Mazi Smith has not elevated his game against the run or the pass as hoped

CCBoy

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-grade-giants-game-potential-first-round-pick

Former Dallas Cowboys first-round pick Mazi Smith has been the most divisive draft pick since Taco Charlton, another Michigan alumni. Entering his final collegiate season, Smith was touted as the freakiest athlete in college football, according to Bruce Feldman’s Freak List of 2022.

“Mazi’s rotational strength is ridiculous,” said longtime Michigan strength coach Ben Herbert, who said Smith is the strongest defensive lineman he’s seen in 25 years in the business. “He is an incredible combination of rare traits packaged into one player. He is just ridiculously strong and powerful.”
Since then, Smith has not lived up to his No. 1 ranking and has struggled to translate the strength he showed in college to the NFL. Per NFL Pro, Smith has failed to record a single pressure on any of his 80 pass rushes this season. He is the only defensive tackle who has not registered a pressure on at least 50 pass rushes.

According to NFL Pro, there have only been 16 defensive tackles to not record a pressure through Week 7 with at least 50 pass rushes since 2018. Not the historic company a young defensive tackle would want to be associated with...

John813

Reaction score
Dude could be Larry Allen strong in the weight room. Doesn't mean much if he doesn't know how to translate it to the football field.
That comment from him, I Don't Even Like Football. I Like Hitting People", definitely had some truth in there based off results to date.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-grade-giants-game-potential-first-round-pick

Former Dallas Cowboys first-round pick Mazi Smith has been the most divisive draft pick since Taco Charlton, another Michigan alumni. Entering his final collegiate season, Smith was touted as the freakiest athlete in college football, according to Bruce Feldman’s Freak List of 2022.

Since then, Smith has not lived up to his No. 1 ranking and has struggled to translate the strength he showed in college to the NFL. Per NFL Pro, Smith has failed to record a single pressure on any of his 80 pass rushes this season. He is the only defensive tackle who has not registered a pressure on at least 50 pass rushes.

According to NFL Pro, there have only been 16 defensive tackles to not record a pressure through Week 7 with at least 50 pass rushes since 2018. Not the historic company a young defensive tackle would want to be associated with...
Being a strong/ powerful weightlifter and a solid football player are two different things. I hate to say it but it seems we drafted a weightlifter.
Just think, we waited over 20 years to draft another DT in 1st round and got it wrong (LOL)

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Coming out of college the lack of pass rush was just accepted as part of his game. It would be fine if he had developed into the run defender we thought he could be.

Maybe another year or two in the NFL and something will click, but he’s shown very few flashes that would make me think so.

Bagman

Reaction score
I think if Mazi keeps up this streak of poor to mediocre play, he's going to earn himself a nice extension from the Cowboys. All he has to do is show up and be a buddy to the Jones' and he'll earn that paycheck. Production is not required in Cowboyland.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dude could be Larry Allen strong in the weight room. Doesn't mean much if he doesn't know how to translate it to the football field.
That comment from him, I Don't Even Like Football. I Like Hitting People", definitely had some truth in there based off results to date.

Well, if that's his mentality, then we need to trade him and get a NT that loves football.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Coming out of college the lack of pass rush was just accepted as part of his game. It would be fine if he had developed into the run defender we thought he could be.

Maybe another year or two in the NFL and something will click, but he’s shown very few flashes that would make me think so.

Exactly, all I wanted from him was to be able to stop the run. As long as he could clog the middle, the rest of the team could take it from there. He can't even do that.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Smith was touted as the freakiest athlete in college, according to Bruce Feldman’s Freak List of 2022.

When I hear "freakiest athlete", it gives me great pause on a player because they're not referring to a football player..the pre draft book on Smith coming out of college was that he's not going to give you much in the pass rush, how are you a freak of an athlete in Football if you don't offer anything in a pass rush.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Smith’s performance against New York is what fans were hoping for when the Cowboys drafted the most exceptional athlete in college football. There's still time for Smith to turn things around, as there's more than half a season left in his sophomore campaign.

PFF ranks the Giants' C 31st in the league.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants/21/roster

Wanna guess who they rank 33?
Here's a hint.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/teams/dallas-cowboys/9/roster

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Mazi sucks. unfortunately, he is here to stay for another 2 years until his contract runs out, as Jerry doesn't like letting players go early.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Doesn't like football, injury prone, offseason shoulder surgery, showed zero promise in his rookie season; the Cowboys made the right call putting all of their eggs in that basket.

stiletto

Reaction score

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
I said immediately after preseason last year that this dude is not a starting caliber player in this league. Not once did he flash, even playing against backups and guys now out of the league. Never once have I seen a player go on to do good things without flashing in his inaugural preseason appearences. I don't care if you're young, raw, still learning a system, etc, if you have legit talent you will beat the man in front of you at least some of the time. He was manhandled by everyone he lined up against, which was scrubs and never was's and never will be's. He did have a nice outing against NY this year; I will give him that. Maybe he can still be depth, but he will never be a legit starter on a decent NFL Dline.