Mazi Smith Film Breakdown

rambo2

Reaction score
That's odd: it's the thing I kept hearing when he was drafted as the knock on him, slow to react. I don't have any idea if that's something he can get better at. I imagine that will be a focus of his offseason program, but I doubt we see significant improvement in-season this year.
We saw improvement last week.

Stardog

Reaction score
I’m a fan of his and think he will get better. First play is a good example of what he’s been struggling with. When he goes against a zone block he’s got to stay on his guy. On that first play he should be engaged with the guard not the tackle. He was a tick slow on it but does seem to be getting better. Can’t get reached by the back side guy and let the guard go.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait until he knocks Hurts into the turf. Yeas from now, instead of negative comments....fans will be posting....see that spot at the 15 yard line. That was the former QB known as Jalen Hurts.....
:muttley:

Shane612

Reaction score
To me the line play is too chaotic to quantify who did what. The desired result is that the offensive player is stopped before he gains more than 3 yards, or the QB was pressured or sacked.
Who gets credit for funneling the ball carrier to certain direction, so that the tackler makes the tackle? It could be multiple players that do that.
Seems to me you can kinda tell if the Dline player will be out of position within the first three steps he makes on the play. Sometimes he doesn't take any step at all.
I hope Mazi Smith is improving, but I lost interest in him few games back.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
That's odd: it's the thing I kept hearing when he was drafted as the knock on him, slow to react. I don't have any idea if that's something he can get better at. I imagine that will be a focus of his offseason program, but I doubt we see significant improvement in-season this year.
Trade him now. Bundle Gallup with him probably get a 5th in return

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
In overall performance, yes. He still looked slow off the snap compared to the other linemen on several of those plays, to my admittedly untrained eye.
It's a progression. This is the second time he has seen the Giants and I am sure that slowed things down for him.

DT is rough with the suddenness of everything. He clearly did not know all his keys for all the NFL looks which should not be a surprise. He is slow off the ball but rarely is he blown off the ball. With Hill, Gallimore and many of the other DT as they develop, they would go off the snap without a clue and get hooked constantly.

I really like how Quinn is developing him. He needs a lot of work particularly on his hands working the B gap. It was impressive watching him take on the tackle and crush him. When he gets his hands down and settles in a couple/few go to moves he is going to be fun to watch.