Mavs 24

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What's the difference between Lively vs Gafford ?

Lively seems more athletic and rangy,.. can cover more ground and stretch out as far as the perimeter ?

Would it be accurate to say Gafford seems like the more accomplished shot blocker, more physical and bigger than Lively ?
More game experienced so he could offer the comp vs Joker, or a Gobert ?

Both Combined and overall , it seems like we've done a very solid job vs Holgrem thus far.
Difference is experience. It means alot when you are talking about a rim protecting center. Like my comparison in the last post, Timelord started out as a guy who basically dropped to the rim. After two years he was a player that could switch on to everyone on the court. Thats what you want out of a 5 that is playing 30 minutes a game.

Another thing with rim protectors is that blocks doesnt nessasily mean good defense. Myles Turner used to put up DMVP block numbers, but in reality he was a very poor defender

quickccc

Reaction score
That is very unlikely.
DEN would and should be favored in the thin air, but no one in the West will have an easy time with Dallas.
This team is 18-2 over the last 20 (accepting last night's give up after they were locked into 5th and set the whole team in the 2nd half.)
And has the 2nd best record over the last 30; 22-8.
And the record is BECAUSE they have been playing playoff style basketball.
They are killing people on the boards and in the paint. The PJ/DJJ wing combo backed by shot blockers has made them insanely good on defense whereas they were flat awful last year.
No one wants to face this Mavs team as all the national shows are now mentioning.
The trade deadline and health transformed this team.

I do think the East will win the Finals because the East is mega trash outside the very top teams and will likely be very rested compared to the West. A Dallas team that made the finals would quite possibly be food because they would be worn down to a nub.
All depends upon how healthy a Luka we can get.

And if we can get some kinda " consistent " 3rd Weapon to help aid Luka/Irving.

Denver will have to depend upon health of Murray, but their bench is lacking.
I think the jump lobs and offensive put backs will keep Joker occupied to an extent.

I'm more concerned about Minnesota than I am Denver or Boston (without Unicorn)
But so long as Luka and Kye are healthy, ..our bigs are healthy, i'll take my chances vs any NBA team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
All depends upon how healthy a Luka we can get.

And if we can get some kinda " consistent " 3rd Weapon to help aid Luka/Irving.

Denver will have to depend upon health of Murray, but their bench is lacking.
I think the jump lobs and offensive put backs will keep Joker occupied to an extent.

I'm more concerned about Minnesota than I am Denver or Boston (without Unicorn)
But so long as Luka and Kye are healthy, ..our bigs are healthy, i'll take my chances vs any NBA team.
Dallas has definitely found something, but they are also working really hard and getting beaten up.
Luka isn't going to be 100% this playoff and anything beyond this series would be playing with house money and being greedy, lol.

I don't love either DEN/MIN matchup for DAL. DEN is tested and has the best player in the world.
Minny is the biggest team in the league; most built to counter the current Dallas offense.
But neither series would be easy IMO.
Perhaps DEN or MIN in 6 but possibly 7.
I'd prefer DAL face MIN than DEN.

In the East BOS is walking through series unscathed and with plenty of rest because the East was substantially worse as a conference.
It'd be a colossal upset if they don't win it all at this point.

Jayinem

Reaction score
If Mavs can finish the series with OKC, I wouldn't predict a series win over Denver but to me Boston seems very similar to OKC as they depend on the 3 point shot very heavily. I also am not a believer in Porzingis because I saw him let down the Mavs in 2021 or he could get injured again like 2020, or like always. I would give us a good chance to win that series if Luka was at least the Luka we saw last night. But again, Denver would be there first, assuming they beat Minnesota. Minnesota I would like our chances more than Denver. I think they're too dependent on one guy to score.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If Mavs can finish the series with OKC, I wouldn't predict a series win over Denver but to me Boston seems very similar to OKC as they depend on the 3 point shot very heavily. I also am not a believer in Porzingis because I saw him let down the Mavs in 2021 or he could get injured again like 2020, or like always. I would give us a good chance to win that series if Luka was at least the Luka we saw last night. But again, Denver would be there first, assuming they beat Minnesota. Minnesota I would like our chances more than Denver. I think they're too dependent on one guy to score.
Ant had his worst game of the season and they haymakered Denver anyway. Will be an interesting series

Jayinem

Reaction score
Ant had his worst game of the season and they haymakered Denver anyway. Will be an interesting series
Different teams different match ups. I think Gobert will be rendered pretty useless against Mavs he may stop a few lobs but Luka can shoot Kyrie can shoot PJ can shoot DJJ can shoot. He can guard the paint he can't stop shooting.

Ant will get his, but Luka and Kyrie will get theirs. PJ and DJJ again will be the x-factor along with KAT for them and Naz Reid.

