Mazi looks in decent shape

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Landry said give 3 years to a DT before making a final determination. I'm not going to go against arguably the best Xs and Os coach ever.
Fans are never going to do that. They decided whether a player is going to be good or not even before the player has taken his first pro snaps.

Of course, the three-year rule is so hard to accept these days since they become a free agent after four.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Mazi was getting manhandled by scrubs in the preseason game. That has to get better and I hope it does. Im not sure his slow get off can be fixed
Show the clips. I saw him give a couple of steps on double teams. And he got moved laterally a yard or two on another. Let's see 'manhandled.'

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score

I don't know, hermano. He looks trimmed no doubt. But isn't this how NT's supposed to look?

187560f25efed6bb7daf62da2288a2b6.jpg

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
actually Landry said to give ANY DRAFT CHOICE three years. BUT at the same time he cut more than a few when it became obvious they were not going to make it
willing to give Mazi a mulligan for last year to an extent; but he NEEDS to show something this year
When you had 12 to 18 draft picks each year. Yeah you will cut quite a few of them.

JBS

Reaction score
Against the Rams, we were playing him on all three downs. I'm sure that was just to give him more practice and see what he can do. He will be a one-down or two-down player during the regular season ... unless we can't stop the run and force the opponent to pass.

Bringing in Phillips hopefully gives us someone we can rotate with him on those downs if he gets gassed.
That’s cool. Still not fit

Havic

Reaction score
We needed more help at DT even if Mazi was all pro.
This is the 3rd positive thread about Mazi by OP meanwhile we panic and get help. There is nothing positive about Mazi and he is trying to frame a narrative that states otherwise. That’s my issue.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Mazi has the correct attitude and has been improving.

The question is can he keep improving and how good will he be.

I haven’t given up on him yet. Yeah his rookie season was disappointing but he was always a project and player when they drafted him.

He is NOT in game shape right now and is
Getting winded pretty quick. But the dude had surgery in the offseason so he probably couldn’t do the same conditioning as other
Players.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Mazi has the correct attitude and has been improving.

The question is can he keep improving and how good will he be.

I haven’t given up on him yet. Yeah his rookie season was disappointing but he was always a project and player when they drafted him.

He is NOT in game shape right now and is
Getting winded pretty quick. But the dude had surgery in the offseason so he probably couldn’t do the same conditioning as other
Players.
Hard to be mad at a player for being over drafted.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Reaction score
That’s cool. Still not fit
I'm just saying that not many big ol' NTs are able to play all three downs over and over without running out of gas. He's fit for an NT. What he did against the Rams is not what he's going to be asked to do. He'll have plenty of rests on the sideline to not get worn down.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm just saying that not many big ol' NTs are able to play all three downs over and over without running out of gas. He's fit for an NT. What he did against the Rams is not what he's going to be asked to do. He'll have plenty of rests on the sideline to not get worn down.
They've made up their minds. Good thing what any of us think matters not.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He said it’s not Candy Land. Yeah. It’s Chutes and Ladders. Ladders in the regular season. Chutes in the playoffs.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
actually Landry said to give ANY DRAFT CHOICE three years. BUT at the same time he cut more than a few when it became obvious they were not going to make it
willing to give Mazi a mulligan for last year to an extent; but he NEEDS to show something this year
While it is true certain positions take a longer duration to be productive, he should probably show something in the 2nd half of season atleast at NT (1 tech ) position which was why he got drafted,I dont know whose genius idea ( Quinn) to make him pass rush DT, which kind of pushed him back

gimmesix

Reaction score
They've made up their minds. Good thing what any of us think matters not.
As fans, we've seen some players develop slowly. We've seen some give everything they've got to play in the NFL but not be able to because of injury. We've seen some not become what we hoped because they just can't, they don't have the ability.

I've never seen a reason to bad-mouth or make fun of any of them. If they weren't good enough to start or contribute and we rely on them, that's on the coaches and front office.

That doesn't mean we can't have critical analysis of their play or readiness to contribute or lay out concerns about them. I just see no need to try to run them down.

At this point, I am concerned about what Mazi can do based on his rookie season where he didn't do much of anything, but I don't know how it's going to turn out. He was going to be a second-round pick at worst, which is pretty high for a nose tackle, so I think most teams thought that he would become solid in that role at least. And that may happen, but we may have to wait for him to get there. But the way things work in this league, and especially with this team, is we're going to rely on you even if you're not there yet.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As fans, we've seen some players develop slowly. We've seen some give everything they've got to play in the NFL but not be able to because of injury. We've seen some not become what we hoped because they just can't, they don't have the ability.

I've never seen a reason to bad-mouth or make fun of any of them. If they weren't good enough to start or contribute and we rely on them, that's on the coaches and front office.

That doesn't mean we can't have critical analysis of their play or readiness to contribute or lay out concerns about them. I just see no need to try to run them down.

At this point, I am concerned about what Mazi can do based on his rookie season where he didn't do much of anything, but I don't know how it's going to turn out. He was going to be a second-round pick at worst, which is pretty high for a nose tackle, so I think most teams thought that he would become solid in that role at least. And that may happen, but we may have to wait for him to get there. But the way things work in this league, and especially with this team, is we're going to rely on you even if you're not there yet.
Troy Aikman went 1-15 in his rookie season. He was pretty bad early on.