Maybe Dak needed to anticipate that Steele was struggling and show some urgency in that pocket late

BKBDAD

Reaction score
How about sliding a back or TE over to help because yes, Steele was awful! BUT, again Dak has to know the situation and avoid the sack at all cost! His pocket presence at times is terrible and if he can’t throw to the main target on a drop back, good luck finding someone else downfield.

BKBDAD

Reaction score
This pic is less than 2 seconds from the snap. Dak already has a player on his left leg and another defender about to take his head off. He was trying to get out of the pocket but with Terrance TurnSteele as his RT, he had no chance.

NAn845QY_o.png
Great point but how many times did it look like Hurts was dead to rights and he makes a little move in the pocket and avoided the sack? The days of a QB not being mobile are pretty much over and although it may sting a bit this offseason, the Jones’ need to cut bait and let Dak go!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
What's the one thing he could not do late in the game? Take a sack. And he took THREE in critical situations.

Happens once...blame Steele.

Twice...okay, Steele again.

But that last sack? Dak if you were surprised at that Eagles defensive formation on first and goal, with Steele getting no help (let's talk about that btw)...then that's on you bro.
Yes. On the fly, Dak needs to recognize he can't trust his RT. What the hell sort of message does that send to his teammates? Yeah. The QB is calling something different because the RT is playing poorly.

Not how team sports work, bro. If you don't trust in your teammates, the whole gig is up

Zman5

Reaction score
Great point but how many times did it look like Hurts was dead to rights and he makes a little move in the pocket and avoided the sack? The days of a QB not being mobile are pretty much over and although it may sting a bit this offseason, the Jones’ need to cut bait and let Dak go!
Let Dak have Lane Johnson as his RT and let Hurts play with Terrance TurnSteele. Let's see what happens then.
Hurts has the best OL in the NFL. And one of the best receiving duos in the NFL.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Sorry but this is on the coaching staff had all game to make adjustments and certainly enough incidents to see it wasn't getting any better.
We had two drives to score and in the first drive had a whole lot of time to kill and no running game to do it that's why we lost this game we don't have a finisher and it's exactly why we should have gotten Derrick Henry at the end of the trade deadline because a guy like him finishes off games like this.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
What's the one thing he could not do late in the game? Take a sack. And he took THREE in critical situations.

But that last sack? Dak if you were surprised at that Eagles defensive formation on first and goal, with Steele getting no help (let's talk about that btw)...then that's on you bro.
Or maybe our two GMs need to anticipate that Steele will continue to struggle and get their butts off their lazy boys, and start making calls at the deadline to find a line replacement.

shabazz

Reaction score
Or maybe our two GMs need to anticipate that Steele will continue to struggle and get their butts off their lazy boys, and start making calls at the deadline to find a line replacement.
nope, they’ve repeatedly stated that the roster is good “ as is”……that ship sailed away last Tuesday at 4 o’clock.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
nope, they’ve repeatedly stated that the roster is good “ as is”……that ship sailed away last Tuesday at 4 o’clock.
It is sad how the game spelled out how much a deadline trade was needed. Biggest struggles continued to be from the players who have never recovered from injuries, everyone else playing their tails off. Most deadline trades were to counter injuries. Would have been great to have some more presence in running game (trade for physical back, lineman), or some bigger bodies on the defense. Team played hard and still couldn't bring it across the finish line. Would have helped to have a little extra roster support. Close game, everything counts.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
The moment Dak shows "some urgency" and gets rid of the ball because Steele can't block - and it gets picked - we all know who'd get the blame.

Steele is paid to block. He got a hefty extension this year. Your QB can't be chucking it in 1.5 seconds - to god knows where - because he failed.

Steele was awful today. Dak was not. That's on Steele, bro.
Absolutely. It's also up to the coaches to put a TE on the right side when they clearly see that Steele was struggling the entire game. I am amused by several comments about how Dak should "just throw the ball away." Where? He's in the pocket. There is this penalty called illegal grounding. If he throws it out of bounds while in the pocket that's illegal grounding. If he throws it to the ground and it doesn't go beyond the line of scrimmage, that's illegal grounding. He has a third alternative - he could throw a desperate pass somewhere in the vicinity of one of his players and pray that it doesn't get picked off. I am tired of the QB getting blame when other players fall short of doing their job.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

maybe the blame is on coaches, who should have provided additional protection to help steele. you blamed the QB. yet if he gets rid of the ball early, and WRs aren't where they are supposed to be you complain about lack of accuracy or lack of vision, etc.

this steele issue tonight was all on coaches. the QB should expect more than 1 second of time to set up and throw the ball. half the plays we didn't get that. blame the coaches.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I bet Steele’s pass-blocking grade was atrocious. Take away the 4 sacks he allowed, Dak had to elude at least 4 more where Steele was cleanly beat. Just an abysmal performance.

Cmac

Reaction score
Qb’s that can win a Super Bowl over come those situations! Dak can’t! Need to find qb that can, he’s not it! He had 2 drives to put this game away and came up short!
How'd you feel about Tony Romo?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How about sliding a back or TE over to help because yes, Steele was awful! BUT, again Dak has to know the situation and avoid the sack at all cost! His pocket presence at times is terrible and if he can’t throw to the main target on a drop back, good luck finding someone else downfield.
he has to know the situation. ok. do you know what routes were called and what was expected of the QB to do? does he throw early when the WR is not open and perhaps throw and interception:? does he throw the ball away? then he is called in accurate. does he just run away? and the whole play design is out the door.....

if Dak is expected to know and anticipate as you said, then the coaches need to be as well and call plays that don't take too long to develop and we can release the ball in one second, which is about as much time as we had back there. this was completely on coaches. I kept waiting for pollard to at least chip the DE, or provide TE or FB help. but it never came. reminded me of the game years back in Atlanta when the LT gave up 9 sacks and they never gave him any support.

I know you want to blame Dak, but maybe 1 or 2 or 3 plays fall on him. not the other 15.

PurpleHaze22

Reaction score
Steele definitely needed help.Why not keep a back in to pick up anyone breaking through?.Zeke used to excel at that.Also Steele probably should have been replaced.The

guy filling in for Tyrone did a good job when called on.Poor coaching decisions.

Adreme

Reaction score
I’ve seen some pretty good write ups discussing how many sacks are actually a QB stat. It’s either not reading the defense correctly or holding the ball too long.

I need to watch that one again, but maybe that’s the case here.
In the early parts of games that is true, but late in the game, when you have to pass it, you need the line to hold up. I think Stroud said it best when he said he told the line “give me time and I’ll make them pay”. That is what it takes to win in 2 minute drills especially when you are under 1 minute.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Nope our coaches should have recognized Steele was struggling and got him some help. Hell, I’m a 58 year old beer bellied fan sitting on my couch and I said he needed help back in the first half. As another poster said, “coaching matters”.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Just like when Green got the falcons player enshrined into the HOF on one game only, why did the coaches not get him some help, chip block by RB (something tells me they don’t practice that at all) or TE help.