Twitter: McCarthy is off to a damn good job assembling coaching staff

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The Rams punter Johnny Hekker passed the ball on fake punts more than any other punter in recent history. I wouldn't mind seeing our special teams trying a few trick plays now and then.
do you think the special teams coach was the one making the call to do that, or the head coach?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Coaching matters more Monday-Saturday relative to when you’ll have an advantage. Every play call is designed to work on both sides. But it’s instilling the idea of discipline and telling Dak what to look for if the defense comes out in a certain look. It’s like teachers preparing students for a test.

Also hopefully the position coaches hammer details like catching and tackling. That was the biggest reason we lost games IMO. It wasn’t X’s and O’s. Although I am excited to see a more aggressive defense schematically.
and you dont think our coaches were emphasizing catching and tackling? cmon

Reid1boys

Reaction score
1000% sure this won't be an issue with THIS staff. Letting Mike choose his own staff, Jerry is sending a message to players this will now be McCarthy's team going forward. The buck stops there.......

This HC will not hesitate to hold EVERY PLAYER accountable every week. Contracts, pro bowl status won't mean a damn with him if you're not doing your job. Remember he sent Brett Favra packing.......
discipline? I dont have all the numbers, but were we at the bottom of the pack in penalties? How is it you discipline these players? With the exception of Billy Boy, because I know he is the fall back that every person on this forum goes to when they want to make a point, name me 4 coaches that you feel do a great job of disciplining their players into playing better?

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Good job ........we are already a better team IMO

I agree. McCarthy will immediately make this team better. Comparing him to Garrett as some on this board have done is ridiculous. I think the thing I am most excited for is the John Fassel hiring. Our special teams were historically atrocious last year, so it should be a pretty easy fix. I wonder how many more wins we could have had last year if we had a good special teams unit. I would say at least 2

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
and you dont think our coaches were emphasizing catching and tackling? cmon
Of course they were but discipline wasn’t drilled into them for it to become habit under pressure. It’s easy to do it on practice field. It’s another thing to do it under the lights.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But what if Mike gets Zeke super involved in the passing game? We all know Zeke can catch & do it all.

If he does that, then it will pretty much be the Offense I am used to seeing from him but, the issue is not production. I don't know how many times I have to say this. It's about the contract.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Of course they were but discipline wasn’t drilled into them for it to become habit under pressure. It’s easy to do it on practice field. It’s another thing to do it under the lights.
so if you emphasize it in practice and they dont do it. How would one go about doing it with discipline so that they do do it?

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Tomsula..... fired after 1 season by niners
Fassel....uhm, according to wikipedia, he developer a punter and kicker
Nolan.....in his 3.5 years as head coach he avg about 4 wins

Im not saying these guys cant coach, im saying they will not be the reason we win or lose games. It is hilarious to me to see the excitement. Im all for excitement, but the real reason is because it is not JG. Its like the shiny new toy. All that excitement will be just like when Moore took over the offense. By week 8 or so, how great was the new toy working out?

Dak will be the reason we win or lose. We lost multiple games that were very close. 2 more plays in each game by dak, and we are probable 11-5 or 12-4.
Change two more plays in any game and it’s likely a different outcome. That’s not the way it works

Noticed you can’t find any good in Nolan. If you have seen some of his defenses over the years I don’t know how you could have a meh attitude towards him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Change two more plays in any game and it’s likely a different outcome. That’s not the way it works

Noticed you can’t find any good in Nolan. If you have seen some of his defenses over the years I don’t know how you could have a meh attitude towards him.
so you think nolan is just going to out scheme and play call our opponent to the tune of turning our defense into a legit stiffling defense? Sorry, I just dont share those beliefs. Im not saying he doesnt know his stuff.... but you telling me most defensive coordinators dont knwo their stuff? Im thinking a coach with ray lewis or reggie white all of the sudden knows their stuff more than their opponent....lol

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
so if you emphasize it in practice and they dont do it. How would one go about doing it with discipline so that they do do it?
That is what separates good coaches from great coaches. The Patriots don’t miss many open field tackles. It was a shock when Edelman dropped balls Saturday.

basilhayden

Reaction score
Mike Nolan!! Every fans board that hired a new coach is optimistic, heck even the Giants board. But anybody that thinks this retread, kicked around, never was, just wont leave member of the coaching fraternity is a good hire either doesnt follow the NFL or has a screw loose.

The head coaching hire was mmeehh, Nolan makes it a bad hire. You dont know badly coached yet...but tick..tick...tick you will!

Garrett housekeeping staff isn't welcome on this board...

Rayman70

Reaction score
Garrett gonna have trouble getting hired as a "merry maid" lol

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
The Nolan and tomsulsa hires also have me intrigued.

Washington has been pretty stout in the middle and I hope we get someone like their bama boys.

The scheme change excites me.

The stale voices in the room, the nicknames, the body type specific characteristic's we look for. The loyalties to players you've coached for 10 years.

A lot to look forward to this season imo.
The Nolan hire is the one I'm least excited about.....hope I'm wrong

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
]Jerry, here's the new Rowdy...
PUQITtV.png
[/IMG]

Last edited: