Mayock says Barwin is a 2nd rounder

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
He says despite the eye-popping workout numbers, he's still too raw to be a first round pick like many people are claiming. He said he should be a third rounder, but will probably go in the second. I wonder about that -- it only takes one team to like him and draft him in the first or very high second -- but if he were there for us would you take him, or maybe even trade up little?

I think I would. I really don't know how he plays football -- Is he tough? Is he physical? -- but if he doesn't mind mixing it up, we have a pretty good situation where he could learn OLB behind Spencer and spot rush at first. The guy sure is a good athlete for how big he is.

And BTW, Mayock actually likes him better at TE. I'd put him at outside backer, of course.

What do you guys think?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
In a heartbeat and never look back ! He's one of my favorte players in this draft .

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
this guy has a great attitude and will do anything asked of him, I would take him in a heartbeat, and he could even line up near the goalline as a TE like Mike Vrabel

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2725455 said:
He says despite the eye-popping workout numbers, he's still too raw to be a first round pick like many people are claiming. He said he should be a third rounder, but will probably go in the second. I wonder about that -- it only takes one team to like him and draft him in the first or very high second -- but if he were there for us would you take him, or maybe even trade up little?

I think I would. I really don't know how he plays football -- Is he tough? Is he physical? -- but if he doesn't mind mixing it up, we have a pretty good situation where he could learn OLB behind Spencer and spot rush at first. The guy sure is a good athlete for how big he is.

And BTW, Mayock actually likes him better at TE. I'd put him at outside backer, of course.

What do you guys think?

I think I like alot of other guys a whole lot better. This guy's probably a project.

RS12

Reaction score
Mamula was a workout warrior. I believe he shredded his knee in the NFL as well. Barwin put up 11 sacks in a good conference. Love to see him at 51.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2725620 said:
That's what you're always afraid of.

Did you watch him play much in college?

I saw him play well against Rutgers. And I know he tore it up against Pitt.

But he was doing this as a DE.

If he is still on the board in the 4th round then yeah I would draft him and mold him into a 34 OLB. But I can't see taking him in the second round and then hoping he can become a 34 OLB.

He only has one year under his belt of playing defense. You will in these highlights that he's raw and really has no idea what he's looking at opposite him because if he's not going at the QB full speed he's standing there and then reacting to find the ball...

[youtube]u79CJdrxZbo[/youtube]

I can't see him being a 34 OLB right off the bat. And Mayock is probably right about someone taking him as a TE where he will probably provide dividends immediately if he can catch.

Here's his game log from last season...

http://www.cfbstats.com/2008/player/140/78415/sack/gamelog.html

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
The Giants and Jaguars had their TEs coaches looking at him.

He is rising and should go in the 1-2 round. I wouldn't trade up for him.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
When he was originally brought up on this forum he was considered a day two project. Since then he's been screaming up draft boards. I'd say his current place is probably a early second. I'd love to take him. He's been outstanding at whatever he's been asked to do. He obviously learns quickly, and he's a tremendous athlete. I like him better as a defender.

....but there are definitely more NFL ready players out there.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I would have zero issue drafting this guy at 51/52.

He could backup Spencer uyear 1 and is a better athlete.

He is going to be raw as an OLB but most of them are. Ware played DE, SS and a bit of OLB before he got here and he was raw too but eventually talent shows and aren't we glad we have him.

I promise you he will have more sacks as a rookie than Spencer had last year even.

I have to disagree with Mayock about positions. I think there are too many teams wanting an OLB for him to be drafted as a TE.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2725982 said:
I saw him play well against Rutgers. And I know he tore it up against Pitt.

But he was doing this as a DE.
Well, he's better suited to 34 OLB than he is to 43 DE.

And he looked better than I expected in those highlights. Seems like he'd be even better in Wade's defense where he can rush a lot and shoot gaps than in a Parcells/Belicheat 34.

I know I wasn't for Sintim early, but this guy just seems to have a huge upside. For that reason, I doubt he lasts as long as Mayock thinks.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
jterrell;2726136 said:
I would have zero issue drafting this guy at 51/52.

He could backup Spencer uyear 1 and is a better athlete.

He is going to be raw as an OLB but most of them are. Ware played DE, SS and a bit of OLB before he got here and he was raw too but eventually talent shows and aren't we glad we have him.

I promise you he will have more sacks as a rookie than Spencer had last year even.

I have to disagree with Mayock about positions. I think there are too many teams wanting an OLB for him to be drafted as a TE.
LOL. Spencer had 1.5 sacks last year.

I'd hope Barwin could beat that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Vintage;2726373 said:
LOL. Spencer had 1.5 sacks last year.

I'd hope Barwin could beat that.

But doesn't that lend credence to how we can use a guy like Barwin with true pass rushing potential?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RS12;2725643 said:
Mamula was a workout warrior. I believe he shredded his knee in the NFL as well. Barwin put up 11 sacks in a good conference. Love to see him at 51.

The Big East is not a very good football conference these days. Basketball, that's another story, but their football conference is actually pretty weak.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
irvin4evs;2726048 said:
What a stupid analogy.

Your response is moronic.

You just stroll in and try to attack my post, but then fail to provide any insight at all about the topic at hand.

So it's prety obvious you just don't like me so you chose to write some moronic.

Thanks for making the board a better place.

And the analogy is dead on. He's a workout warrior who is wowing scouts with his 'look' and combine numbers.

Just like Mamula did back in the day. So right now he's a perfect comparison to him. Gholston was last season's Mamula. Every year there is a Mamula.

Grow up and get over the Terrell Owens issues.

It's over. The battle is lost. He's gone and he's never coming back so I am not the enemy any longer.

Now if you are going to respond try talking about Connor Barwin.