Maybe Dak needed to anticipate that Steele was struggling and show some urgency in that pocket late

Dre11

Reaction score
You do know Dak moved a lot to avoid sacks. It would of been even more sacks if Dak didn't move out of the pocket often. If anything the lineman should be thinking him for making them look good on some of those plays by getting the ball out fast or moving out of the pocket. The offensive pass blocking was bad. (mainly because of Steele).
You can't reason with these people

Creeper

Reaction score
First, I said last week they had to worry about Steele. Maybe it is his injury and he needs more time to strengthen the leg or maybe he never fully recovers but he has no lateral quickness anymore and he cannot get in front of DE coming wide unless he overcommits which is when he gets beat inside. In that situation Dallas needed to give him help to make sure he did not give up a quick sack.

I confess I did not see the game yet. I am hoping to watch it tonight. But I saw the replay of the last series and two things can be true. 1. Steele got beat quickly and he is the reason the play failed. 2. Dak should have thrown the ball away. Yes, it was a quick sack but he had time to rifle it out of the end zone. It was first down with 27 seconds left in the game. At that point a high school QB knows the last thing he wants to happen is a sack which costs more yards and with no time outs wastes precious time off the clock.

Dak is not at fault for the play. Steele is. But Dak could have limited the damage.

But people blaming Dak again are way off base. Dak kept them in this game when so many other failed the team. Steele was a disaster and there were signs all year this could happen. The defense failed after taking a 14 - 7 lead. Then they gave up 2 TDs on successive drives in the 3rd quarter. People complaining about Dak not stepping up in big moments, how about this defense stepping up in a big moment in a big game and halting one of those drives? And how about the offensive line no creating any room in the running game?

Even Aubrey, as great as he has been, let them down with a kick out of bounds giving them a short field. A small mistake but a mistake they added to the loss.

And consider this. MM decided to go for it on 4th down twice within FG range. The first time from about the 2 yard line with 6 minutes to go in the game down 11 points. Why not kick the FG there and make it a 1 possession game? As it turned out the pass to Schoonmaker, who was tackled before the ball arrives was short by maybe an inch or so. And how about MM not challenging the stot which gave Hurts an etra yard or two setting up the Tush Push for a first down. Had it been 4th and 3 instead of 4th and 1 the Eagles probably punt and the drive ends. Instead it led to a TD.

One thing I think about this game is the Cowboys are as good as the Eagles. Every single break went against them. 3 fumbles recovered by the Eagles. The Schoonmaker play, Dak steps out of bounds, the bad spot by the refs. Steele saving his worst game as a pro for yesterday. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

The Cowboys showed me they can beat anyone in this league if they eliminate the stupid mistakes. The talent is there.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
59 minutes into the game, the QB should have an idea that pressure may very well come from the right side.

Every veteran QB should know when to throw it away. He see's far too many of these sacks coming & takes the loss rather than throwing it away.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I’ve seen some pretty good write ups discussing how many sacks are actually a QB stat. It’s either not reading the defense correctly or holding the ball too long.

I need to watch that one again, but maybe that’s the case here.
He was sacked in less than 2 seconds.

Most sacks are on the QB, but that one isn't.

Lutonio

Reaction score
He was sacked in less than 2 seconds.

Most sacks are on the QB, but that one isn't.
I still haven’t gotten the chance to watch it through working today. How clear of a view did he have since it came from the right side? I was thinking maybe he could just gun it out of the end zone.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I still haven’t gotten the chance to watch it through working today. How clear of a view did he have since it came from the right side? I was thinking maybe he could just gun it out of the end zone.
The first pressure was from the left. He had a defender at his feet almost simultaneous with ending his dropback. When he went to escape to the right, he just ran into the other guy who also won.

He went through basically the same process he had all night, but the whole OL pretty much lost. Sure he could've just thrown it away, but that'd be giving up on a play so fast that you'll never win doing that. You can't expect a QB to ever throw the ball away that fast, especially in that situation.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
What's the one thing he could not do late in the game? Take a sack. And he took THREE in critical situations.

Happens once...blame Steele.

Twice...okay, Steele again.

But that last sack? Dak if you were surprised at that Eagles defensive formation on first and goal, with Steele getting no help (let's talk about that btw)...then that's on you bro.
but at no time should we blame the OC for not helping Steele? Asking for a friend.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
59 minutes into the game, the QB should have an idea that pressure may very well come from the right side.

