McCarthy on tripping penalty, second-down throw

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
An obvious mistake should be fixed by a ref in the both!

The ref in the both can immediately see the tripping was called on the wrong player. Call down and tell the head official to pickup the flag! Why is this so complicated to the NFL!!!
I've always felt that with technology, the booth should be more involved. You could have a team of officials review each play and be given a certain amount to time to rule whether it was the correct call or not. I know that there is concern with making games longer, but if it was something where they were only given a few seconds to flag it, it think it would be worth it.

J_Allen

Reaction score
This is insane. You have no idea if she was qualified. She made a bad call lol. It's not this serious. And my point is....the call wasn't as clear as it was to us on replay if no one came in and overrides her call.
I don't understand why it's insane. The game was over until she stepped in and guessed who got tripped. Usually when I see someone's legs sticking out and then I see another one tumbling over I can determine who did the tripping. So she can't make that determination then no she's not qualified.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
Thats the mindboggling thing... no one is really talking about the tripping call on the WRONG TEAM just the 2pt being called back. Take that penalty off the board or call it correctly and if I am not mistaken we have 1st down then we are kneeling at that point.
I keep hearing this, but it's not true.

If they call tripping on Detroit, the clock is stopped at the two minute warning and we have a first and 10 at the 11 yard line. Detroit still has 2 timeouts. We can't kneel the clock out at that point. We can drain the clock down by 40 seconds, but they'll still get it back.

If they don't call any foul at all on the play, it's 2nd and 3 with the clock stopped (after Detroit timeout) and we need 3 yards to win.

It definitely increases our chances of winning the game without giving them the ball back at all, or at least with much less time on the clock, but it far from a kneel down situation.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I still didn't like that 2nd down throw, gotta run clock in that situation, the FG was a there anyway.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I still didn't like that 2nd down throw, gotta run clock in that situation, the FG was a there anyway.
He doesn't understand clock management and Quinn doesn't understand to stop calling prevent defenses that let the other team run down the field. So we're screwed on both sides.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I keep hearing this, but it's not true.

If they call tripping on Detroit, the clock is stopped at the two minute warning and we have a first and 10 at the 11 yard line. Detroit still has 2 timeouts. We can't kneel the clock out at that point. We can drain the clock down by 40 seconds, but they'll still get it back.

If they don't call any foul at all on the play, it's 2nd and 3 with the clock stopped (after Detroit timeout) and we need 3 yards to win.

It definitely increases our chances of winning the game without giving them the ball back at all, or at least with much less time on the clock, but it far from a kneel down situation.
That's where the smart decision would be to decline the penalty.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He doesn't understand clock management and Quinn doesn't understand to stop calling prevent defenses that let the other team run down the field. So we're screwed on both sides.
Yeah we're screwed!!

So bad, 3-12 win seasons in a row, three playoff seasons in a row, they're so horrible... Man if they were good we'd be 17 and oh and win the Super bowl every year I mean find me that guy you're right Oh my God where is this coaching staff and players to get us undefeated and be perfect weekend and week out and have no flaws maybe we could have 53 Pro Bowl players so that way we don't have to worry about you whining about the depth...

I don't know what we should do we should just get better coaches better players a better quarterback ,

we need everything because according to this place we're in shambles, we have nothing, then you add in the refs screwing us around and we're supposed to be OK with that since we just going to blame everyone else!!!!

man some of you are so so great in informing us of everything that's bad about our own team, in our own forums,

man I think some of you need to start planning ahead so you can really complain when we are A 5 win team three years in a row.. With a truly bad quarterback and a truly bad coaching staff maybe the reality wake up call would be if this team was really bad for a lot of years....

finally some of you would wake up and realize you should appreciate what we got here right now and not lift your leg on every single thing...

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Thats the mindboggling thing... no one is really talking about the tripping call on the WRONG TEAM just the 2pt being called back. Take that penalty off the board or call it correctly and if I am not mistaken we have 1st down then we are kneeling at that point.
We would have a 2nd and 3 with a running clock. Det takes a TO, and if we get a first down — we can kneel from there.

Huge difference between 2nd and 3 and 1st and 25. Brutally bad call that could have had massive implications if Det had actually won the game.

Ironically— the 2pt “controversy” that resulted in Dallas winning actually preserved the correct outcome lol

J_Allen

Reaction score
Yeah we're screwed!!

So bad, 3-12 win seasons in a row, three playoff seasons in a row, they're so horrible... Man if they were good we'd be 17 and oh and win the Super bowl every year I mean find me that guy you're right Oh my God where is this coaching staff and players to get us undefeated and be perfect weekend and week out and have no flaws maybe we could have 53 Pro Bowl players so that way we don't have to worry about you whining about the depth...

I don't know what we should do we should just get better coaches better players a better quarterback ,

we need everything because according to this place we're in shambles, we have nothing, then you add in the refs screwing us around and we're supposed to be OK with that since we just going to blame everyone else!!!!

man some of you are so so great in informing us of everything that's bad about our own team, in our own forums,

man I think some of you need to start planning ahead so you can really complain when we are A 5 win team three years in a row.. With a truly bad quarterback and a truly bad coaching staff maybe the reality wake up call would be if this team was really bad for a lot of years....

finally some of you would wake up and realize you should appreciate what we got here right now and not lift your leg on every single thing...
In that regard we are screwed and I'm glad you're satisfied with making the same mistakes and not going anywhere in the playoffs. I know Jerry appreciates it too.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yeah we're screwed!!

until we win a SB this craziness will go on. The mental gymnastics are nuts with some fans. Its extremely hard to win 12 games in this league, let alone, 3 years in a row.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Yeah but they shouldn't have to override her call when it comes to something that egregious. I have never seen somebody get tripped and think to myself "oh they just tripped somebody else! How dare them!" She does not need to be a ref and it's her fault the whole nation is angry at the crew. Maybe next game she'll do her job. But they're not going to be in the playoffs because of her. That's why you don't give jobs to People based on appearance. You based it on merit. She has none.
Just looking at her profile, she has over 23 years experience as an official, including 8 in the NFL. She has officiated bowl games and the SB...that doesn't sound like it was based solely on appearance.

Every single week of every every single season we complain about the refs for wrong calls and missed calls..
Not sure why this one is any different to the point her gender has to be called out.

Rayman70

Reaction score
In that regard we are screwed and I'm glad you're satisfied with making the same mistakes and not going anywhere in the playoffs. I know Jerry appreciates it too.
can we at least wait and see? Maybe this is the year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Just looking at her profile, she has over 23 years experience as an official, including 8 in the NFL. She has officiated bowl games and the SB...that doesn't sound like it was based solely on appearance.

Every single week of every every single season we complain about the refs for wrong calls and missed calls..
Not sure why this one is any different to the point her gender has to be called out.
she needs reprimanded. Refs HAVE TO BE BETTER and held to a higher standard. Too much is at stake.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
she needs reprimanded. Refs HAVE TO BE BETTER and held to a higher standard. Too much is at stake.
It's one thing to say officials need to be held accountable for their work performance which is much different than saying she was hired based on appearance and not her experience...or that she should stick to being a Yoga instructor.