Twitter: McCarthy on Dak

mattjames2010

Reaction score

I will argue against it

Again, if your "data" has Trubisky top 3 it is fundamentally flawed. It's also lazy and confirmation bias. Nobody on this board ever referenced ESPN QBR before this season. Not a single person.

Trubisky was not top 5 last year, nor was Winston top 10 last year. Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't top 10 this year, and Dak wasn't top 5. It's a flawed at it's core, and you need to watch some football games outside of the Cowboys.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Not sure what games you were watching. Here are the last 8 games of 2019:

Minnesota first half - Passed 23 times, ran 13 times (36.11%): Dak ended with 46 attempts. Losing at half and we lost 24-28

Detroit first half - Passed 25 times, ran 13 times (34.2%): Dak ended with 46 attempts. Winning at half and won 35-27

NE first half - Passed 12 times, ran 17 times (58.6%) - During our two first half scores we ran the ball 12 times (to 4 passes). The rest of the half was 8 passes and 5 runs (38.4): Dak ended with 33 attempts. Losing at the half, lost 9-13.

Buffalo first half - Passed 21 times, ran 15 times (41.6%) : Dak ended with 49 attempts. Losing at the half and lost 15-26

Chicago first half - Passed 15 times, ran 16 times (51.6%) - we ran the ball 10 times on our first drive (to 2 passes) leading to our only score of the first half... After that drive: 13 passes, 6 runs (36.1%): Dak ended up with 49 attempts. Losing at half and lost 24-31

LA first half - Passed 16 times, ran 24 times (60%): Dak ended up with 23 attempts. Winning at the half and won 44-21

Phi first half - Passed 18 times, ran 6 times (25%): Dak ended up with 44 attempts. Losing at the half and lost 9-17

Was first half - Passed 17 times, ran 17 times (50%): Dak ended up with 33 attempts. Winning at the half and won 47-16.

With the exception of the Detroit game, the exact opposite of what you said happened. Each game we were below 40% running in the first half we ended the half down. We scored a TD against the Bears by running the ball on the first drive 10 times, then basically abandoned the run (6 more rushing attempts the rest of the half). Our two scores against NE in the first half were on predominantly rushing oriented drives and passed more than 60% on the stalled drives.

The games we won against the Rams and the Commanders our run-to-pass ratio was at least 50% and both of those ended in blow outs.

We lost to most of those teams because we either abandoned the run or just decided to pass more than 60% of the time in the first half. This directly led to Dak having to pass more in the 2nd half. All of the games listed where Dak threw 40 or more attempts we actually rushed less than 40% in the first half.

Keep in mind I am not blaming Dak. Far from it. But we are better when we are balanced or leaning towards rushing first. The results from the 2nd half of the season show that when we became pass happy and abandon the run (for whatever reason) it usually put us in a hole at the half.
Always love when you claim victory by ignoring half the season. Should also point out that in one of those games Dak converted double digit 3rd and 10+.

pansophy

Reaction score
I will argue against it

Again, if your "data" has Trubisky top 3 it is fundamentally flawed. It's also lazy and confirmation bias. Nobody on this board ever referenced ESPN QBR before this season. Not a single person.

Trubisky was not top 5 last year, nor was Winston top 10 last year. Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't top 10 this year, and Dak wasn't top 5. It's a flawed at it's core, and you need to watch some football games outside of the Cowboys.
Bears were 12-4 last year. Yes QBs are helped by having better talent around them and so QBR will go up if the offense as a whole is playing better, but you still have to have a QB that can execute and play at a high level. We've had plenty of QBs around here that haven't been able to do much of anything. Romo would go down and the season was over.

Tough to have the production Dak had this year and say he is backup quality. His accuracy was much better this year when healthy, and there was an obvious reason for the improvement in his mechanics changing. Had that not been the case I'd probably still have questions about Dak, but I mean at some point you have to ask what's actually reality. You've got Brees, Rodgers, and Wilson who are consistently great. Brady is aging despite what he says.

Who else is truly elite year in and year out other than those 3 (I'm open to have missing somebody)? Should all 25+ teams bail on their QB and try to get the first pick in the draft? Free agent QBs are expensive, but that's because there are so few good ones. At what point is a QB good enough to win?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
anything they can think of. It doesnt take 4 seasons to determine if a guy is a franchise QB
It doesn't How long does it take? Because it took 4 for Russell.....took 4 for Ben R......took 4 for Brady and Brees......

How long do you take to determine if a guy is a franchise qb?

