Mazi Smith has not elevated his game against the run or the pass as hoped

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not only that, but they completely wasted his rookie year trying to make him something he isn't. Now he's playing in the middle of a dumpster fire, where everyone is crapping the bed. Either way he has to turn it on, but in all honesty it hasn't been a good situation for him.
Yep.

Throw in that counting Michigan, he is likely to be in his fourth scheme in four years next season….I wouldn’t be counting on him to not bust, but apparently the Jones boys want their ROI on him.

Reactions: CWR

CCBoy

Reaction score
To be fair to Marzi, they obviously didn't know what to do with him last year and destroyed his body, he's built it back up, but is surely worse off for the transformation. New system this year too.
I consider this year for him a rookie year coming off of injury, which what they did to him last year amounts to.
He does have potential, but was started out with bad interior tackle techniques. He has to first learn how to again become a trash can full of dirt.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You’re right about that. They put all their chips on the table for Mazi to be the guy this year.

Despite zero evidence last year that he was ready/able to be the guy.
Worse, there was plenty of evidence that he wasn't ready/able.

And even if they hoped he was ready, would it have killed us to have *two* moderately competent DTs?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Worse, there was plenty of evidence that he wasn't ready/able.

And even if they hoped he was ready, would it have killed us to have *two* moderately competent DTs?

They’re idiots. Their mentality is “we spent a first round pick on this guy. So he has to step up and perform”.

It’s also the same nonsense you hear about “guys just need to step up and execute”

They never seem to recognize the fact that players don’t play in a vacuum. They play against other players. You can’t put inferior players on the field and say “just go out there and execute”. When they are going against other professional players who are better than them and also trying to execute and beat them.

It’s just pure stupidity.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Being a 1st round draft pick is no guarantee of success. Mazi is a physical freak with a poor attitude and a slow 1st step. Whether it's his stupidity or his dislike of the game itself, he'll have the time to either prove himself or get an exit from pro football. If so, it'll be tragic for both him and the team.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
i've not been impressed with this Zimmer coaching staff or scheme anyway.... not even the best DT on this team - Osa, has been a true non-factor .

And that's just the DL ... i got pet peeves with Zimmer secondary schemes as well.

i could easily see this team starting from scratch,

Rayman70

Reaction score
I care what he does in December when things matter most. It takes a bunch of time to get better at DT. HE IS NO EXCEPTION.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Being a 1st round draft pick is no guarantee of success. Mazi is a physical freak with a poor attitude and a slow 1st step. Whether it's his stupidity or his dislike of the game itself, he'll have the time to either prove himself or get an exit from pro football. If so, it'll be tragic for both him and the team.
He has a penchant for giving piss poor effort and taking plays off. If he ever decides he wants to be great, watch out. He does flash when he wants to.

gtb1943

Reaction score
He has a penchant for giving piss poor effort and taking plays off. If he ever decides he wants to be great, watch out. He does flash when he wants to.
that is a very big IF.

In the end playing on the line is half physical and half mental. To be very blunt he has not shown much either way.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I don't think he's ever going to be good. He's so slow off the snap I don't think you can fix that.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They’re idiots. Their mentality is “we spent a first round pick on this guy. So he has to step up and perform”.

It’s also the same nonsense you hear about “guys just need to step up and execute”

They never seem to recognize the fact that players don’t play in a vacuum. They play against other players. You can’t put inferior players on the field and say “just go out there and execute”. When they are going against other professional players who are better than them and also trying to execute and beat them.

That kind of attitude you're describing is irresponsible idiocy.

Just may be that Mazi *can't* do that, and the Joneses are the ones who need to step up in their own job of properly running the team.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Dude is ranked dead last at his position by PFF.
119 of 119...smh.
Not saying PFF is the end all of position rankings, but still.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

The biggest problem/embarrassment is that Will banged the table for him. We're just an organization that keeps on giving.