75%? 80%? More? With just a simple majority vote needed it shouldn't even be a close vote.