Twitter: McCarthy on letting the clock run down to :03

FVSTONE

Reaction score

MM has to go! You can't coach and play scared in the NFL and some of the play calls were just plain horrible! It seemed like it was 2nd and 10 with MM calling for run plays straight up the gut which left 3rd and 7 or 8 all night long! What happen to the Texas Coast Offense, little flare passes to the back and let him get outside and pick up some yardage, but no let's run it up the middle for little or no yardage ALL NIGHT LONG! MM is coaching scared and it's showing in the lousy offense we all witnessed last night.

Flinger

Reaction score
That's because MM knows he doesn't have any redzone routes in his playbook far enough to reach the endzone from the 3, so they could come up short with no timeouts remaining... lol

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
To me the 8 sec down to 3 wasn’t the mistake. The not calling TO when Gallup was ruled forward progress with around 40 sec
I mean I agree with you, but both decisions are the same.

They were playing for a field goal as time expired. That's a stupid thing to do, but the decision to do that was made well before the Gallup play.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Incomplete trust in your QB and complete coaching failure that you haven’t practiced a play for that situation enough to have the faith in your offense to execute it.
Exactly. Bad coaching or not, he signaled to all that he did not trust his QB (and the rest of the offense) with another snap in that situation.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
It was. But it was still bad clock management
I think everyone wanted MM to take the timeout and try to get the ball in the endzone. Maybe they are right, but we had already failed once. He did not ask for the clock to be stopped at 8 seconds because he had already decided to run it down to 3 and kick the field goal. I guess that's his choice as the coach.

Hey, I wanted him to take the points before and he did not. Who am I? Just a couch coach hoping my team wins. MM's clock management skills have never been great.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I didn't like the conservative approach but I understand the logic, the team wasn't playing disciplined football and he didn't want to risk a turnover or a negative play/flag that could have taken them out of field goal position.
A turnover was the only real risk though. A penalty wasn't taking them out of FG range. Certainly not if they were serious about Aubrey kicking the one he lined up for a few games ago. Like 60 something yards. You had a timeout just in case something weird happened.

If you are that scared of your QB, he shouldn't be playing. And since you're the HC you have no excuses if he's in the game.

Shane612

Reaction score
This is the way MM will play with Prescott as his QB, take only necessary chances and hope the defense plays well.
To Dak's credit he didn't throw an INT. For Dak that is a good day.

J12B

Reaction score
I was at the game. All the Cowboys fans around me were confused as well.

This will be Mike's last year in Dallas.

mardwin

Reaction score
This is the way MM will play with Prescott as his QB, take only necessary chances and hope the defense plays well.
To Dak's credit he didn't throw an INT. For Dak that is a good day.
He didn't have many passes down the middle of the field unless he was rolling to his right.