Mazi Smith isn't that great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carter

Reaction score
The whole Michigan D had an off game against TCU who had all momentum last season. Still i wouldnt call running away from Mazi being owned .

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This tape's been posted a lot before.

At 5:30 on this one, the Frogs go fire-on-fire and power run straight at Mazi 3 times. They convert all 3 plays, including a score.

I'm too lazy to look for time stamps, but Avila bullies him on the next drive too.

And there are a lot of NFL guards better than Steve Avila. Most are even stronger, with years of NFL weight training and NFL 'vitamins'.

I don't expect a lot of return for Mazi before year 3, cause that's just the nature of the NT beast. Derrick Brown and Vita Vea were two of the most absurdly strong college DTs I've ever seen, and both were very average as rookies. Dexter Lawrence didn't break out until year 4. If you want an NT to produce this season, you sign a vet who's already gone up his learning curve.

And even with time, I don't really know if Mazi's ever going to be more than average. Good NTs disrupt plays in the backfield... he basically does nothing but Greco wrestle guards.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
This tape's been posted a lot before.

At 5:30 on this one, the Frogs go fire-on-fire and power run straight at Mazi 3 times. They convert all 3 plays, including a score.

I'm too lazy to look for time stamps, but Avila bullies him on the next drive too.

And there are a lot of NFL guards better than Steve Avila. Most are even stronger, with years of NFL weight training and NFL 'vitamins'.

I don't expect a lot of return for Mazi before year 3, cause that's just the nature of the NT beast. Derrick Brown and Vita Vea were two of the most absurdly strong college DTs I've ever seen, and both were very average as rookies. Dexter Lawrence didn't break out until year 4. If you want an NT to produce this season, you sign a vet who's already gone up his learning curve.

And even with time, I don't really know if Mazi's ever going to be more than average. Good NTs disrupt plays in the backfield... he basically does nothing but Greco wrestle guards.
Cz draft gurus always say the draft is about the future though so surely they won't bash Mazi year 1, right? Riiiiiiiiight

Status
Not open for further replies.