Mazi Smith's performance

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some good and some not so good. Exactly what should have been expected.

It's still way to early to make judgement about Mazi. There is a lot more TC and practice back in Dallas and 2 more preseason games.

Now if he still looks the same 3 weeks from now it will be a different conversation.

JBS

Reaction score

It's still way to early to make judgement about Mazi. There is a lot more TC and practice back in Dallas and 2 more preseason games.

Now if he still looks the same 3 weeks from now it will be a different conversation.
Yeah way too early. We only have 1 year and another training camp of crap play. That’s all.

GORICO

Reaction score
Reality---in all honesty i think we have enough good to very good to great players both sides of ball to be as competitive as we need but we have to develop

that clutch culture we had in 90's and 70's....lets quickly forget rams preseason game...almost 5 picks to 0 for them and we lost in last 4 seconds....but Dak has really developed

His footwork lightyears better since 2016....lets just sign him and CeeDee and Parsons and get a lot of very good players signed.....these waiting til last second makes players feel

unwanted and is stupid strategy for team building....so many teams will way over-pay for Dak if we let it ride into next season.....put Jerry in rehab and get him off the johnny Walker

label....we need good leadership...we have a couple areas of concern but every team does....we need leadership from players and coaches....we are much better than it seems in

my lowly opinion

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's just hard to imagine with a whole off-season of work with Zimmer's staff and him regaining his weight he hasn't improved considerably or that he's suddenly going to get a lot better in training camp.

To be clear, I hope that's true, but I worry this will end up another player they hold on to for 4 years driven by ego from drafting him in a high round before they finally move on from him.

RS12

Reaction score
It's just hard to imagine with a whole off-season of work with Zimmer's staff and him regaining his weight he hasn't improved considerably or that he's suddenly going to get a lot better in training camp.

To be clear, I hope that's true, but I worry this will end up another player they hold on to for 4 years driven by ego from drafting him in the first round before they finally move on from him.
This. A player typically makes his biggest improvement between year 1 and 2, there is maybe some improvement. The whole coaching and learning thing is a load of crap. He played DT at Michigan and was well coached for 3 years. One year of pro coaching. He still has issues with fundamentals after all this time. People act like he is a QB and learning a 3 inch thick playbook. Its proper and hand and footwork, read and react. Not nearly as complicated as some are making it out to be.

gtb1943

Reaction score
did not see the game; but enough people have said that he is still slow off the ball
Hard to see how that is going to change

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Another 1st round pick based on somes size a d athletic score that their college production didn't match. He's got time to become average before he's a free agent tho.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was not impressed, he had a good play where he sniffed out the screen pass, but he was still slow off the ball and seen him getting pushed back multiple times
Another Will McClay Stinker from the same school.
Hmmmmmm leads one to wonder what is sooooooooooooooooo sweet to Will about Michigan???
Mazi should be cut now. He is a waste of a roster spot.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Another Will McClay Stinker from the same school.
Hmmmmmm leads one to wonder what is sooooooooooooooooo sweet to Will about Michigan???
Mazi should be cut now. He is a waste of a roster spot.
Makes you wonder how long Harbaugh was stealing signs @ Michigan? I'm sure you would look like a #1 pick if you knew what the play was too....

Last edited: