McCarthy is better than people giving him credit for

Rayman70

Reaction score
:) They just failed to progress! ... and with Mr. Rodgers - It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood!:thumbup:
my question is, was Rodgers coachable enough? GREAT QB...but MAYBE..just MAYBE, he bears part of the blame in GB too. How many times did he just freelance and ignore MM? I am guessing,more than we know.

Hadenough

Reaction score
My friends who are Packers fans all think McCarthy is a good coach, it was just time for them to move on.
Yeah my friends who arent even Cowboy fans even think it was good hire. For years they have been ribbing me every Sunday saying Jason Garrett has to go. At this point I actually like that McCarthy is able to hire his own staff. This is exactly what I wanted to see happen.

ghst187

Reaction score
I'm firmly in the camp that JG was a terrible coach. His insistence on simplicity and lack of gameplanning/adjustments was mind blowing. Sure, the execution is important but its just part of it.

If MM is just an average coach, it will be a big upgrade. A good coach would be nearly incomprehensible to the fans who are new to the Cowboys and have only seen JG.

well said and spot on!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Stat saying he went to the playoffs in 9 of his 13 years there is not correct at all! 2 of those 13 Rodgers missed almost half the season

bottomline: When McCarthy has his qb upright, he made the playoffs 9 out of 11 times. That’s pretty darn good
Who is discrediting McCarthy? The stat is the stat and it's like any other stat, it does not tell the whole story.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Plus Coach MM and Rodgers HATED each other with a passion.
And thus Big Mac was fired. Cry baby Rodgers always gets his way. Would love to see GB on our schedule this year in Dallas. Dak beat Wodger's in his rookie season in GB. Wodger's owns Dallas at AT&T.

Tidbit: Big Mac's record @ AT&T 4-0

When McCarthy has his qb upright, he made the playoffs 9 out of 11 times. That’s pretty darn good
Ignore the Hate! :thumbup:

Reaction score
Insufficient information given that his head coaching tenure never included an average QB and the Packers enjoyed an extended honeymoon with the officiating crews. There will be additional headwinds in Dallas for him to contend with.

irving

Reaction score
If Garrett can win 8 games with a average quarterback, wonder how many McCarthy can win? since he’s considered to be a much better coach than Garrett.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
One reason Mike was so successful in GB, outside of being a good coach and Rogers, was the division always sucked. Our division sucks. Say hello playoffs!
That's how the Cheateriots always won the division. Only this time it finally caught up to them being they had to play an over .500 team in the playoffs. :lmao:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's how the Cheateriots always won the division. Only this time it finally caught up to them being they had to play an over .500 team in the playoffs. :lmao:

Really, your going to discredit a team that has appeared in 11 Super Bowls since 2001? The regular season is only a stepping stone to the playoffs which is the only thing that matters. How a team performs in the playoffs is the measure of that team. The patriots were devoid of offensive weapons this year. They had no legit #1 WR or RB or TE. Its a testament to their defense that they somehow won 12 games. Considering we lost to every team we played in their division and ourselves play in what has been the weakest division in football for years. not sure how a cowboy fan can poke fun at the Patriots and be taken seriously.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Having played and been beaten by McCarthy and this included game mgmt and challenges as key factors no one in Cowboys Nation should be questioning his coaching skills.

JG was out-coached far less often late in his tenure but McCarthy still did it plenty.
This is a far cry from promoting a mediocre OC to Head Coach because you think it is manifest destiny.

The single head coach in Cowboys history who was more proven and better positioned walking in was Bill Parcells.
And Bill had to to a head to toe complete overhaul.

Silly

Reaction score
I wonder how much Jerry's wildcat/SPARQ draft strategy hurt Jason's career? Think about all the wasted picks. It was clear Jason needed more talent, but the cupboard was bare. MM can help the team just by drafting smarter.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Cowboys fans have been bamboozled for a decade. Wake up people! Garrett is and never was an NFL HC. We're about to see what a true HC can do with talented players

I completely agree with this statement! Garrett was in over his head since day 1

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Stat saying he went to the playoffs in 9 of his 13 years there is not correct at all! 2 of those 13 Rodgers missed almost half the season

bottomline: When McCarthy has his qb upright, he made the playoffs 9 out of 11 times. That’s pretty darn good
you are drinking the kool aid I assume.... I am not....show me the trophy, then I will eat crow

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
LaFleur has a different GM than McCarthy had.

The new GM made it clear that the Head Coach is the boss over the QB...
They also spent a truckload of money on defensive FAs, something they never did when MM was there.