Mazi Smith's performance

shabazz

Reaction score
He should. It’s not Luke’s fault this dumb team drafted him with Ferg on the team.
Agree but to be honest I don't thing Ferguson is holding Luke back as much as Luke is holding himself back.

Up to this point we are just looking for some normal progression from each of them but we're just not seeing it yet.

the light has to come on for at least one of them this season

Loso86

Reaction score
I was not impressed, he had a good play where he sniffed out the screen pass, but he was still slow off the ball and seen him getting pushed back multiple times
GUYS ITS THE FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME AND HE WASNT LINED UP NECT TO THE STARS HELP BE PLAYIMG WITH. Lol yall are crazy man smdh

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agree but to be honest I don't thing Ferguson is holding Luke back as much as Luke is holding himself back.

Up to this point we are just looking for some normal progression from each of them but we're just not seeing it yet.

the light has to come on for at least one of them this season
He will never live up to his draft status we’ve seen this before Martellus had to leave in order to live up to it. I don’t study his tape but I see no reason he couldn’t have a Schultz impact.

jwitten82

Reaction score
GUYS ITS THE FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME AND HE WASNT LINED UP NECT TO THE STARS HELP BE PLAYIMG WITH. Lol yall are crazy man smdh
What does any of that have to do with him being slow and getting pushed back? How is Micah and Dlaw gonna help him be faster and stronger?

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Fehoko(sp) looked bigger and better. Mazi got pushed around and looked slow. He has some power rush up the middle but he looks small and it’s just average push. He was double teamed most plays. Mazi was a mistake. He almost needs to drop 20 or 30 lbs and try as a DE behind Lawrence. The problem is they’re playing Kneeland behind Lawrence because they want Parsons as the Ware type RDE. They need another speedy sack guy not a bunch of slow power DT and DEs.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
By and large I thought Mazi looked pretty bad.

What really opened my eyes was how poor his effort was on a few pass rush snaps. He literally just quit playing on a few of them. Just completely unacceptable.

Not to mention that he still is stupid slow off the ball.

I think it’s pretty safe to say at this point that he’s probably not going to be a good one. Rarely does a player look this terrible to begin his career and end up being anything.

What a miss in the first round. Mazi is just a bad football player.

Last edited:

Loso86

Reaction score
What does any of that have to do with him being slow and getting pushed back? How is Micah and Dlaw gonna help him be faster and stronger?
He played well is whatnot referring too, he didn't look slow on every series

kskboys

Reaction score
Reality---in all honesty i think we have enough good to very good to great players both sides of ball to be as competitive as we need but we have to develop

that clutch culture we had in 90's and 70's....lets quickly forget rams preseason game...almost 5 picks to 0 for them and we lost in last 4 seconds....but Dak has really developed

His footwork lightyears better since 2016....lets just sign him and CeeDee and Parsons and get a lot of very good players signed.....these waiting til last second makes players feel

unwanted and is stupid strategy for team building....so many teams will way over-pay for Dak if we let it ride into next season.....put Jerry in rehab and get him off the johnny Walker

label....we need good leadership...we have a couple areas of concern but every team does....we need leadership from players and coaches....we are much better than it seems in

my lowly opinion
If you sign those 3 to what they want, you won't be able to get a lot of very good players signed.

heir

Reaction score
Mazi actually looked good to me, at least compared to last year. He was NOT slow off the ball despite what people have said and he did HIS job. Took on double teams, clogged running lanes and made tackles. I feel the rest of the d-line was horrid. Fehoko looked really bad and whoever played the 3 tech was getting pushed around by single blocks. At some points he did look like the fatigue got to him but I don't expect my 1-tech to be playing on passing downs like they and him do tonight. All that being said, he still isn't a great pick for a 1st rounder.

quickccc

Reaction score
This was a questionable pick to begin with and I wonder how much Quinn and his defensive system was the driving force behind the pick.
Not me, ..at that time of the NFL draft, I was on board with drafting supposedly regarded the best run stuffing one tech DT in the NFL draft.
And a young, heir apparent 1 tech was what we needed.

DT gems seem to be much harder to find than an interior OG.

And according to the video feed we observed in the Cowboys war room at the time Mazi was drafted, it seemed to come down
to what Wil MCClay suggested the more of, as opposed to Dan Quinn.

If anything, I'd put the Nashon Wright pick on both Quinn, and McClay for using a valued 3rd rd pick to try to please Quinn.

rambo2

Reaction score
I was not impressed, he had a good play where he sniffed out the screen pass, but he was still slow off the ball and seen him getting pushed back multiple times
He looks like he might become a usefull player.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Mazi was supposed to be this athletic freak that had tremendous power and was a great run stuffing DT in last year’s draft class

So far— none of that has materialized. If he can’t display power vs NFL backups, he is simply not what anyone thought he was when he was drafted.

The question is why? He has been an enigma since being drafted. Is it mental? Is it motivational? Is it physical?

If we are having to try and coax, coddle, and convince a player to try and play at an NFL caliber level, we are better off cutting him if he doesn’t show anything this preseason.

Move on and make him a cautionary tale for other young players to learn from.

Depending on unreliable people to perform and produce is a horrid roster building strategy.

Praxit

Reaction score
.I actually thought he did alright. Clogging lanes and stepping up getting push towards QB.
Will see what goes next week.