I think after 1 year when he had the best rookie campaign of any quarterback they knew then he was their franchise qb. Just because a few fans on the internet questioned it doesn't make it true lol.

blindzebra

Reaction score
So when Dak is still the same average QB this time next year, what will the excuse be?
That a big part of our fan base has no clue about just how good he is, when a QB that threw for almost 5K yards and 30 TDs is called average.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Bears were 12-4 last year. Yes QBs are helped by having better talent around them and so QBR will go up if the offense as a whole is playing better, but you still have to have a QB that can execute and play at a high level. We've had plenty of QBs around here that haven't been able to do much of anything. Romo would go down and the season was over.

Tough to have the production Dak had this year and say he is backup quality. His accuracy was much better this year when healthy, and there was an obvious reason for the improvement in his mechanics changing. Had that not been the case I'd probably still have questions about Dak, but I mean at some point you have to ask what's actually reality. You've got Brees, Rodgers, and Wilson who are consistently great. Brady is aging despite what he says.

Who else is truly elite year in and year out other than those 3 (I'm open to have missing somebody)? Should all 25+ teams bail on their QB and try to get the first pick in the draft? Free agent QBs are expensive, but that's because there are so few good ones. At what point is a QB good enough to win?

The ENTIRE criticism last year was that the Bears defense was elite with garbage QB play. Go talk to a Bears fan with an IQ above room temperature what they thought of Trubisky. And what a freakin' shocker, when the Bears D wasn't playing at an elite level, Trubisky looked like one of the worst QBs in the league this year.

Again, if your formula has a QB like Trubisky top 3 in the league, the formula is flawed. QBR, and even PFF, struggle with the context of a game/situation. When I got on a list and see Fitzpatrick and Derek Carr in the top 10 or near the top 10, yet I see Aaron Rodgers behind both of them along with Winston and multiple other scrub QBs, it's laughable.

Knock it off with the confirmation bias because you struggle to analyze the game yourself. Trying to turn this board into Skip Bayless trash isn't going to work.

pansophy

Reaction score
The ENTIRE criticism last year was that the Bears defense was elite with garbage QB play. Go talk to a Bears fan with an IQ above room temperature what they thought of Trubisky. And what a freakin' shocker, when the Bears D wasn't playing at an elite level, Trubisky looked like one of the worst QBs in the league this year.

Again, if your formula has a QB like Trubisky top 3 in the league, the formula is flawed. QBR, and even PFF, struggle with the context of a game/situation. When I got on a list and see Fitzpatrick and Derek Carr in the top 10 or near the top 10, yet I see Aaron Rodgers behind both of them along with Winston and multiple other scrub QBs, it's laughable.

Knock it off with the confirmation bias because you struggle to analyze the game yourself. Trying to turn this board into Skip Bayless trash isn't going to work.
Okay, you're right. Who do you get that's better?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Exactly. What coach has ever had a press conference and said you know what our starting qb is dog expletive? I don’t even get the logic of OP posting that junk like it means something. What else was he going to say?
He could have answered as he did every other question...with no real answer. “It’s too early for assessments till I meet with players and have a staff in place.” He gushed about Dak instead of saying things like, he ran the top offense or he was effective.

Some guys won’t believe anything until Dak is signed to a 5-6 year contract.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
As a Dak stan I endorse this. Romo should've had the same.
None of us are there, but even when Romo was the starter, we all heard then and sense that Dak pushes himself.

InTheZone

Reaction score
this year will give us every answer about Dak. I'm excited about moving forward, whoever that is at QB. If Dak can't we find someone else.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
He could have answered as he did every other question...with no real answer. “It’s too early for assessments till I meet with players and have a staff in place.” He gushed about Dak instead of saying things like, he ran the top offense or he was effective.

Some guys won’t believe anything until Dak is signed to a 5-6 year contract.
Spare me if he answer a generic question the same way with the qb some people would be talking. Try that okey doke logic on someone else.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Okay, you're right. Who do you get that's better?

In my original post the best move is to franchise Prescott and see if he takes that next step with McCarthy who is known as a QB guru with a resume to back it up. I don't know how McCarthy will do for the entire team, I do know that he will get the best out of Dak. If Dak doesn't make a big jump, I wouldn't pay him the money he was reported to want and I'd move on.

I'd personally bring in a guy like Mariota in terms of veterans. It would offer competition for Dak, but if Dak flops, you have a guy that got the Titans to 9-7 in back to back seasons and to the playoffs. This isn't drastically different than what we get with Prescott. This also doesn't keep you from looking for a QB in the draft. I wanted Teddy Bridgewater for the same reason a couple years ago.