Mazi Smith Film Breakdown

Carter

Reaction score
Hes only 22 and was raw coming out of college. Everyone knew it. He only has a power bull rush and nothing more.

So i was expecting early struggles. But baffles me though and worries me is how slow he is out of his stance. Its like slow mo on every play. Thats kinda weird cause he didnt have this problem in college.

ArmChairGM

Reaction score
Hes only 22 and was raw coming out of college. Everyone knew it. He only has a power bull rush and nothing more.

So i was expecting early struggles. But baffles me though and worries me is how slow he is out of his stance. Its like slow mo on every play. Thats kinda weird cause he didnt have this problem in college.
That was one of the knocks on him coming out

Motorola

Reaction score

That was one of the knocks on him coming out
Wasn't that the result of his college training...Michigan coached Smith to "read" the play on the snap, then react?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's odd: it's the thing I kept hearing when he was drafted as the knock on him, slow to react. I don't have any idea if that's something he can get better at. I imagine that will be a focus of his offseason program, but I doubt we see significant improvement in-season this year.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

Because NFL is light years different than college in terms of speed and physicality. You can be a step slow in college and still recover on the play. Can't do that in the NFL.

ArmChairGM

Reaction score
Wasn't that the result of his college training...Michigan coached Smith to "read" the play on the snap, then react?
I'll admit, I don't know why he was slow off the snap in college. Just that it was a knock on him. I know he had to read and react, I just don't know if that's why he was slow off the snap, or if it's something else.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I really have a hard time with that excuse. I never see him that fast off the ball no matter what. even on plays when he is going all out to push the middle or penetrate or whatever, he is slow

mardwin

Reaction score
Nice tape, takeaway Mazi Smith is showing progress but Clark (#33) is struggling.