Probably won't be beautiful offense from either but this will be the third series in a row it's been that way for Dallas. Ugly offenses with good defenses. The two best in the NBA IMO. I'm just glad they don't have a Lu Dort out there playing football like OKC did.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
2nd round is probably their ceiling. Maybe they could be OKC in a 7 games series, but I dont see them getting past Minnesota or Denver. LAC in the first round will be a dog fight for them
Missed the mark here. And Im gonna back pedal a bit. I cant guess at all who is going to win this series. Minnesota looks like a well oiled machine one game and a pushover the next

As an opposing fan, this is when Kyrie scares. Kyrie is a know killer. He is clutch, and he is at his best closing games out

quickccc

Reaction score
MAVS vs MINNY

- Ant will be unstoppable just like SGA .. he is gonna get his .. but a key is try to make him as one dimensional
as possible keep him outside and not driving into the interior lanes (good luck with dat)

- If Conley is on his game - that makes it that much tougher,, if Conely is off his game or he's physically hurt and limited -
and Ant is also off his game somehow, that seems to make Minny struggle offensively some.

- Minny is not only big, but they have skilled big men, ..like Mavs they are keen with the alley oop lobs for easy dunks.

- Conely near is in Luka's league as a scorer and passer- but i'm very concerned about a limited health Luka- and Kyrie
(if he is on his game) is capable of making Ant work at the other end, but i dunno what Kyrie shows up (only 14 avg. vs Thundet)

- Minny are an elite defensive team .. but so are the Mavs, imo. Denver doesn't have the superior shot blocking, rim protectors we have
in Lively & Gafford - that should help vs Towns & Gobert - Reid

- Denver does not have the defensive team that we have - that should help as well.

- this team has been really scrappy, die hard, resilient fighters and clawers- they don't get down/stay down after a loss - that should help.
Although don't be surprised if we actually get blown out in a loss the opener ,,..that seems to be an alarming trend per playoff series
But we always seem to regroup and comeback even stronger,
- If we get a closer and producer outta PJ Washington or Jones as that critical key 3rd scorer - that would be an enormous luxury.
Only it's still been sporadic, very spotty and inconsistent. I dont have any faith in Hardaway, Green or Xam.
Green is easily the better defender of the three - but as a needy spot scorer, he is still struggling mode.

LET'S GO MAAAVS

29e1b96a0588647968d657051161f628.jpg

T-RO

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the plus-minus when Gafford is in the game versus Lively?

In every OKC game I tracked it was night-and-day difference. Lively minutes help the Mavs win, Gafford minutes drag the team down. Again: night and day difference in that series. Don't know if this will play out the same versus TW's, as they have more muscular inside players. Curious to see.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

In every OKC game I tracked it was night-and-day difference. Lively minutes help the Mavs win, Gafford minutes drag the team down. Again: night and day difference in that series. Don't know if this will play out the same versus TW's, as they have more muscular inside players. Curious to see.
Not sure, but raw plus/minus isnt a good indicator. There are more advanced plus/minus stats that are pretty good. Hollinger might have some

quickccc

Reaction score

i thought it was more coincidence in the shooters and rotation with Gafford in vs the ones with Liverly.
To my Visine eyes, it just seems like Lively is more athletic and rangy than the more game experienced and older Gafford. he can defend farther out to the perimeter, and run the floor from one end to another, better than Gafford.

Just as it seems that Gafford will come up with more splashy blocks than Lively, even if he is shorter than Derek L.
and the vet Gafford is thicker and stronger than the youthful Lively. . .

671aacc66b7cadcd4b7c48f3c92942e5.jpg

T-RO

Reaction score
Happened again tonight:
Gafford was net -15 while on the court
Lively was +19

We don't get it done without both centers, but Lively is the one keeping us alive.

quickccc

Reaction score
MAVS vs MINNY

s.

- Conely near is in Luka's league as a scorer and passer- but i'm very concerned about a limited health Luka- and Kyrie
(if he is on his game) is capable of making Ant work at the other end, but i dunno what Kyrie shows up (only 14 avg. vs Thundet)

LET'S GO MAAAVS

29e1b96a0588647968d657051161f628.jpg
ooops. . i meant to say Conley is NOT in Luka's league as scorer and passer .. typo error.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I posted this in another thread, but thought I would post it here as well.

The Mavs have a lot in common with the 2011 championship team.

Master ball handler (Kyrie vs Kidd)
SuperHuman European (Doncic vs Nowitzki)
Excellent Bigmen (Gafford/Lively vs Chandler)
Nice Role players (Jones etc vs Terry etc)

In fact…..I might take this 2024 team over the 2011 club.

reddyuta

Reaction score

2011 team also had to beat teams which were considered much better than Mavs at that time.

quickccc

Reaction score

I do know it's becoming obvious that Kidd seems to want rookie Lively over more game experience vet Gafford .n those closing decisive moments of the game.

And i think it's about Derrick being more athletic and rangy and he is a better passer than Gaff.
For a rookie, He's not overwhelmingly confused and rattled in these critical closing deciding moments

But man... is it such a tremendous luxury that both specialized in the jump lob dunks that these opponents simply cannot stop.
not even the repeated league DPOY in Gobert ..

And then add the all so key rim protection blocks and altered shots, rebounds on both sides of the floor, single up defense
and kick out to open jumpers. .. it's been HUGE in this NBA title run

quickccc

Reaction score

2011 roster seem to have had much better depth than we do though. ala JJ Barea ,etc.

i cannot wait to upgrade the depth over Hardaway and Exam ... they've been so useless.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Happened again tonight:
Gafford was net -15 while on the court
Lively was +19

We don't get it done without both centers, but Lively is the one keeping us alive.
Tonight……Gafford said “whats up!!”