Every veteran QB should know when to throw it away. He see's far too many of these sacks coming & takes the loss rather than throwing it away.
So should the HC/OC right?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You cannot take sacks down the stretch if you can throw the ball away. Locate where your receivers are supposed to be and the receiver closest to the side line, just launch it. Live to see another day.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

ok, lets agree on this. but shouldn't the coaches, the OL coach, the HC, the OC all also have an idea that pressure may very well come from the right side? perhaps in that key moment provide protection? shouldn't they then call designed plays that gets the ball our faster to minimize the effect of Stelle being a pylon? so every veteran coach should know when to adjust protection. I have seen far too many of this lack of protection adjustments to not believe our coaches are clueless.

so in you humble opinion, the QB should over come the sub par play of the RT, the OL, the coaches?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
ok, lets agree on this. but shouldn't the coaches, the OL coach, the HC, the OC all also have an idea that pressure may very well come from the right side? perhaps in that key moment provide protection? shouldn't they then call designed plays that gets the ball our faster to minimize the effect of Stelle being a pylon? so every veteran coach should know when to adjust protection. I have seen far too many of this lack of protection adjustments to not believe our coaches are clueless.

so in you humble opinion, the QB should over come the sub par play of the RT, the OL, the coaches?
No argument from me that others shouldn't have done more.

The QB, a veteran QB, should be aware & speaking with his OL and\or his coaches before taking the field. On the field, he knows there isn't any extra protection and thus he has to be aware of the possibility of a rusher getting free from Steele. Aware of down & time remaining, you speed up the countdown to get rid of the ball and avoid the sack.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No argument from me that others shouldn't have done more.

The QB, a veteran QB, should be aware & speaking with his OL and\or his coaches before taking the field. On the field, he knows there isn't any extra protection and thus he has to be aware of the possibility of a rusher getting free from Steele. Aware of down & time remaining, you speed up the countdown to get rid of the ball and avoid the sack.
so you don't think he talked to his OL? or is that an assumption? and is the QBs job to go the coaches and say, hey give me additional protection? what's the coaches job then? and should he have over ruled the coaches and just taken it upon himself to call the pass routes and plays, because hey, my RTs job is to make some sembelence of blocking. he can't so I am just going to over rule the coach, the OC, the OL coach. everyone. so he is the QB, the coach and what else.

you are arguing and putting all the blame on Dak and just spinning things to jus tpin the blame solely on him. even when you said no argument, you turn around and put all the blame on Dak.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Dak is supposed to pull out his crystal ball and anticipate that the OL will lose immediately, and he will immediately have pressure on him as soon as he finishes his drop back.

That way he can throw the ball away.

Proof

Reaction score
Qb’s that can win a Super Bowl over come those situations! Dak can’t! Need to find qb that can, he’s not it! He had 2 drives to put this game away and came up short!
Remember what the Tampa pass rush did to Mahomes in the superbowl? Pepperidge farms remembers

McKDaddy

Reaction score
so you don't think he talked to his OL? or is that an assumption? and is the QBs job to go the coaches and say, hey give me additional protection? what's the coaches job then? and should he have over ruled the coaches and just taken it upon himself to call the pass routes and plays, because hey, my RTs job is to make some sembelence of blocking. he can't so I am just going to over rule the coach, the OC, the OL coach. everyone. so he is the QB, the coach and what else.

you are arguing and putting all the blame on Dak and just spinning things to jus tpin the blame solely on him. even when you said no argument, you turn around and put all the blame on Dak.
I'm not arguing at all, just saying he had every reason to expect protection issues and regardless of what else happened or didn't happen, he could have gotten rid of the ball. He's not the only QB in the league to face these issues. Ultimately they are on the field and have to deal with & overcome.

CordovaRaider

Reaction score
Remember what the Tampa pass rush did to Mahomes in the superbowl? Pepperidge farms remembers
Let’s have Dak get the NFC championship and also the SB before you compare him to the greatest today who got to that SB against Tampa with a terrible oline…

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm not arguing at all, just saying he had every reason to expect protection issues and regardless of what else happened or didn't happen, he could have gotten rid of the ball. He's not the only QB in the league to face these issues. Ultimately they are on the field and have to deal with & overcome.
he had reason, but not as much control as you expected him to have. he couldn't change the play, he should have expected blocking adjustments, so like I said, if he gets rid of the ball, then its an incomplete and he is inaccurate. or worse it gets intercepted, or expected for him to go on a run, which then just negates the play. expecting something and being put in a position to be able to deal with it are not necessarily the same. its like somebody is holding a gun to your head and you are expected to start running, so you get shot in the back. regardless you get shot.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
This is a friggin joke:facepalm: How the heck you gonna anticipate a guy not blocking their guy on any play??? The hate for our guy is pathetic. He played great and this is who you're targeting:thumbdown:maybe the glass work defense could of stopped them once and gotten a FG in 4 times scoring 28. Maybe the coach could of called better plays in the last 2 minutes. Maybe your boot legged owner /GM could of gotten the team some help. But Naw....I's always,Dak:rolleyes: