Mavs 24

Jayinem

Reaction score
I will be say beware of Kyrie shooting Dallas out of games, particularly in Boston. One thing that has been an achilles heal for him most of his career is its been easy to get under his skin. And Boston fans are going to brutal to him
Yeah that could be a factor, we'll just see what happens.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A sprain neck usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to heal according to google. That would put him out even for the Finals. That was going to be an advantage we had over Boston size rebounding rim protection. Gafford can do some of it but not as good as Lively, and he can't do it for 48 minutes. Dwight Powell sucks.

If Porzingis plays and plays well, this would probably tip the championship to Boston. You might could argue that Luka & Kyrie > Tatum Brown by a small amount, but then they got Holiday, White, Porzingis better than Washington, DJJ, Gafford.

But then again, I didn't think Mavs were even going to be here because Luka has been injured the entire playoffs. Can't count him and Kyrie out completely.
He practiced today.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I will be say beware of Kyrie shooting Dallas out of games, particularly in Boston. One thing that has been an achilles heal for him most of his career is its been easy to get under his skin. And Boston fans are going to brutal to him
Not going to happen with Luka on the floor.
Kyrie has been so mature and mentally locked in for Dallas but Luka also can call for the ball at anytime.

Plus reality is, Celts fan are probably going to learn to hate Luka more than Kyrie by game 2.

Courtside fan heckled Kyrie in an earlier series and it did bother him. Luka went and stood by the guy talking trash every trip down. He quickly forgot about Kyrie, lol.
Luka just told entire Minny fan base to go the H home. He is not shy at all about picking fights and he loves it when fans are on him because he knows they don't have the ball.

This one should be a real haymaker.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He didn't

He went through the walk-through portion. He was there with the team.

He was cleared for neck injury and didn't get placed into concussion protocol.

He will likely sit game 4 because they are up 3-0 but he isn't out longer term.
Finals would start about 9 days out and he should be fine by then.
But game 4? Maxi will be the back up 4.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I know on paper it might seem that way but I would be shocked if he had even a good series

-out since April 29th
-no history of good playoff basketball what so ever, choked in Dallas
-playing his former team Dallas
-pressure of helping Celtics win a championship in the Finals

He was bad in 2 of the 4 games in the first round even. Now if he only needs to score 12 for Celitcs to win, he can probably do that. But 20 per game which is what he always averages in the regular season? I do not believe he can do that. I think it might all depend on how well Derrick White plays offensively. If he comes up big, Porzingis probably won't need to do a whole lot. But they can't always count on that. Tatum and Brown will get theirs but so will Luka and Kyrie, probably more so than Tatum/Brown. Then you got lobs to Lively/Gafford (assuming health on Lively's part). Mavs will also need PJ Washington and Derrick Jones Jr. to contribute.

I don't do predictions I'm not sitting here saying Mavs have it in the bag. But this won't be the cakewalk a lot of Celtics fans think, and they might not even come out on top. I think it could really go either way. I just wonder if Celtics have enough size if Porzingis is getting most of the minutes, or will they split time with him and Horford. It's going to be a very interesting series.

If Lively is not healthy though, I'd probably assume Boston will win. Rebounding and rim protection is so important for Dallas.
KP does not hit the ground running generally when returning from injury.
BUT there is a large gap before the Finals would begin and he would have ample time to practice with the team.

And in previous returns it took a couple games then a practice day or two to get going again.

I want everyone at full strength.
Let's see the best vs the best and get it on.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BUT there is a large gap before the Finals would begin and he would have ample time to practice with the team.

And in previous returns it took a couple games then a practice day or two to get going again.

Porzingis has practicing some, just not ready to go full on. If it was 2-1 today he would probably play. There has been talk that they might play him game 4 anyways, but it looks like they are going to sit him. Indiana probably is without Haliburton, and they had an outlier game game 3 and still lost. They probably dont see the need to risk aggravation

Jayinem

Reaction score

I'm not predicting KP won't be healthy, I'm predicting he will choke, because I've seen it before. Cost us the series at home we were up 3-2 we should have been able to close it out.

LLcamtY.png

But also rust, playing in the Finals, and playing against the Mavs will play a factor. I'd be shocked if he was near 20 ppg with good percentages. If I'm wrong Boston will most likely win the series, they might even if he's not good. I definitely think that Horford is a better fit against Dallas and it'll be interesting to see how all that is handled with a 2nd year coach.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
First post in this area. I stay quiet, but honestly this team looks formidable.

Chance and skill make up a lot of pro sports. How do you feel about our Mavs?

Still have a key player returning
Yeah great team but I think its Boston's time this year. Celtics are very deep and talented. About to sweep the Pacers.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm not predicting KP won't be healthy, I'm predicting he will choke, because I've seen it before. Cost us the series at home we were up 3-2 we should have been able to close it out.

LLcamtY.png

But also rust, playing in the Finals, and playing against the Mavs will play a factor. I'd be shocked if he was near 20 ppg with good percentages. If I'm wrong Boston will most likely win the series, they might even if he's not good. I definitely think that Horford is a better fit against Dallas and it'll be interesting to see how all that is handled with a 2nd year coach.
Boston is just too deep and talented everywhere. Mavs will give them hell but Boston will win the Finals.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Not going to happen with Luka on the floor.
Kyrie has been so mature and mentally locked in for Dallas but Luka also can call for the ball at anytime.

Plus reality is, Celts fan are probably going to learn to hate Luka more than Kyrie by game 2.

Courtside fan heckled Kyrie in an earlier series and it did bother him. Luka went and stood by the guy talking trash every trip down. He quickly forgot about Kyrie, lol.
Luka just told entire Minny fan base to go the H home. He is not shy at all about picking fights and he loves it when fans are on him because he knows they don't have the ball.

This one should be a real haymaker.
Mavs are white hot ,but so are the Celts.In the end, Boston will be too much.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Boston is just too deep and talented everywhere. Mavs will give them hell but Boston will win the Finals.
I keep hearing this but people act like they have 12 great players or something.

Luka and Kyrie can match up with Tatum and Brown for sure
Then they have Holiday who's averaging 12 ppg in the playoffs and playing great defense, PJ Washington is 13 ppg with great defense
Derrick White another great defender, but so is Derrick Jones Jr., the one advantage I would give Boston which is why I said he could be the X-factor is these two on offense. White is 15 ppg while DJJ is only 8.
I'm predicting Porzingis to be a wash with the two Dallas bigs about 12 ppg each, if Porzingis is great and I'm wrong and he scores 20 ppg Boston will probably win. I don't see it happening.

So I have one Celtic clearly outplaying a Mav, who else you got that's so great? Both teams have great started lineups and not much from the bench. Maybe 38 year old Al Horford. Then they have Pritchard averaging 7 ppg off the bench, we have Josh Green with 5 also Jaden Hardy is showing a little something. We also should have Maxi back.

Overall I give Celtics a small advantage on paper, if everything goes great for them. But games aren't played on paper. It might be their series, but I wouldn't say they're playing another sport than the Mavs like some people act.

Porzingis could be a complete no show we really don't know yet. Just penciling him in for 20 ppg is a mistake though that many Boston fans are making. He has no good playoff history he's not Dirk.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

LLcamtY.png

Porzingis's defense is ahead of where it was in Dallas. In Boston, he has been an outstanding switch defender, whereas he was a liability in Dallas

Jayinem

Reaction score
Porzingis's defense is ahead of where it was in Dallas. In Boston, he has been an outstanding switch defender, whereas he was a liability in Dallas
He can't stop our bigs from getting lobs and he won't be able to rim protect against Luka or Kyrie. He'll be like Chet was for OKC. You'll need Horford but then you either have to play both or split time between them. If you play both one of Holiday or White sits.

Also if he's not scoring he becomes almost like Rudy Gobert is for the Wolves, a liability.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I keep hearing this but people act like they have 12 great players or something.

Luka and Kyrie can match up with Tatum and Brown for sure
Then they have Holiday who's averaging 12 ppg in the playoffs and playing great defense, PJ Washington is 13 ppg with great defense
Derrick White another great defender, but so is Derrick Jones Jr., the one advantage I would give Boston which is why I said he could be the X-factor is these two on offense. White is 15 ppg while DJJ is only 8.
I'm predicting Porzingis to be a wash with the two Dallas bigs about 12 ppg each, if Porzingis is great and I'm wrong and he scores 20 ppg Boston will probably win. I don't see it happening.

So I have one Celtic clearly outplaying a Mav, who else you got that's so great? Both teams have great started lineups and not much from the bench. Maybe 38 year old Al Horford. Then they have Pritchard averaging 7 ppg off the bench, we have Josh Green with 5 also Jaden Hardy is showing a little something. We also should have Maxi back.

Overall I give Celtics a small advantage on paper, if everything goes great for them. But games aren't played on paper. It might be their series, but I wouldn't say they're playing another sport than the Mavs like some people act.

Porzingis could be a complete no show we really don't know yet. Just penciling him in for 20 ppg is a mistake though that many Boston fans are making. He has no good playoff history he's not Dirk.
I think you are underestimating Boston here. It was an accident they won 65 games, and have been at least to the conference finals 5 of the last 7 years, including the last 3. Their entire roster is 2 way players, and they finished 1 and 2 in offensive and defensive rating this year. Dallas can win, but its going to take alot. Probably more than it did in 2011

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He can't stop our bigs from getting lobs and he won't be able to rim protect against Luka or Kyrie. He'll be like Chet was for OKC. You'll need Horford but then you either have to play both or split time between them. If you play both one of Holiday or White sits.
Porzingis is a strong rim protector. I think you are mistaking Dallas Porzingis for Boston Porzingis

Rim runners definitely arent dictating any lineups for us

Jayinem

Reaction score
Porzingis is a strong rim protector. I think you are mistaking Dallas Porzingis for Boston Porzingis
Same guy, you'll see. Just older with more injuries.

Chet was also a strong rim protector who had many blocks but still overall got cooked.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Same guy, you'll see. Just older with more injuries.
Then you watched him at all this year. Wasnt even the same guy last year in Washington. I think you are just getting stuck on his Dallas stint and pigeonholing him as an immobile big who could be attacked on the P&R. Thats not who he has been since he got his strength back in his knee

Jayinem

Reaction score
That's probably a factor in why Porzingis stays hurt and I predict Chet will get injuries. Asking skinny tall guys to rim protect and give you 20 ppg it's too much to ask of them. It's very physically demanding to rim protect.