Twitter: McCarthy on letting the clock run down to :03

jujoboys

Reaction score
I would have thrown another pass in the end zone with 8 seconds but I understand why he did not. The time management issue I had on that drive was when Dak hit Gallup on the 11 yard pass to the Chargers' 37 yard line and we did not take a timeout immediately after that play. That would have saved us about 17 seconds. Instead of being 2nd and 10 at the 14 with 1 timeout and 8 seconds we could have been there with no timeouts and 25 seconds on the clock. Could have easily made 2 throws into the end zone.

conner01

Reaction score
Considering we won by 3, maybe it was best he didn't get cute and just took the 3.
Maybe, but by that thinking you should have kicked the FG on both 4th downs but that would have not worked out.
It wasn’t the run down from the 8 to 3 I didn’t like as much as not using a TO when Gallup caught his pass. Then you had lots of time. The result either way could still have been a FG though. You never know

conner01

Reaction score
I would have thrown another pass in the end zone with 8 seconds but I understand why he did not. The time management issue I had on that drive was when Dak hit Gallup on the 11 yard pass to the Chargers' 37 yard line and we did not take a timeout immediately after that play. That would have saved us about 17 seconds. Instead of being 2nd and 10 at the 14 with 1 timeout and 8 seconds we could have been there with no timeouts and 25 seconds on the clock. Could have easily made 2 throws into the end zone.
Exactly. That was the error. The 8 to 3 is somewhat understandable even though I’d have taken a shot
But to not call the TO after the Gallup catch ran a bunch of time off

conner01

Reaction score
Or he didn't trust the OL and rightfully so. He'd been aggressive already and dind't like the results.
I get that. But you tell the QB take one look and if it’s not there throw it away. At 8 sec I get his decision even though I would have taken one shot. The failure was before on the Gallup catch

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I get that. But you tell the QB take one look and if it’s not there throw it away. At 8 sec I get his decision even though I would have taken one shot. The failure was before on the Gallup catch
Dak isn’t very adept at throwing the ball away though. He could have just as easily scrambled 8 seconds to a sack…..or interception. Take the easy three since they didn’t get it earlier.

Proof

Reaction score
oh, absolutely. i was surprised, I just take his explanation at face value even if I don't agree.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't hate this as much as most everyone else.
Probably because I watched both Dallas and SD turn it over on downs in the RZ in the game.

I know folks hate Field Goals in 2023 but Dallas won this game by a Field Goal.
8 seconds is right there on the dividing line. You gotta go to the End Zone and trust a WR to knock tip it.
We have a bad TE group and running wasn't an option at all.

It wasn't exactly brave but it wasn't terrible. Take the points and the lead.

js66

Reaction score
I was blown away when he did that.... 95% of the coaches out there wouldn't do that. This defense isn't historic good, we can't take a 3 point lead into the second half on the road and think we're good...

We are inside the 15 yard line with 8 seconds and a time out. It was a 32 yard field goal. An offside makes it 37, even a holding call is a 42 yard field goal... not a gimme but you don't try the endzone first? Even a 5 yard out pattern, which they most likely hand you, if you're so concerned about getting this field goal.

He's still getting hammered for his clock management in the past, Dak sliding with no timeouts etc so now he's worried about walking away with no points. He didn't think enough of Dak to manage the clock and make the safe through or right decision either. Snap the ball, survey the defense and look for a blown coverage, defender falling or just wide open receiver. It's not there, toss it in the stands. A $40M QB should be able to do that...

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
give him a break, look at his eyes. He's looking in two different directions he couldn't even see the clock. sheesh fans smh