MB and Choice

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'm very happy TC is doing so well. He's got what it takes to play in this league.

But to say he's better than MB is just not realistic. Barber has a near unique lateral jump move that is very effective. Not just me saying that. He's known around the league for that and his tough running style.

Choice brings something else to the table. I think it's premature to annoint him the better runner though.

superpunk

Reaction score
If you see people saying that, you should probably just ignore them. :)

Right now Choice is obviously more effective. Barber can't run, plant, or cut. So big surprise, Choice is more effective. The fact is, we've got a great trio of backs, when they're healthy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jobberone;2495953 said:
I'm very happy TC is doing so well. He's got what it takes to play in this league.

But to say he's better than MB is just not realistic. Barber has a near unique lateral jump move that is very effective. Not just me saying that. He's known around the league for that and his tough running style.

Choice brings something else to the table. I think it's premature to annoint him the better runner though.

As far as I'm concerned a 100% Barber is the man but until Barber is back to 100% I lean more towards Choice getting the majority of carries.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
They are different type RBs.

MB3 is a warrior, but it's very obvious why a lot of people like Herb Arkush of PFW were so high on Choice before the draft. Herb said it was our best selection of the draft.

Taking nothing away from MB3, (who I love), but I believe Choice has better natural running skills. Watch him between the tackles. He is extremely talented. He also is a very natural receiver, much like MB3.

We are blessed to have all of them at RB.

goshan

Reaction score
I think when Barber comes back 100%, they should split carries.
They have complimentary skills and are very different backs.

dallas_112678

Reaction score
I think the biggest difference between the 2 is TC's quickness. His acceleration and quickness is maddening. Some of those long screen and draw plays are just plays that i dont think Barber could have done. Not a knock on Barber just TC is very good in those situations.

heavyg

Reaction score
Now that Choice has shown what he can do. How do we spread the ball around next year when we have MB3, Jones and Choice. I guess that is a good problem to have :bow:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Choice gets more positive yards and he's quicker. It's a matter of preference at this point for some...

Ren

Reaction score
Choice does not dance around so much he waits for his blocks then hits the whole hard

VCDefectors

Benched
Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to see Barber move back into the kind of role he played last year. He is much more effective coming off the bench and wearing out defenses in the 4th quarter.

Choice, to me, is clearly the more natural runner. And even though the popular sentiment is Barber being our feature back, I don't see how we can leave the talented Choice on the sidelines and only give him a few carries a game. It would be a big waste, IMO.

Man, I can't wait to see what a Barber, Choice, And Felix Jones trio will look like next year.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Barber is an accomplished player who's been to a Pro Bowl. It doesn't take anything away from Barber to say that Choice is a better runner, it just says a lot about Choice.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well I can understand why everyone is so high on Choice. He is a good back. But it's too premature to say he's a better back and that MB should be sent back to backup status to close games.

How soon we forget how well MB is running the ball. He doesn't just run over people. He has a very unique running style that has a lot of our opponents coaches saying how good the guy is.

Hey, I'm as happy as anyone that we have three very good RBs. I just need to see more before I say he's a better pure runner, better running back or he deserves to be the starter over MB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Choice just has better vision and a little bit more burst through the hole. But nobody in the league is as good as Barber at getting away from the initial contact.

newlander

Reaction score
Good posts: BTW: Emmitt was right about MB3: he can and will start getting down and running out of bounds more. He's too valuable to have this banged up. I'm confident it won't be much of a problem from now on though with the two kids we have backing him up.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
I think Barber is a very good RB and a great "closer"
I think Choice seems to be a very good RB and a good "closer"
So split the carries and keep them fresh.

VCDefectors

Benched
Reaction score
newlander;2496357 said:
Good posts: BTW: Emmitt was right about MB3: he can and will start getting down and running out of bounds more. He's too valuable to have this banged up. I'm confident it won't be much of a problem from now on though with the two kids we have backing him up.

The problem with Emmitt's theory is that transforming Barber into a full-time feature back exposes some weaknesses in Barber's game. He isn't quick like Choice or like Emmitt was in his prime. Barber also doesn't always exude niftiness. When you limit Barber's carries or play him as the cleanup, change of pace guy, he can play with that reckless abandonment and smashmouth style that makes him so special. A tradeoff I suppose, but I do believe that Barber needs to play with that aggressiveness in order to produce and be a gamechanger.

With the RBs we have (especially when Felix returns), there's really no reason to put Barber in an Emmitt-style role.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
VCDefectors;2496127 said:
Personally, I'd like to see Barber move back into the kind of role he played last year. He is much more effective coming off the bench and wearing out defenses in the 4th quarter.

Choice, to me, is clearly the more natural runner. And even though the popular sentiment is Barber being our feature back, I don't see how we can leave the talented Choice on the sidelines and only give him a few carries a game. It would be a big waste, IMO.

Man, I can't wait to see what a Barber, Choice, And Felix Jones trio will look like next year.

absolutely perfect answer....

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
VCDefectors;2496390 said:
The problem with Emmitt's theory is that transforming Barber into a full-time feature back exposes some weaknesses in Barber's game. He isn't quick like Choice or like Emmitt was in his prime. Barber also doesn't always exude niftiness. When you limit Barber's carries or play him as the cleanup, change of pace guy, he can play with that reckless abandonment and smashmouth style that makes him so special. A tradeoff I suppose, but I do believe that Barber needs to play with that aggressiveness in order to produce and be a gamechanger.

With the RBs we have (especially when Felix returns), there's really no reason to put Barber in an Emmitt-style role.

First I really don't care who get the rock as long as they are productive.

I just don't agree that Choice is a better back right now. I might be proven wrong because we don't have a large body of evidence that Choice is better. I would agree he has burst and he has been productive. And it's obvious that right now he needs to get the ball over an injured MB.

I think MB has a fairly unique move that makes him so dangerous. He has that lateral jump move that then translates into vertical motion. And it gets him open a lot.

It will be interesting to see how MB and Choice move the ball when both are well. I'd think they will give Choice more carries. Now what they will do early next year when all three backs are ready to go. Nice problem to have.

parchy

Reaction score
Why did it take them this long to implement Choice like this? That's my question. He was nowhere to be found before a few weeks ago, and we could have been using him this whole time.

gazmc_06

Reaction score
I love Choice, the guy can run the ball. He's got that speed as well as drive to get extra yards. I would like to see Choice play the role Julius did last season and let Barber come in and run the game out.