Mazi's allergic reaction was to peanuts, not milk

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Despite their being a thread about his allergy, there sure are a lot of posters who seem confused about it.

Here is from Mickey Spagnola https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mick-shots-heading-home-with-youthful-enthusiasm to hopefully clear that up:

While last year's first-round pick Mazi Smith missed the preseason game against the Raiders, suffering an allergic reaction to a protein shake laced with a peanut product, he was back working hard this week and resuming his spot at defensive tackle with the first team during Tuesday's practice. The kid is working hard and on his conditioning too. There he was on Monday after the team's walk-through practice, doing a running exercise with Parsons and Osa Odighizuwa. The threesome would sprint five yards and back, another five yards and back, all the way down the field for 100 yards. And on the last five, Mazi burst into the lead. "For me, I felt like I can really step up and be a leader," Micah said of his role in the post-practice running exercise. "I need to build up the people around me." Sounds as if someone is maturing.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Despite their being a thread about his allergy, there sure are a lot of posters who seem confused about it.

Here is from Mickey Spagnola https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mick-shots-heading-home-with-youthful-enthusiasm to hopefully clear that up:

While last year's first-round pick Mazi Smith missed the preseason game against the Raiders, suffering an allergic reaction to a protein shake laced with a peanut product, he was back working hard this week and resuming his spot at defensive tackle with the first team during Tuesday's practice. The kid is working hard and on his conditioning too. There he was on Monday after the team's walk-through practice, doing a running exercise with Parsons and Osa Odighizuwa. The threesome would sprint five yards and back, another five yards and back, all the way down the field for 100 yards. And on the last five, Mazi burst into the lead. "For me, I felt like I can really step up and be a leader," Micah said of his role in the post-practice running exercise. "I need to build up the people around me." Sounds as if someone is maturing.
That makes a lot more sense. Glad he is okay!

DallasInDC

Reaction score
As someone who nearly died on two separate occasions due to anaphylaxis (for two different reactions...wasp venom and a soy allergy). I can truly appreciate the severity of allergic reactions and would never doubt how it could happen to someone. I hope doesn't have to experience that again.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did he not know the item had peanuts in it, did he check the label, was he forced to eat it???? Got to be more careful big fella. I mean we know you don't like football, and that you like to HIT peanuts instead of people! :facepalm:

lkelly

Reaction score
charliebrown.gif

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mazi Smith situation was far worse than I had imagined. Thankfully, he has recovered and returned to practice.

From now on, I will be on the lookout reading threads about Smith. No one knows when Charlie Brown (or even Snoopy) might appear... :omg:

nobody

Reaction score
Did he not know the item had peanuts in it, did he check the label, was he forced to eat it???? Got to be more careful big fella. I mean we know you don't like football, and that you like to HIT peanuts instead of people! :facepalm:
That's the thing about allergies. They can get worse as you get older. So he might not have had a noticeable reaction when eating peanuts or peanut butter as a kid and didn't know he was allergic...then he got older and it got worse.

A couple of my allergies definitely got worse as I aged. He might just not have known.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So is his nickname gonna be Soyboy or Peanut?

Oh wait! The HotSoyBoys!

Last edited:

gtb1943

Reaction score
What about those quotes that he was allergic to milk?
supposedly his own words?

phildadon86

Reaction score
That's bs. He has been working hard all through camp.
Shame the scouting dept wasnt working hard pre draft to select someone else that would actually be an impact player.

I dont expect you to say anything against this FO though. You agreed with the Schoonmaker pick as well as the Smith pick.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well yeah I'm glad he's OK but why is this a story the man had a allergic reaction missed a preseason game he's OK now why is it still a story it doesn't matter how and if he knows he has this kind of allergy that can pop up anytime I mean how is he supposed to avoid his teammates who may have just eaten something with peanut base oil in it of any kind and he touches them or he goes and make a tackle on a guy how how are you supposed to avoid this? A lot of players on the sideline eat what we call energy bars most energy bars I know have lots of peanuts or peanut based oil or something in them that's part of the upside of them for instant energy...

I mean can you get an EPI pen shot on the sideline during a game and be back?

rambo2

Reaction score
Lol, yeah. So much hard work for a sport he doesn’t like. You are completely delusional.
You are ignorant and spreading bs. It has been reported numerous times that Mazi Smith has been working hard in camp. You are making stuff up.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
You are ignorant and spreading bs. It has been reported numerous times that Mazi Smith has been working hard in camp. You are making stuff up.
Are you sure?

Please stop being so snowflake and do some reading. I will save this post and remind you once Mr Smith is benched then cut.

rambo2

Reaction score
Are you sure?

Please stop being so snowflake and do some reading. I will save this post and remind you once Mr Smith is benched then cut.

You do that. He has been working hard. You don't have to make up lies.