Mayock says Barwin is a 2nd rounder

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Sarge;2726550 said:
The Big East is not a very good football conference these days. Basketball, that's another story, but their football conference is actually pretty weak.

He killed that Tackle from Pitt. And that kid looked pretty big and slow.

He also had some two sack games against Eastern Kentucky and Miami of Ohio where his team was blowing them out. He had another in the game against Marshall where they were blowing them out. Two against Rutgers, then didn't have a sack in 6 of the last 8 games.

Oklahoma, South Florida, Louisville and Va Tech shut him out as far as sacks go.

Give me a 3 sack game against Oklahoma or Va. Tech in the bowl game and I might use a 2nd rounder.

Here's some highlight videos of Oklahoma OLineman Phillip Loadholt and Duke Robinson. In the beginning of the vids you will see a few plays with Barwin, he's #5, getting stuffed a few times. The point being is that he's going to look great in his highlight video, but what does he look like against some big uglies from Oklahoma who have 'NFL Type' lineman across the board...

Loadholt...

[youtube]nyTOOKEOIFo[/youtube]

Loadholt handled him in this game. And I hate Loadholt as a Left Tackle in the NFL because has slow feet.

Duke...

[youtube]-3qy7xxeVHA[/youtube]

Barwin had 1 solo tackle in that game, no TFL's and no sacks.

Right now I would use a 4th if he's there.

I like his potential and his upside, but I don't think he's ready to help right now and this team needs help right now at S, G, WR, DT/NT and CB.

As long as Ellis is still under contract we have our three pass rushers from OLB.

RS12

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2726843 said:

He also had some two sack games against Eastern Kentucky and Miami of Ohio where his team was blowing them out. He had another in the game against Marshall where they were blowing them out. Two against Rutgers, then didn't have a sack in 6 of the last 8 games.

Oklahoma, South Florida, Louisville and Va Tech shut him out as far as sacks go.

Give me a 3 sack game against Oklahoma or Va. Tech in the bowl game and I might use a 2nd rounder.

Here's some highlight videos of Oklahoma OLineman Phillip Loadholt and Duke Robinson. In the beginning of the vids you will see a few plays with Barwin, he's #5, getting stuffed a few times. The point being is that he's going to look great in his highlight video, but what does he look like against some big uglies from Oklahoma who have 'NFL Type' lineman across the board...

Loadholt...

Loadholt handled him in this game. And I hate Loadholt as a Left Tackle in the NFL because has slow feet.

Duke...

I like his potential and his upside, but I don't think he's ready to help right now and this team needs help right now at S, G, WR, DT/NT and CB.

As long as Ellis is still under contract we have our three pass rushers from OLB.

Thanks for breaking down Barwins numbers. I'd rather have Sintim based on this. Unless his 20 sacks the last two seasons did not come against ACC opponents.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
RS12;2726882 said:
Thanks for breaking down Barwins numbers. I'd rather have Sintim based on this. Unless his 20 sacks the last two seasons did not come against ACC opponents.

Check them out here...

http://www.cfbstats.com/2008/player/746/75824/index.html

He did fine against the ACC.

You will notice he improved all his numbers from 2007 to 2008.

Sacks, TFL's, QB hurries and pass break ups all improved. And the most important part of that stat was that he did it in one less game. 13 games in 2007, 12 games in 2008.

With that said I am not all that high on him either. He didn't do much to finish off the season.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2726843 said:

Loadholt...

Duke...

that's just asinine.

Barwin is a legit 1st round prospect and if we pass on him in the 2nd they we are idiots.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2727337 said:
that's just asinine.

Barwin is a legit 1st round prospect and if we pass on him in the 2nd they we are idiots.

I like Barwin in the 2nd also, but if they pass on him then I'll take thier word for it. They wouldn't be "idiots"..he hasn't proved much to warrant otherwise than a good combine. Ask the Niners if they regret taking Vernon Davis for that.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2727362 said:
I like Barwin in the 2nd also, but if they pass on him then I'll take thier word for it. They wouldn't be "idiots"..he hasn't proved much to warrant otherwise than a good combine. Ask the Niners if they regret taking Vernon Davis for that.

Vernon Davis is an ***-hat

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I don't see the Mamula comparisons, since he went in the top 10, while Barwin will go late 1st early 2nd. If the only criteria is that he had a great workout at the combine, then you'd have to apply that tag to quite a few draftees.

Many had Barwin rated a 1st rounder leading up to the combine and now have him dropping down into the 2nd, so if anything his combine has hurt his stock.

I do have questions about him because he was feast or famine his only year on defense, however I would pull the trigger in a hearbeat at 51.

Even if you ignore his pass rush abilities he demonstrated with very little training comparatively, at the very least his versitality and athleticsm would provide backup at several positions allowing us to go light. He could play TE, DE, OLB and might actually thrive at the Will. He is a hard worker, a good character and special teams demon. I'd take him in the 2nd and find a place for him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
So forget athletic ability and potential -- if you don't dominate against an incredibly superior team, you're no good?

I don't have the stats, but I'm going to guess Demarcus Ware didn't get as many sacks against SEC teams as he did against Sun Belt teams. Guess he'll never make it in the NFL.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
dbair1967;2725556 said:
I think I like alot of other guys a whole lot better. This guy's probably a project.

Yeah, at one time I had an infatuation with this guy but the more I watched him I realized he is no where ready to contribute on the next level right now. Great character, motor and god given athletic ability but he is 2 or 3 years from being a factor.

The kind of guy you would love to have if you can afford to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on the guy. I don't think we can. Despite what the publications and draft experts say this guy to me would need to slip to the 4th to carry value for Dallas.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2727362 said:

There's a big difference between vernon davis a top 5 pick and Barwin being a fist rounder. I'm pretty sure we regret bobby carpenter and we would be stupid to pass on him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2725791 said:
Ya, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him..I like alot of choices better though.

I'm in this camp

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;2727462 said:
Many had Barwin rated a 1st rounder leading up to the combine and now have him dropping down into the 2nd, so if anything his combine has hurt his stock.

Like who? Some of his family?

I dont know anyone who had him rated as a 1st rd pick, most didnt even have him as a day one pick. His stock has definitely not dropped since the combine.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2727598 said:
Like who? Some of his family?

I dont know anyone who had him rated as a 1st rd pick, most didnt even have him as a day one pick. His stock has definitely not dropped since the combine.

:muttley:

I don't think he was a 1st rounder before the combine.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2727500 said:
Yeah, at one time I had an infatuation with this guy but the more I watched him I realized he is no where ready to contribute on the next level right now. Great character, motor and god given athletic ability but he is 2 or 3 years from being a factor.

The kind of guy you would love to have if you can afford to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on the guy. I don't think we can. Despite what the publications and draft experts say this guy to me would need to slip to the 4th to carry value for Dallas.

See, I don't understand this kind of thinking. Not that I'm bashing you, because a lot of people say it. But if we thought a player, any player, was going to be a star in two or three years, why couldn't we afford that? Why are we in a position of having to take an inferior prospect?