McCarthy on tripping penalty, second-down throw

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
“I think the tape, clearly, you probably saw it when they showed it on the replay,” Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Monday, via Schuyler Dixon of the Associated Press. “The penalty clearly, in our view, really clearly flipped the situation. You’re first-and-10 on the [29]-yard line there when we took the turnover. We’re second-and-[3] with a running clock, so that takes out their second timeout. Now you’re in the position, because you clearly want to be inside the 30. I clearly understand how good Brandon [Aubrey] is kicking the ball, but there’s also field position concerns on both sides of that kick.”

“The second-down play is just the real disappointment,” McCarthy said, continuing his explanation about how the tripping penalty put the Cowboys in a hole. “Whether it’s the communication from my end, we just weren’t clean. We got what we were expecting defensively and were trying to hit the individual cuts to Brandin and CeeDee [Lamb] on the one-on-ones, because that clearly would put us in a third-and-short. I was trying to get to third-and-five or less to give us a chance to convert and end the game. That was the thinking there, clearly understanding the time clock and so forth. We had three downs. We were going to keep clock running on two of the three. The second-down call was the one that would have given a chance to put the game away.”

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wasn't made at the throw, just that it was such a low percentage shot.
Oh for sure. Def. did not like what they did on that down but I see a lot of people complaining about "time management" and throwing....I'm for the aggressiveness. No issue at all with throwing it. I think Cowboys and Dak have earned that trust.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I wasn't made at the throw, just that it was such a low percentage shot.
It's a low-risk shot. You can't throw into traffic on a play like that.

It's no different than the play against Jax last year in the similar scenario.

You can quibble with the idea to throw it (I actually hate throwing it if you're just going to kick the field goal anyway), but you're not going to get a good look at a high-percentage throw. That's what the defense is defending against.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's a low-risk shot. You can't throw into traffic on a play like that.

It's no different than the play against Jax last year in the similar scenario.

You can quibble with the idea to throw it (I actually hate throwing it if you're just going to kick the field goal anyway), but you're not going to get a good look at a high-percentage throw. That's what the defense is defending against.
Yeah if the intent is to kick the field goal then yeah burn clock with runs. For me personally, I didn't want to give the Lions the ball back. And that was before I knew the defense was going to go prevent and play 10 yards off receivers..I FOR SURE go for the kill knowing that.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah if the intent is to kick the field goal then yeah burn clock with runs. For me personally, I didn't want to give the Lions the ball back. And that was before I knew the defense was going to go prevent and play 10 yards off receivers..I FOR SURE go for the kill knowing that.
Yea I would have gone for it on 4th. They needed a touchdown anyway - win the game with your offense.

Rowdy1

Reaction score
Horrid call by the refs. Worse than the stupid 2 pt “controversy” lol
Thats the mindboggling thing... no one is really talking about the tripping call on the WRONG TEAM just the 2pt being called back. Take that penalty off the board or call it correctly and if I am not mistaken we have 1st down then we are kneeling at that point.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
..I think the Broad threw the flag. Goes to show. Best to stick to Yoga training.

Leave man's game to the men.
Haha man this insane....all of this piss poor officiating and calls I see week in and out are coming from men. Hell I probably trust women officials more at this point at least I don't know their names for being poor hire more of them lol.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Oh geez!! No need for misogyny here. smdh :facepalm:
It's funny that some think a woman can't make bad calls just as well as a man can. If all of the male officials never missed a call and only female officials did, there would be a good argument, but that's not the case. She just happened to be the one who missed that one.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Horrid call by the refs. Worse than the stupid 2 pt “controversy” lol
And since they made that call they're getting raked over the coals on the two-point conversion. Serves them right. That's why I said I don't care if all this outrage is unjust. They absolutely deserve it.

J_Allen

Reaction score
It's funny that some think a woman can't make bad calls just as well as a man can. If all of the male officials never missed a call and only female officials did, there would be a good argument, but that's not the case. She just happened to be the one who missed that one.
What was she looking at? How do you see a Cowboys player get tripped and thinks to yourself oh he just tripped someone else? It makes you wonder if she's even qualified for that job or if she just got it because she's female. Either way I hope she's on thin ice from here on out. That was absolutely inexcusable. And the whole crew is getting slammed because of that call. Maybe next time she'll pay attention and not make **** up.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Must be time for the justice league of super hero K@%en's and Kevins to emerge again..
R.287372a6441acc4a513e60abcdc8d47c