Mazi Smith has not elevated his game against the run or the pass as hoped

gtb1943

Reaction score
I mean, if we can't go Jeanty, then the other back I'm wanting is Gordon from OK State. I'd be happy with Walker (NT) Kentucky round 1, a guard, and Gordon. I'm just saying that Jeanty and what I suggested is perfectly fine too. Either works well imo. The nice thing about where we are likely to pick is we can't go wrong either way. Heck, we could trade back, get some extra picks including maybe an extra 1st round pick next year, and still get Walker. That'd be great. Any of those 3 options are great.
Depends on where we draft also
right now I am thinking anywhere from 10-20
probably around 15
Jeanty will go before that
Walker from Kentucky is my wet dream; a real monster that would transform the middle of our D

Praxit

Reaction score
...its probably safe to say, the guy is a bust. Unfortunately so.

We have seen so many players, that right from the very start show what they are leading to.

I dont know who's the person that said, they saw Aaron Donald in him... lol... ;)..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Depends on where we draft also
right now I am thinking anywhere from 10-20
probably around 15
Jeanty will go before that
Walker from Kentucky is my wet dream; a real monster that would transform the middle of our D

I could see pick 8-10.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Hopefully we’ll try and trade him during the offseason. I would take a 4th round pick for him.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I could see pick 8-10.
looking at what the teams record of last year was at those draft spots, that would mean probably not winning more than four more games this year
We play the giants, panthers which right now are the only two teams I can feel fairly certain we will beat
SF is a possibility since it is on the road and they are crippled
maybe one of the games with Washington and Eagles
it could happen

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
looking at what the teams record of last year was at those draft spots, that would mean probably not winning more than four more games this year
We play the giants, panthers which right now are the only two teams I can feel fairly certain we will beat
SF is a possibility since it is on the road and they are crippled
maybe one of the games with Washington and Eagles
it could happen

That's true, especially with how crap a lot of the AFC is.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Already the case this year that drafting Mazi in the first last year likely kept us from drafting/signing even a plausible starting 1T/NT.

We *obviously* didn't have one.

You’re right about that. They put all their chips on the table for Mazi to be the guy this year.

Despite zero evidence last year that he was ready/able to be the guy.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
This is shaping up to be a bigger bust than Taco. Jerry will keep him here for years just to not have to admit that he missed big time on this.

I doubt there are any takers, but the Cowboys need to try and unload him this next off season for any draft picks they can get.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I think anyone with an ounce of common sense expected this to play out this way
Yep. It was a reach in the draft, then his opening pre season told us everything we needed to know. Contrary to some opinions, you don't need 5 to 10 seasons to judge a player a bust or not. It's typically evident right away as it was in the case of Mazi.

stinkface

Reaction score
Hopefully we’ll try and trade him during the offseason. I would take a 4th round pick for him.
He is a swing and a miss so far. You have to wonder if you would get more then a day 3 pick for him.

stinkface

Reaction score
Yep. It was a reach in the draft, then his opening pre season told us everything we needed to know. Contrary to some opinions, you don't need 5 to 10 seasons to judge a player a bust or not. It's typically evident right away as it was in the case of Mazi.
Well he certainly wasn't NFL strong when drafted and that never really changed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He is a swing and a miss so far. You have to wonder if you would get more then a day 3 pick for him.
As bad as he’s looked, I doubt we would get much for him. Would like to get something rather than have to cut him like we did Taco. He may be gone after year two just like Taco.

Proof

Reaction score
I agree, high end DTs are a lot more difficult to find. High end RBs are regularly found throughout the draft and really not even that expensive in free agency. Nothing against young Zeke, he was a great player, but that selection had a really bad ripple effect on this organization as time went on. Ideally with 1st round picks you want a player you can lock up to a 2nd contract, with RBs that 2nd contract has a fairly high miss rate.
right jalen ramsey is still a high end corner. multiple all pros and has netted first rd picks in trades twice now. zeke was a really fun player for two years, but wasn’t worth or first top 5 selection in 30 years. kashmir gibbs for hor good he is an what he’s doing for detroit was a terrible use of resources, only offset by them having so many pucks that draft. bijan is damn near in a timeshare. even if i were t hoping for a stud dt, im over the highly drafted rb.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Quinnen Williams was picked third overall and it took until about this point in his second season to catch on. I can be a little more patient with Mazi.

The problem is these clowns counted on him to be solid immediately and that’s on them. Then they doubled down and expected things to click right away this year. Who told them that? Coaches trying to sell the job they are doing? That’s what happens when the boss doesn’t know what he is looking at.

Not every draft pick is going to pan out and they were due for a first round bust. Since that’s their only big acquisition every off-season, it’s magnified.

Something like this ought to be a disappointment, not something that ruins seasons, but who is better than Jerry?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Quinnen Williams was picked third overall and it took until about this point in his second season to catch on. I can be a little more patient with Mazi.

The problem is these clowns counted on him to be solid immediately and that’s on them. Then they doubled down and expected things to click right away this year. Who told them that? Coaches trying to sell the job they are doing? That’s what happens when the boss doesn’t know what he is looking at.

Not every draft pick is going to pan out and they were due for a first round bust. Since that’s their only big acquisition every off-season, it’s magnified.

Something like this ought to be a disappointment, not something that ruins seasons, but who is better than Jerry?

And that's where having a veteran free agent ahead of him to learn the ropes would have been good.

CWR

Reaction score

Not only that, but they completely wasted his rookie year trying to make him something he isn't. Now he's playing in the middle of a dumpster fire, where everyone is crapping the bed. Either way he has to turn it on, but in all honesty it hasn't been a good situation for him.